PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King: Seymour upset and friend says may not report to Oakland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruschi and Brady are the only patriot players who would not be in this situation. One used to think that there were more at any given time, but that era ended the day Milloy was cut in the week before the season started. Since then (after a week of histrionics), it has all been business for the team and the players.

With regard to Vrabel, I suspect that Vrabel was done a favor. He would not have gotten his bonus if he wasn't traded. The alternative was to cut him later in the off-season. Belichick has clearly decided to move on.

The open question is when Belichick decided to move on with Seymour.

Rodney Harrison, who took an actual paycut after returning from an injury, says Hi. Ditto Junior Seau who made it clear this is the only place he unretires for. And Bingo who threatened but never left. Koppen, Warren, Light all signed team friendly deals. Then there is that Brady guy who could have held them up like no other... and his sidekick, Moss.

Honestly mg your Tom Jackson wannabe phase is wearing thin...

Lombardi says it was when the Raiders opted to offer their 2011 1st so they could hang on to their 2010 2nd... or in other words when he got an offer he couldn't refuse. I think the door was opened when he burnt them on the extension and then when he finally came back 100% they broke down the film and realized he wasn't the 2001-2004 version of Seymour any longer on anything approaching a consistent basis.

Shut up, you're not adding anything intelligent to this thread. You're just posting like an idiot.
Oh, but he added quite a bit and it was the cleverest post in the thread. You (and the other pair) are totally missing the point. Some maroon told him he wasn't allowed to criticize Seymour unless he could play as well as Seymour. The answer is a classic.

The franchise tag is nowhere near 17M. Its more likely in the 10M range, which, considering what Haynseworth got, isn't nearly enough for a player of Seymour's caliber.

Well...that depends on whether Sey would have been classified as a DE or a DT. Seymour always referred to himself as a DE when contract talks came.

I wrote the same thing yesterday.....Say what you want about Hobbs talent levle but he only missed 1 game in 4 years and played through pain...

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ts-trading-richard-seymour-raiders-page4.html post#133

I wasn't trashing Hobbs... I was just speculating (and it's pure speculation), that Sey may have been the one faking injuries (assuming Hobbs is right). I can't think of too many Pats who got big contracts who's injuries weren't obvious ones. You can't fake a broken bone :)

Well...that depends on whether Sey would have been classified as a DE or a DT. Seymour always referred to himself as a DE when contract talks came.

An excellent point, and another reason for him to be fuming about a move to run-stopping DT in Oakland.

I'm not sure on if the tag works on salary alone, or on cap hit, but if its the latter, he needs atleast a 10% raise on his 9M hit this year.

If Seymour really doesn't want this trade to happen, he won't report and the trade is off. I had a feeling heads may roll after this trade. It could get ugly.

An excellent point, and another reason for him to be fuming about a move to run-stopping DT in Oakland.
But hey..it's a business...EXCEPT of course when the chips don't fall your way...one can't have it both ways..but it SEEMS like that is more the case now..and that smells. Let's really see how classy he leaves..this threat of not reporting is NOT showing that at all...

Absolutely true, he could have a monster season for them. Nonetheless, I have to think Seymour would be better off entering FA as a key part of the Patriots' championship legacy rather than as a castoff BB decided was no longer worth the big bucks.

Trading Seymour only frees up $3M or so. This isn't a "not worth the money". Its a "we don't think we can sign him next year, so we're getting what we can"

I'm not sure on if the tag works on salary alone, or on cap hit, but if its the latter, he needs atleast a 10% raise on his 9M hit this year.

I do believe the tag takes the top 5 salaries at the position and averages them, regardless of cap hit...which would make Sey's position a huge issue, as the top 5 salaries for DT are on average about 5 million less than the same for DE.

Trading Seymour only frees up $3M or so. This isn't a "not worth the money". Its a "we don't think we can sign him next year, so we're getting what we can"

right, I meant it as "not worth re-signing to big bucks."

Good riddance, crybaby. Let the Raiders deal with his attitude. Only has been a day and we can already see that the Patriots made the right move in dumping him instead of paying that lazy sack of crap.

UHHHH...WTF?

This guys a huge reason why the Patriots have 3 SB rings. He lives in Foxboro, has kids that go to school there, and just got traded after a good season to the worst team in the NFL.

You wouldn't be pissed??

Show some respect.

If Seymour really doesn't want this trade to happen, he won't report and the trade is off. I had a feeling heads may roll after this trade. It could get ugly.

If he doesn't report, then he doesn't become an UFDA. Sey will, at the very least, will report for the final six games..... but even at that point, will the Raiders even let him? Sey likes money WAY too much to do that.

I show him the same respect he was going to show the Pats when he left after the season. Bottom line its always been about the money to him. Why is he surprised when the Pats prove it to him.

If he doesn't report, then he doesn't become an UFDA. Sey will, at the very least, will report for the final six games..... but even at that point, will the Raiders even let him? Sey likes money WAY too much to do that.

Lots of people think he can just hold out for 10 weeks. Franchise tagged players who refuse to sign the tag can but not players under contract. Florio has more on what the consequences could entail:

Seymour could eventually get "five-day letter" | ProFootballTalk.com

He could effectively be put on ice by either team and not reach FA in 2010... So it's not like teams don't maintain leverage. As was the case with Jake Plummer, you either report of retire. You don't get to simply hold out and absorb the loss of paychecks.

Lots of people think he can just hold out for 10 weeks. Franchise tagged players who refuse to sign the tag can but not players under contract. Florio has more on what the consequences could entail:

He could effectively be put on ice by either team and not reach FA in 2010... So it's not like teams don't maintain leverage. As was the case with Jake Plummer, you either report of retire. You don't get to simply hold out and absorb the loss of paychecks.

Nice, thanks for the info!

Yeah, that explained it well, Seymour has the choice of reporting and going through the process (UFA, tag, etc) or sitting out a year unpaid and being in the same salary slot in 12 months. The "worst case" of playing this year and being tagged is far better than the alternative.

Thanks, Mo. What surprises me is the idea that most trades are contingent on the player reporting. Isn't that functionally equivalent to giving every player veto power over trades?

For all about the money Seymour, the only team he is going to be playing for this year is the Raiders.

And the Patriots had a good relationship with Parker, as he's one of the guys that regularly gets his players to camp.

The Crabtree story is peculiar because there really is a huge dropoff between what the 49ers are offering and what the pick before him got.

I know Crabtree made some braindead comments in the media, and shot himself in the foot. That being said, something is off there.

Yup, the Crabtree situation is all on Crabtree- he decided that he wants more money than the #7 pick.

Parker also represents Ty Jackson, who was the #3 overall pick for the Chiefs, and Pioli was able to negotiate a deal with him pretty quickly and get him in for the start of camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes