Pittsburgh reactions to Dont'a Hightower visiting Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Pittsburgh reactions to Dont'a Hightower visiting Steelers

John Morgan

New England natives have strong opinions on Dont’a Hightower, with crucial plays from Super Bowls 49 and 51 etched in their memory. As the linebacker makes his free agency tour, how do western PA writers and fans view the potential of seeing Hightower wearing black and gold at Heinz Field?

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Some interesting (at least to me) sour grapes from one of the Steelers' premier beat reporters in regards to Hightower re-signing with New England.

By heading back to New England, Dont'a Hightower does the Steelers a favor

After making valid points that Pittsburgh had other positions of far more pressing needs, Bouchette lands this shot that needs to go up on the bulletin board when the Pats host the Steelers next fall:

Hightower is overrated and overhyped, partly because he made two key plays to help the Patriots win two Super Bowls, partly because he was a first-round draft pick and partly, well, because he played in New England.

But if he was so valuable to the Patriots, why didn’t they sign him to an extension last year, and why did they let him test free agency?​

News flash: Hightower and the Patriots could not agree to terms last year. Apparently Bouchette believes the Patriots should have given him whatever he asked for, no questions asked? Since when does a successful organization such as the Patriots - or Steelers - do that?

Hightower is an inside linebacker, and the Steelers lost one of the best at that position when Lawrence Timmons signed with the Dolphins for two years and $12 million. But with Ryan Shazier and Vince Williams, they still seemed to be set at their inside starters for 2017.

Would Hightower been an improvement over Williams? Maybe, but maybe not much. Certainly, it would have been a luxury you’d think a team like the Steelers couldn’t afford.​

Wait, what? Vince Williams is as good as Hightower? He has been good on special teams, but has all of six starts due to injuries in the last three years. Sure he performed well in very limited opportunities, but Bouchette is getting way ahead of himself here.

Perhaps the Steelers thought they could use Hightower on the outside, since Bill Belichick moved him all around in New England’s defense. But there is little to show that he would have flourished out there, and he’s certainly not one to cover receivers as James Harrison and the other Steelers outside linebackers must.​

Are you seriously suggesting that a 39 year old James Harrison is superior in pass coverage than Hightower, who is 12 years younger?

Bouchette then denigrates Hightower based on his career sack totals, which completely avoids the difference between New England and Pittsburgh's defensive schemes. Hightower is also dissed for missing a handful of games (though the same rationale does not apply to Ryan Shazier, who is a demi-god in Pittsburgh).

Then there is this doozy:

The Steelers would have been better off signing Timmons to the deal Miami gave him instead of throwing money at Hightower, who at 27 may have his best years behind him.​

Woah, what?! This statement is the ultimate head scratcher that left me literally shaking my head. Why? Timmons is about to turn 31! If Hightower is over the hill then what is Timmons? Or for that matter, Harrison?

I could understand if Bouchette felt Timmons is a better fit than Hightower to Pittsburgh's defense; that would be logical reasoning. But in what universe does a 27 year old linebacker "have his best years behind him", so therefore the team is better off signing a 31 year old player?

I just gone done commenting on this article in another thread. Total hissy fit from the biggest fan boy beat writer in the NFL.

Bouchette also declared last offseason that Ben is better than Brady, since Brady is old.

Why do we care about what our *****es think? More importantly, when did we allow the Steelers or their fans to have their own opinions on anything? They should be busy making us sandwiches or something.

All that Bouchette article is doing is what Homer is doing in this gif:

get

No need for all the hostilities.... once Patriots beat the Steelers @ Heinz Field in 2017 regular season is enough said....

:rolleyes:

I look forward with anticipation to the Squealers again "assuming the position" this coming season.

It's too bad that Bouchette's black and gold colored glasses only allow him to see things from this vantage point. Times change.

ten_6.png

Just play zone again, see what happens

Totally heard Sam Jackson "Play 'zone' again. Play 'zone' again, I dare you, I double dare you mother^%$#@, play zone one more &^%damn time!"

• Ha Ha
Reactions: jah
The funny thing is if they try to go man so they don't get touched yet again playing zone, we went out and got Brandin Cooks to scorch their secondary.

Hightower is overrated and overhyped, partly because he made two key plays to help the Patriots win two Super Bowls, partly because he was a first-round draft pick and partly, well, because he played in New England.

This is just dumb. "Hightower is overrated because he made two key plays to help the Patriots win two Super Bowls."

Um, wouldn't that make him... properly rated? That is the whole point of playing in the NFL, right?

It's like saying, "George Washington is overrated in part because he lead the rebels to a win in the Revolutionary War."

The media was reporting that Hightower was gone and was going to reset the market. And he ended up back in New England for a pretty fair deal. I am done listening to all reports from the media they don't know ****.. including all this Malcolm Butler business.

Giardi was saying that HT has been in Sabans and Belichicks systems for 8+ years and maybe he wanted to take it easy somewhere else.. I am pretty sure what ever team you play for as an NFL player you are going to be pushed to your physical limits. The Patriots might require more psychological toughness and being more prepared but all NFL teams are tough to play for.

All this sports talk and local and national sporting 24-7 around the clock news is obviously misleading. I understand its a business and clicks and views are what matter, not the facts.

Almost coughed up my cheerios yesterday reading a couple of the articles.

Steeler fan basically claimed glad they didnt get Hightower but in the same paragraph said "Now lets go get Revis."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST