PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Phil Perry] Patriots could take old school approach to new kickoff rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perry: Patriots may take old approach to new kickoff rules

Found this to be an interesting read. I know we acquired Patterson before the rule change, but do you think Belichick knew that a change like this was coming? Either way, getting one of the best kick returners in football for basically nothing looks like a great move
He most definitely knew that it was coming, so I think there’s a decent chance that he was brought here to provide a KR presence and also stretch the field in a Stallworth type of role.

Is he going to catch 46 balls like Stallworth did in 2007? No, but he may catch 30-35, as long as he latches onto the offense, of course. If not, he’s got a zero dead cap hit, so he can be easily released. I think it’s too early to predict too much one way or the other, but according to him Belichick stated that he “would use him the right way,” whatever that means. I believe that could be something that I mentioned in the first paragraph.

It's going to be real interesting. I think that with the elimination of the wedge blocking and taking away the running start for coverage players, there's going to be a lot more potential for home runs.

He most definitely knew that it was coming, so I think there’s a decent chance that he was brought here to provide a KR presence and also stretch the field in a Stallworth type of role.

Is he going to catch 46 balls like Stallworth did in 2007? No, but he may catch 30-35, as long as he latches onto the offense, of course. If not, he’s got a zero dead cap hit, so he can be easily released. I think it’s too early to predict too much one way or the other, but according to him Belichick stated that he “would use him the right way,” whatever that means. I believe that could be something that I mentioned in the first paragraph.

Patterson's never been a deep threat though. His average depth of target was 6 last year, 2 yards less than Danny Amendola for example (Hogan's was 14). He's a big Jarvis Landry, a YAC threat on short passes with space to run but not a deep threat. He's also traditionally had trouble getting open on his own so they'll probably have to work to scheme him into the open field. Which is fine, he's actually very efficient in terms of his productivity per opportunity, but he's not going to stretch the field regularly.

Patterson's never been a deep threat though. His average depth of target was 6 last year, 2 yards less than Danny Amendola for example (Hogan's was 14). He's a big Jarvis Landry, a YAC threat on short passes with space to run but not a deep threat. He's also traditionally had trouble getting open on his own so they'll probably have to work to scheme him into the open field. Which is fine, he's actually very efficient in terms of his productivity per opportunity, but he's not going to stretch the field regularly.

I don't have the statistics in front of me so I don't know for sure, but one impression I remember is that the Patriots used Stallworth for a lot of WR screens. That's where I think the Patriots will use Patterson (assuming he makes the team). Obviously they need to have other options when he's on the field because that would be an easy tell if that's all he did, but if he does contribute to the offense I think that's where you'd see it the most.

Agree with most of this, but Patterson isn’t actually much of a deep threat, despite his speed. Evan Lazar (I believe) did a great Twitter thread on the subject.
Basically Patterson’s a monster when he’s schemed open, but his footwork and hands mean that he can’t get open deep on his own

It's going to be real interesting. I think that with the elimination of the wedge blocking and taking away the running start for coverage players, there's going to be a lot more potential for home runs.

A simple change that could help with the kick-off injury issue - add this:

"Through the Uprights" Touch-back - Receiving team gets the ball at their 15 yard line

I don't have the statistics in front of me so I don't know for sure, but one impression I remember is that the Patriots used Stallworth for a lot of WR screens. That's where I think the Patriots will use Patterson (assuming he makes the team). Obviously they need to have other options when he's on the field because that would be an easy tell if that's all he did, but if he does contribute to the offense I think that's where you'd see it the most.

Stallworth averaged 15.1 yards per reception over the course of his career, Patterson has averaged 10. They're in no way comparable players. Stallworth was a pretty traditional downfield threat, even in his brief second go-around with the Patriots. Patterson is a short-area, yards after catch guy whose strengths have to be maximized through schemes.

Agree with most of this, but Patterson isn’t actually much of a deep threat, despite his speed. Evan Lazar (I believe) did a great Twitter thread on the subject.
Basically Patterson’s a monster when he’s schemed open, but his footwork and hands mean that he can’t get open deep on his own
I had assumed that maybe his speed + Belichick’s promise to him of “using him correctly” (paraphrase) may lead him to stretching the field a bit more, even if he hadn’t been used that way in the past. I had not seen Lazar’s report. Thanks.

I had assumed that maybe his speed + Belichick’s promise to him of “using him correctly” (paraphrase) may lead him to stretching the field a bit more, even if he hadn’t been used that way in the past. I had not seen Lazar’s report. Thanks.
I hope that happens, it would be great if he could be more than a gadget guy. And obviously Belichick knows more about football than me, you, or Lazar. Maybe he can turn him into a legit receiving threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye