PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PHOTO: Jakobi Meyers Looks Ahead To Year Two In The NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats need 2 of the Harry, Meyers, Sanu, Lee group to emerge as 2014 LaFell type players. Has been a while since one of the veteran WR acquisitions really worked out and hopefully that trends changes this year. A lot of ifs but if one of them emerges, Edelman stays healthy and TE is not a complete disaster the team should have enough weapons for Stidham.

If we are hoping for Harry to be a LaFell type player, are we acknowledging he's a bust?

If we are hoping for Harry to be a LaFell type player, are we acknowledging he's a bust?
Agree...Hoping that the player chosen 32nd overall in the entire draft becomes Brandon LaFell is setting the bar really, Really low.

They have a pretty good WR room????

Based on what standard?

Edelman - Very good, but aging.

Sanu - Was slow when he was young. He is now old.

Harry - Slow and incapable of beating man coverage. Bust. Trade him for a meat loaf recipe.

Jakobi - Practice squad type player.

Byrd - Maybe, but hasn't done anything of significance as of yet.

Lee - One leg

Hope for a one of the UDFA's or another free agent to hit, because this WR group is bad. They had a replay of the Pats/Texans game on earlier today, and watching the WRs was painful.
If I want "the sky is falling" take I'll ask your opinion.

According to you everyone who hasn't already been successful sucks.

A year from now you'll ignore how young players you said were busts and jags are doing well.

A year from now you'll ignore how young players you said were busts and jags are doing well.

You said it's a "pretty good" WR group. I'm asking by what standard? They are much closer to the worst WR group in the league than they are to "pretty good". Brady would still be here with a "pretty good" WR group.

Sometimes you have to take what the Corn Shucker says with a grain of salt.

ezgif.com-resize (4).gif

You said it's a "pretty good" WR group. I'm asking by what standard? They are much closer to the worst WR group in the league than they are to "pretty good". Brady would still be here with a "pretty good" WR group.
Brady has maybe the best collection of receiving weapons in pro football history in Tampa, pretty sure that's what he wanted and frankly at his age deserved.

Just because you don't have the best positional group in the NFL, it doesn't make them the worst.

They have a lot of good young talent coming to camp, a good mix of size and speed.

Brady has maybe the best collection of receiving weapons in pro football history in Tampa, pretty sure that's what he wanted and frankly at his age deserved.

Just because you don't have the best positional group in the NFL, it doesn't make them the worst.

They have a lot of good young talent coming to camp, a good mix of size and speed.

They have little to no proven talent coming to camp, and the proven talent they have is old or injury riddled. Their 1st round pick from last year will be Laquon Treadwell by this time next year, and they wasted a 2nd on freaking Sanu. Meyers was a nice story, but he's a JAG and you know it. Byrd....who knows? Lee...one leg.

They have little to no proven talent coming to camp, and the proven talent they have is old or injury riddled. Their 1st round pick from last year will be Laquon Treadwell by this time next year, and they wasted a 2nd on freaking Sanu. Meyers was a nice story, but he's a JAG and you know it. Byrd....who knows? Lee...one leg.
They have plenty of talent, what did you prove by the age of 23?

2kzqxw.jpg

I don't think it is given that Myers makes the team

I don't think it is given that Myers makes the team

JM already has established a good working partnership with Stid.

A shortened TC will make it difficult for a newbie to overpass Myers IMO.

2020 prediction: if there will be 16 regular season games...Meyers will have between 518 and 934 receiving yards...as will Edelman, Harry, Sanu, White, and one of the new TE’s.

If they all stay relatively healthy, the Oline gives Stidham time to check down and the running game is on par with 2018...I won’t be overly concerned about the offense.

With that prediction Stidham will throw for around 4,500 yards. I actually hope this ISN'T the case because it probably means they're playing from behind a lot. In 2008 Cassel threw for 3700 yards. Adjusting for not playing the first two games of 2001 Brady averaged out to about that same 3700 over the first 6 years as a starter. Now granted it's a more pass heavy league now but I'd feel a lot better with him only having 3700 yards but being 2:1 or better on TD:INT. So something in line with 26 TDs and 12 interceptions.

To do that I think the backs need to be over 1600 yards for the season at a minimum. In 2008 Bill dialed it back on the passing game to control the game and clock and they rushed for 2,278.

They also played a ridiculously easy schedule in 2008. This year on paper looks to be a lot more difficult. If they go into Seattle, KC, Baltimore and some of these other games and chuck it around they're going to get blown out, especially on the road.

When I was younger (a lot younger) I was a top college soccer player. I had an opportunity to go to England and Sweden to train with some top professional soccer teams, some of the best in the world. I left college, where there was a great sense of connection and common purpose with my teammates, to an environment completely foreign and hostile. In England, kids quit school at 16 to try to make it as a pro athlete. These players either become celebrities making top money or they are wash out and end up "on the dole". They are not very welcoming to new players, I promise you. When I arrived a played pretty well, but very quickly lost my confidence in what is a relatively hostile environment and my game fell apart.

Imagine being Jacobi Myers, an undrafted free agent trying to be make the Patriots. No even considered good enough to be drafted. Trying to make the best team in the world. I recognize that every player on the Patriots "talks a good game" to the press, but do you honestly think that some 4 year veteran whose trying to make the team is going to be welcoming? That player is either going to make a million dollars next year or be on the street. How would you behave?

Myers comes in to training camp and plays pretty darn well. Looks like a pro. He might not even realize it, but the biggest factor in his success will likely be his ability to maintain his confidence in an environment where it's threatened every day. Now, factor in that the greatest player in NFL history treats him like an idiot day after day, play after play. Are you surprised when he loses his confidence? Are you surprised that rookies never seem to be successful in the Pats passing offense (never mind free agent veterans)? Is it all because of the complexity of the offense?

I imagine some of you will say that the Pats want players who can play under pressure and that if I'm correct it just shows that he's not mentally strong enough. Most of you who feel that way probably haven't been in that situation and may not understand how it works. Players often grow their confidence and into the ability; not everyone is born with it. For lots of players it needs to be fostered. Did Brady do that?

I'm hopeful that Myers will be a helpful young component for Stidham and the team going forward. We'll see, but I wouldn't give up on him yet.

Meyers is a lock. Harry and Sanu will be much more productive. Lee and Byrd are the x factors. Jules will be Jules. Overall this will be a much better group than last year, due to experience and assuming better health.

The biggest issue is whether the running game can return to the 2018 level, which is a tall task cause we don’t have a road grader LT like we had that year. Last year the running game just wasn’t good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back