PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT makes case for Brady "having a better season than 2007" and being an MVP candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I really enjoyed this piece on Brady's achievements this season -- not so much in the context of statistics, but mainly considering his unprecedented level of play at age 39

Just for more context, here's a comparison of Manning at age 39:

NFL morning after: Tom Brady’s impressive season

Tom Brady had one of the great regular seasons in NFL history in 2007, throwing for 50 touchdown passes as the Patriots became the only 16-0 team the league has ever seen. It might seem silly to say anything Brady has done in the years since could possibly rate with that season.

And yet as Brady completed his 2016 season on Sunday, it occurred to me that I’m even more impressed with what Brady is doing this year than I was back in 2007.

Brady is 39 years old, ancient by the standards of an NFL player. He began this season by serving a four-game suspension for Deflategate, something that easily could have rattled him mentally. It would have been completely understandable if Brady had taken a huge step backward this year.

And yet Brady’s season was incredible: He threw 28 touchdown passes and only two interceptions, the best touchdown-to-interception ratio in NFL history. His passer rating of 112.2 was the second-best of his career. And he led the Patriots to an NFL-best record of 14-2.

Brady did all that without anything like the receiving corps he had in 2007, when Randy Moss was the NFL’s best deep threat and Wes Welker was the NFL’s best possession receiver. The Patriots’ receivers — Julian Edelman, Chris Hogan, Malcolm Mitchell, Danny Amendola — are fine as far as they go, but they’re mostly pedestrian players who know their role in the Patriots’ offense. Rob Gronkowski is the NFL’s best tight end when he’s healthy, but Gronk only played with Brady in six games, and got hurt in two of them, with the second injury ending his season. Brady in 2016 didn’t have even close to the weapons that Brady in 2007.

When we talk about Brady’s career, we focus so much on his four Super Bowl rings that I think we may actually underrate how great a player he’s been in the regular season. On Sunday, Brady moved ahead of Dan Marino for fourth place in NFL history for regular-season passing yards. He’s also fourth all-time in regular-season passing touchdowns. He’s also the only player ever to win the regular-season MVP award unanimously.

He may win his third regular-season MVP award this year. If he does, he’ll be the oldest MVP in league history. What he has done this season, a season that started with him sitting at home, is nothing short of remarkable.

Last edited:
Suck it up Goodell (and Cronies) dipshits.

That wasn't Florio - it was Michael David Smith.

One aspect that seems to have been totally overlooked in the review of TB's suspension is that it wasn't just 4 games that he missed. As a result of that punishment he was limited in pre-season practices and games, as the team had to prepare JG and JB for the first 4 games. Furthermore he was unable to practice completely during the first 4 weeks of the season. This meant that one of his biggest opportunities was negated; that is the ability to constantly work on timing of routes and help new offensive teammates to adjust to the Patriot schemes. This has always been the bedrock of TB's preparations, endless repetitions and turning theory into practice. All this heavily handicapped him coming into week 5. I am sure that few, if any, other positions are as deeply affected by lack of practice and preparation. Yet he achieved his record breaking stats despite that impediment. Would any other quarterback have overcome such obstacles (barring injuries of course), and thrived as well as Brady?

I don't really care if TB doesn't win MVP, and am quite happy for Ryan to take the honor. I would be annoyed if Rodgers got it however, as he has had few if any obstacles over the season, and was noticeably lacking in effort/execution in the earlier season games. It's almost a mark of extreme distinction that TB has performed as exceptionally as he has over the last 17 seasons, and yet only won MVP twice. The comparison to others who have played less impressively and won it 3 or more times, only highlights the slights.

I am hoping instead that he wins his 4th game MVP in Houston.

There pretty much a lock for Houston. Even though I picked GB vs NE I actually hope its Dallas vs NE.. I think that will be the most fun.

Would Dallas vs New England obtain the highest rated Super Bowl in History? I would have thought the 2007 Super Bowl would have been the highest rated SB ever.

There has to be a difference between most people and highest rated. But well the Seahawks vs New England had 49.7% almost half the TV's in the USA had the Super Bowl on in 2014. I think thats the most ever.

I was as or more impressed with Brady's 2006 season when he carried what was probably the worst receiving corps in the league to a 12-4 record and just one play away from another Super Bowl than I was with his record breaking 2007 season.

Screw this guy.

