PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pittsburgh Troll Agrees With Overturning the TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stand up post, see you in January. Hopefully no more injuries with brown/haden and kvn/hogan/branch/burk back for round 2.

the only thing ill say is it looked like he had possession with one knee down, and then dove for the end zone, which in my mind is "making a football play"

i understand the outrage, but im happy we finally caught a break .

I have to admit, I didn't understand it either. I mean, I saw the ball move when it hit the ground but assumed the same as you.

But when I thought about it, the knee establishes possession in-bounds, but it was the act of going to the ground that was the problem. The Dez Bryant non-catch and the Calvin Johnson no-catch were closer than this one.

Still, there was no contact in this one so it kind of skipped my mind until the replay started taking a while. If James had not gone down on his own, but caught the ball while standing and then dove, I guess it would have counted. Or maybe not.

We've seen a few different games where reaching for the goal line has cost a team. The Seahawks have also forced a few turnovers. It makes me wonder if the coaches around the league are going to make it more of a point of emphasis.

the only thing ill say is it looked like he had possession with one knee down, and then dove for the end zone, which in my mind is "making a football play"

Need to have total control. It will be called every time unless they change the rules.

You have to survive the ground. That’s the rule. Whatever you are saying here isnt the rule.

Wow, a lot of bold and condescending talk, after the narrowest of wins, from Pats fans who were trashing their own team all game long. (Yes, I followed the game thread.) To suggest the game wouldn't have been different with Brown in there is burying heads in the sand. Ben outplayed Brady until the last play. We'll see what happens in January.

Your team played a nearly perfect first half, your front-7 overachieved, the Patriots who were decimated by injuries played exceptionally poorly in terms of execution, play calling and coaching, and you still managed to lose... at home.

The fact that the Patriots were able to stay in the game, enough so to ultimately win it, despite their relatively poor play, and the Steelers relatively strong play, speaks to how much better prepared the Patriots are from top to bottom.

The fact that the Pats won that game, let alone were even in it, should be incredibly concerning to you.

Oh, and seriously, using the Brown injury as an excuse? Weak.

Edelman, Hightower, Van Noy, Hogan, Cannon, Branch, Rivers, Burkhead, Bennett, Ebner and Mitchell.

Every team is impacted by injuries. Just because your team is less capable of dealing with injuries and moving forward without a given player doesn't mean that other teams don't have injured players as well.

Last edited:
@Bruins29 legitimately disliking posts without actually reading the content of them, presumably because I 'disliked' his vulgar, threatening posts in another thread.
Are you going to cry?

Wow, a lot of bold and condescending talk, after the narrowest of wins, from Pats fans who were trashing their own team all game long. (Yes, I followed the game thread.) To suggest the game wouldn't have been different with Brown in there is burying heads in the sand. Ben outplayed Brady until the last play. We'll see what happens in January.

Great, so you lost AB. Pats have been without Edelman and Mitchell, all season long, and were without Hogan tonight, and lost Burkhead half way through the game. And I haven't even gotten to the defense. Steelers fans should be the last ones to whine about injured players... there's no other team that has lost as many as NE has.

We didn't catch a break. The call was reversed correctly. You may not like the rule (different story), but we didn't 'catch a break'.

People saying it was a TD just show they are either biased or don't know rules.

He never established possession as a runner, which means the ball has to survive the ground. This rule is no different than if a receiver catches in-bounds on the sideline and immediately falls out without making a move and losses the ball, it would be called in-complete because he didn't survive the ground.

if this was at midfield or if he was going out of bounds no-one would bat an eyelid that it was called incomplete.

The ball crossing the goal-line on this type of play doesn't mean anything if he never established himself as a runner in possession.

Great, so you lost AB. Pats have been without Edelman and Mitchell, all season long, and were without Hogan tonight, and lost Burkhead half way through the game. And I haven't even gotten to the defense. Steelers fans should be the last ones to whine about injured players... there's no other team that has lost as many as NE has.

Pats currently without their
#1, #3 and #4 WR (Edelman, Hogan and Mitchell)
#1 RT (Cannon)
#1, #2 and #3 LB (Hightower, Van Noy and McClellin)
#3 and #4 DT (Branch and Valentine)
Top Rookie draft pick (Rivers- DE/LB)
Lost #2 RB during the game
That's not even counting Bennett who would still be playing if his hamstring didn't go.

Pats fans are the last people that want to hear injuries being an excuse.

@Gatekeeper perhaps you should be mad that your HOF QB was told to throw when he wanted to spike it?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ben Roethlisberger says there was a difference of opinion on <a href="#Steelers hashtag on Twitter">#Steelers</a> final play. &quot;It wasn&#39;t a fake spike. I was yelling &#39;clock it&#39; b/c I felt that was the thing to do, to clock it and get yourself one play. And it came from the sideline: &#39;Don&#39;t clock it, don&#39;t clock it.&#39;&quot;</p>&mdash; Aditi Kinkhabwala (@AKinkhabwala) <a href="">December 18, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Way too conservative on their 2nd to last drive. Meanwhile Pats refuse to take a field goal earlier and play to win the game.

Bingo. I mentioned it in a recent post in another thread. NE has the killer instinct that Pit lacks.

AB isn’t leading your team to a Super Bowl. Teams with superstar wide receivers don’t win Super Bowls. Hell, even superstar running backs don’t do much to help those chances either. Those are the 2 most overrated positions to be elite at. You just need to have solid talent there. The Steelers defense has gotten worse over the past few weeks as well so they don’t have that to fall back on. The reliance on other teams imploding won’t be something they can fall back on in January either.

No, he's not, with a torn calf. But I get what you're saying. AB isn't the most valuable player on the team, just like Gronk isn't for the Pats. If either team's QB goes down, season over. Ben had a brain fart at the end, but he played well enough to win.

@Gatekeeper perhaps you should be mad that your HOF QB was told to throw when he wanted to spike it?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ben Roethlisberger says there was a difference of opinion on <a href="#Steelers hashtag on Twitter">#Steelers</a> final play. &quot;It wasn&#39;t a fake spike. I was yelling &#39;clock it&#39; b/c I felt that was the thing to do, to clock it and get yourself one play. And it came from the sideline: &#39;Don&#39;t clock it, don&#39;t clock it.&#39;&quot;</p>&mdash; Aditi Kinkhabwala (@AKinkhabwala) <a href="">December 18, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Idk what that's all about. His explanation doesn't jive, because it was 3rd down if I'm not mistaken. Next play was either a FG for overtime, or the most ballsy call in history to go for the win on the 4th down. Whatever the case, Eli was the only guy in the endzone for Pit, and there were about 15 Pats back there. Not a good throw.

well said.......hope he is back for rematch

great game.....but you dont have to be a troll.....someone as smart as you should make an effort to be a productive poster

Thanks for the kind words. I don't think my posts are all that trollish, but I like to keep things interesting. I actually kinda like the Pats. I like Tom. Gronk, not so much. His celebrations are highly annoying.

There may be a curse situation going on here. Pit deserved to win that game, by all accounts.

Pats currently without their
#1, #3 and #4 WR (Edelman, Hogan and Mitchell)
#1 RT (Cannon)
#1, #2 and #3 LB (Hightower, Van Noy and McClellin)
#3 and #4 DT (Branch and Valentine)
Top Rookie draft pick (Rivers- DE/LB)
Lost #2 RB during the game
That's not even counting Bennett who would still be playing if his hamstring didn't go.

Pats fans are the last people that want to hear injuries being an excuse.

I say this as objectively as possible. A well-deserved win, but your team has some serious issues with 3rd down on both sides of the ball.

Why is it Romo never mentions the missing Patriot players but constantly chirps about how Pits was always missing players in the 'other' meetings.

Stand up post, see you in January. Hopefully no more injuries with brown/haden and kvn/hogan/branch/burk back for round 2.

Yeah, I'd like to see both squads full-strength. Just one time I'd like to see these guys get the best of TB in the playoffs. Shazier is a big loss though.

Just one time I'd like to see these guys get the best of TB in the playoffs.

Wish I could be the arrogant fan and say no way, but the steelers seem like a different team this year. More consistent, have the ability to win close games(regardless of what people say about ‘ugly’ wins 11-3 is 11-3), and this is the most competitive theyve played us since ‘11. If theres a rematch we’ll need a better performance, as great as tb is you can only ask for so many 4th quarters like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down