PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT Sat 3/15: Pats, Edelman working on a new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news if true. Would love to welcome Edelman back so long as the price is reasonable. Not a lot left out there at FA WR anyways unless you count James Jones who might be marginally better but isn't proven in our system.

Volin and Howe are painting a bit of a different picture vs Florio's report of "working on a new deal."

Volin--"Source says Edelman is still talking with the Pats even after his visit with 49ers today."

Howe--"Pats and Edelman still talking. Basically the same deal we've known since he turned down Tuesday's offer."

Both tweets are within the past 10 minutes.

One contract floated a couple of days ago was 3/$14M. This might translate to $1M, $3M, $4M and a $6M bonus. The 2014 cap hit would be $3M plus workout bonus.

Do we know what the money was on the original offer yet?

If true, the offer of 3/14 is a pretty fair one, and would be directly with most of our projections all offseason.

Volin and Howe are painting a bit of a different picture vs Florio's report of "working on a new deal."

Volin--"Source says Edelman is still talking with the Pats even after his visit with 49ers today."

Howe--"Pats and Edelman still talking. Basically the same deal we've known since he turned down Tuesday's offer."

Both tweets are within the past 10 minutes.

Same thing the article says. Says nothing about a "new" deal.

Even another million on the 3rd year would be fine. There would be no effect on the 2014 cap.

If true, the offer of 3/14 is a pretty fair one, and would be directly with most of our projections all offseason.

Same thing the article says. Says nothing about a "new" deal.

Poor wording on Florio's part in suggesting such by the title.

Even another million on the 3rd year would be fine. There would be no effect on the 3014 cap.

To hell with the 3014 cap. We'll all be long gone anyway! :)

Clearly Julian is finding out that much like last season, the Pats contract offer is pretty much what the rest of the league sees his value. Now clearly its jumped a great deal since last season at this time, but still the same.

Its also a reflection of the old adage that a teams fans always over value our own players. It should have been a tip off when the Browns chose to offer a RFA AHawkins, who plays the slot, a contract instead of a guy who caught a 100 passes and over 1000 yds.

Evidently the rest of the NFL is starting to come to the conclusion that the system and the QB are more important to the production of the slot receiver than the receiver himself.

If he returns, now the question becomes, how will he be used in the offense to the degree that would justify his contract. One possibility is that the offense evolves from that 2 TE look, to a 2 slot back look, with either Edelman or Amendola taking the move TE's role. The trade off being less size, but more speed and quickness. Its interesting to note that both are willing and able blockers, despite their size. Just a thought.

BTW- I see the deal as winding up just over $3MM/yr in real money, and IMHO JE's ST's play is worth at least a million of that.

Edelman's consistent production in the return game is the main reason I want the Pats to resign him. I think you can replace his receiving (and I don't think you want him catching 100 balls), but the return game gives him added value.

Hopefully we can resign Edelman for the right price and don't over pay.

Scenario A
Edelman
Free Agent Center
Draft DT in 1st, DE in 2nd, TE in 3rd, OG in 4th

Scenario B
James Jones
Free Agent center
Draft DT in 1st, DE in 2nd, TE in 3rd, OG in 4th

Scenario C
Jared Allen
Free Agent center
Draft DT in 1st, WR in 2nd, TE in 3rd, OG in 4th

They really need another receive. Edelman, amendola and dobson won't be enough.

If he returns, now the question becomes, how will he be used in the offense to the degree that would justify his contract. The trade off being less size, but more speed and quickness. Its interesting to note that both are willing and able blockers, despite their size. Just a thought.

I sure as hell hope not. Imo a high powered two TE offense is how you beat teams like Seattle and SF, and they would eat a two slot offense alive. I think both Edelman and Amendola can play inside and out and what he would bring them is a guy who really knows this system, who will produce for them, and gives them insurance and redundancy at the position, but imo they still need a dangerous receiving TE to get their offense back to full speed.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your post and all things considered see a strong likelihood of Edelman returning to NE.

They really need another receive. Edelman, amendola and dobson won't be enough.

I'm not too sure about that though....Dobson of this year should be much better than last year.

and you have to think with some improvements from boyce/Thompkins and the receiving corps should be better than last year.

my only probel mis that it makes us small at WR. Dobson is our only guy over 6feet.

This is good news.

Who knows how many games Amendola will play next year?

Edelman is ssid to be the first one in and last one to leave type of guy.

He will be a great option for Brady next season. If were going to have an awesome D, lets give Tom as many options to score as possible. :)

I wouldn't put any stock in this report.

Florio is passing on a Jason LaCanfora tweet. LaCanfora is one of the guys who just puts out what agents give him. He reported multiple times over the past 2 days that Browner was "in Washington."

Combine it with the local guys info and I'm sure what you have hear is Edelman's agents trying to flush out any more possible interest by leaking he may just be going back to NE.

I sure as hell hope not. Imo a high powered two TE offense is how you beat teams like Seattle and SF, and they would eat a two slot offense alive. I think both Edelman and Amendola can play inside and out and what he would bring them is a guy who really knows this system, who will produce for them, and gives them insurance and redundancy at the position, but imo they still need a dangerous receiving TE to get their offense back to full speed.

I pretty much agree with the rest of your post and all things considered see a strong likelihood of Edelman returning to NE.

IMO the way to beat Seattle's D which is not hard to figure out, but hard to contest (because it is so physical) is to beat their bump and run with stacks and trips (overload) because they will shift to zone when one side is overloaded, and that is where Edelman is valuable to us as the under man on the stack. He has a good feel for where the open space is going to form.

I really hope Edelman comes back to us, not just for that but for his ST play. I feel he is (and apparently so does the rest of the league in that they have not signed him after four days of FA) most valuable in our system.

Good "news," I guess. But as I commented there
In other news, local team negotiates with it’s own Free Agents. I did not know Florio worked for the Onion too.:)

i have to adnit i hope Edelman will stay with us

last year was simply awesome

a real good football playier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back