PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Belichick sees Dramatic Improvement in Mac

According to some observations his arm is stronger, but not in Josh Allens league

As for the things that actually matter, Jones’ arm looks stronger (as does the rest of him, which you’ve certainly read about by now). There’s more zip on his short passes and the deep ball impressed last month at minicamp. He’s not about to whip passes like Josh Allen, but there’s a marked improvement here.

Even a small improvement probably turns that INT in the wild card game into a TD. Looking forward to the preseason.

Really Mac is going to be a lot more and more better. As Burrow skyrocketed his team to the Super Bowl. Hope Jones can do that.

That didn’t happen. Burrow was actually pretty meh in the playoffs. His defense is what got them to the Super Bowl.

That didn’t happen. Burrow was actually pretty meh in the playoffs. His defense is what got them to the Super Bowl.
His lack of an O-Line really showed up in the playoffs against the best defenses. He got sacked 9 times versus the Titans, the Rams sacked him 7 times in the Super Bowl… football is won in the trenches. Burrow getting his team that far was a Herculean effort.

His lack of an O-Line really showed up in the playoffs against the best defenses. He got sacked 9 times versus the Titans, the Rams sacked him 7 times in the Super Bowl… football is won in the trenches. Burrow getting his team that far was a Herculean effort.
Was just going to say looking at Burrow's numbers doesn't say anything about how much his OL wasn't protecting him in that playoff run.

Was just going to say looking at Burrow's numbers doesn't say anything about how much his OL wasn't protecting him in that playoff run.
A lack of an O-Line isn’t as apparent in the regular season against the stiffs, it is painfully obvious against playoff caliber defenses.

Last edited:
Okay. Watched it again. They watched the tape of him because they thought he would be there at 104, and made that very clear.

Exactly, the Rams thought he was going to be an under the radar pick for them at 104. Also it was reported that Tampa wanted him at 26.

they considered him at their draft slot,

If the Bucs considered him at 26, and the Pats selected him at 29, it appears as though the Rams scouting him at 105 are the outliers. Common on this board that people use outliers to make an argument. Bringing Tavon Wilson and Jordan Richards into the discussion is unrelated. Again a common error on this board trying to relate separate, unrelated events as an objective comparison.

Let's hope Strange is an All Pro. Today, after losing Jensen for the season, the Bucs might wish they took Strange instead of Hall.

I respect DVOA as a decent metric but with a 35 yo Anthony Pleasant and Steve Martin doing nothing and guys like Bobby Hamilton, Sey and Rick Lyle playing out of position at NT is not what you want.
I notice that the Pats were #32 in DVOA vs the rush in 2020. So they improved enormously in per play effectiveness vs the rush in 2021 (to #10). Sounds like Belichick credits Godchaux for much of that improvement

If the Bucs considered him at 26, and the Pats selected him at 29, it appears as though the Rams scouting him at 105 are the outliers. Common on this board that people use outliers to make an argument. Bringing Tavon Wilson and Jordan Richards into the discussion is unrelated. Again a common error on this board trying to relate separate, unrelated events as an objective comparison.

Let's hope Strange is an All Pro. Today, after losing Jensen for the season, the Bucs might wish they took Strange instead of Hall.
Or the Bucs never considered him at 26 and probably considered him later. Occam’s Razor. I also brought Vollmer and Mankins into the convo.

Let’s have a fun exercise. In between our first and second round picks, zero IOL were selected. With that in mind, which teams who did not select an interior OL between our 1st and 2nd would have picked Strange? And why?

Every player stays on your board until they get selected and removed. Saying the Rams hoped he’d be there in the 2nd or 3rd means nothing. I hope I win the powerball… will it happen? Unlikely…

The Rams were hoping the teams picking ahead of them were dumb… Strange was the next best interior OL on my board. It shocked me when they took a guard, I projected them taking an OT… a lineman either way was good for me.

If Strange is great these comments about “draft value” will age like milk… and the BB haters will move onto the next reach.

Part of the reason he was getting sacked is because he was holding the ball forever. Burrow did not play well in the playoffs. It was his defense that carried the team.

Example, this is the playoff game. He had 4 seconds and his receivers have all literally finished their routes and are waiting for him to make a darn decision. He waits so long he gets sacked. He has no like no concept of 3 step, throw quick. Of course there were no times he had no chance, but it was 50/50 between that and him just pulling a Drew Bledsoe statue impression.

7B65EA23-10DE-43E1-AF97-20402F825B76.jpeg

Last edited:
Part of the reason he was getting sacked is because he was holding the ball forever. Burrow did not play well in the playoffs. It was his defense that carried the team.

Example, this is the playoff game. He had 4 seconds and his receivers have all literally finished their routes and are waiting for him to make a darn decision. He waits so long he gets sacked. He has no like no concept of 3 step, throw quick. Of course there were no times he had no chance, but it was 50/50 between that and him just pulling a Drew Bledsoe statue impression.

View attachment 44207

You showed a picture of 5 covered receivers and blamed the QB. Doesn’t your team have a board you can post on.

Last edited:
You showed a picture of 5 covered receivers and blamed the QB. Dirsntvyoor team have a board you can post on.

Then you scramble or throw the ball away. What you don’t do is hold the ball for 4 seconds, take a sack, and then blame the o-line.

I actually posted 2 videos too.

Let’s have a fun exercise. In between our first and second round picks, zero IOL were selected. With that in mind, which teams who did not select an interior OL between our 1st and 2nd would have picked Strange? And why?

Shortly after the draft and in response to a similar topic, I noted that the Vikings did not take an OLman (or any other offensive player) at 42 but did take one just 17 picks later at 59... A case can be made I suppose that if Strange69 had been available at 42 he would've been their pick ahead of Andrew Booth, but I'm not buying it... Same as Tampa at 33 & 57 (defense before OLman)...

Then you scramble or throw the ball away. What you don’t do is hold the ball for 4 seconds, take a sack, and then blame the o-line.

I actually posted 2 videos too.
Silly criticism

You’re in the minority. Burrow has been criticised for holding the ball too long ever since he entered the NFL.

And he just took his team to a SB and led the league in YPA and completion percentage.
The minority is bonehead like you who don’t understand football making dumb claims like that.
What are you doing here anyway? Bills fans don’t like you?

And he just took his team to a SB and led the league in YPA and completion percentage.
The minority is bonehead like you who don’t understand football making dumb claims like that.
What are you doing here anyway? Bills fans don’t like you?

He didn’t take anyone to the SB. He got taken to the Super Bowl by his defense. They barely even made the playoffs at 10-7. Bills would have wrecked Cinci if not for a coin toss.

He didn’t take anyone to the SB. He got taken to the Super Bowl by his defense. They barely even made the playoffs at 10-7. Bills would have wrecked Cinci if not for a coin toss.
You are joking right?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back