Take out Moss and the 2016 personnel holds it own vs 2007.

07 Welker was elite but JE11 is no slouch.

16 games of Gronk make it better.

More impressive... I think so.

Better? Absolutely not.

Screw this guy.

Take out Moss and the 2016 personnel holds it own vs 2007.

07 Welker was elite but JE11 is no slouch.

16 games of Gronk make it better.

He's only counting the "6" games he had Gronk for, so you can pretty much take him out of the picture. I think Randy really makes THAT much of a difference. Just look back at that game in Miami where Brady just chucked it into the endzone to a double-cover Moss. 2 ridiculous TDs. Pretty much any other receiver in the league and that would be at least 1 INT. You just couldn't defend Moss in the redzone.

I love Gronk, but even him, when you are talking purely a stats machine, can't compare to Moss. Plus, as you mentioned, Welker was the best slot receiver the game maybe ever saw. That combo was just uncoverable. And I love JE11, but he is no Welker. I obviously have a ton of love/respect for his performance in the playoffs 2 years ago, the guys 185% effort 125% of the time, but realistically, he's simply not Welker.

I'd take the '07 Moss + Welker combo (plus jags) over any combination(3, 4, however many you want) of current NFL receivers.

Ranking seasons over the 07 season has become the cool thing to do I've noticed. I almost forget how great that team was when reading comments from others. You would almost think that team wasn't one win away from being declared the best team ever or something.

He's only counting the "6" games he had Gronk for, so you can pretty much take him out of the picture. I think Randy really makes THAT much of a difference. Just look back at that game in Miami where Brady just chucked it into the endzone to a double-cover Moss. 2 ridiculous TDs. Pretty much any other receiver in the league and that would be at least 1 INT. You just couldn't defend Moss in the redzone.

I love Gronk, but even him, when you are talking purely a stats machine, can't compare to Moss. Plus, as you mentioned, Welker was the best slot receiver the game maybe ever saw. That combo was just uncoverable. And I love JE11, but he is no Welker. I obviously have a ton of love/respect for his performance in the playoffs 2 years ago, the guys 185% effort 125% of the time, but realistically, he's simply not Welker.

I'd take the '07 Moss + Welker combo (plus jags) over any combination(3, 4, however many you want) of current NFL receivers.

Gronk at full strength and 07 Moss at full strength is a draw.

Forget about the stats for a moment. Keep in mind their entire package. Blocking. Manipulating coverage. Red zone.

WW > JE but JE is pretty damn close healthy.

Gronk at full strength and 07 Moss at full strength is a draw.

Forget about the stats for a moment. Keep in mind their entire package. Blocking. Manipulating coverage. Red zone.

WW > JE but JE is pretty damn close healthy.

But we are talking about stats (Brady '07 to '16). I'd actually rather have a healthy Gronk than '07 Moss due to his blocking ability, but that doesn't show up in Brady's stats (for the most part). Gronk has such an impact over the entire offense and makes it harder to stop, due to how he effect's pass/run blocking, as you said.

Moss made every QB he played with (minus Oak and leaving the Pats) an instant MVP candidate. Gronk is pretty damn great in the passing game, but Moss was the best ever.

But we are talking about stats (Brady '07 to '16). I'd actually rather have a healthy Gronk than '07 Moss due to his blocking ability, but that doesn't show up in Brady's stats (for the most part). Gronk has such an impact over the entire offense and makes it harder to stop, due to how he effect's pass/run blocking, as you said.

Moss made every QB he played with (minus Oak and leaving the Pats) an instant MVP candidate. Gronk is pretty damn great in the passing game, but Moss was the best ever.

You've stated my position on why Gronk and Moss are even.

Both are once in a generation talents that change ballgames in different ways.

Thats why I said its a draw.

You've stated my position on why Gronk and Moss are even.

Both are once in a generation talents that change ballgames in different ways.

Thats why I said its a draw.

But it doesn't show up evenly in that stats, which is my point. Moss would allow the Pats to have those 50 point monster games, where Brady would throw for 6TDs with a ridiculous rating. Gronk's impact is not just more balanced, but also makes the offense harder to stop, game in game out. The Gronk team won't put as many points on the board at the end of the season, however, or blow Brady's stats up into uncharted territory, though, like Moss could. THAT is my point. It is stats. A dominant run game, thanks to Gronks blocking, doesn't show up in Brady's stat line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3