PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per Howe - Pats are not shopping Gilmore

imo - all signing bonuses should be paid out at the start of each year, not at the start of the contract (but fully guaranteed and payable if the player is cut or traded). If that were done with Gilmore, he'd be making $15m this year. The problem is they prepaid half of that years ago.

But he was prepaid another $7.6m for this year already.
I'm just going by what people are speculating he won't play for the $7M base salary.

Making all of these aggressive moves, such that they suddenly have a legit chance to make some noise this year, only to trade a top 3 cornerback in a passing league, is illogical.

Give Gilly lock some extra cash, if that’s what is needed to keep him happy this year, draft Parsons or Collins in round 1 and Tyler Shelvin in round 2. Teams will be lucky to get past the 50 yard line.

1616182228537.gif

You're all going to soon see what a great team without a QB looks like. It looks like 2019 Tampa Bay. And they were 7-9
The 2001 Patriots say hello.

could the team give him a raise and an extension while lowering his cap hit this year? Something like adding another year and converting some of this year into signing bonus?

I could see them telling him we‘ll do this, but wait until we see how much cap savings we need to match a tender for JC, because we want to keep you both on the defense we’re building.

think that would fly?

You're all going to soon see what a great team without a QB looks like. It looks like 2019 Tampa Bay. And they were 7-9

Does someone want to tell him that the 2020 Pats already went 7-9 (and should have gone 8-8) with the same QB, without the “great team” around him?

So all of these additions are worth zero additional wins?
1616206616389.gif

I don’t understand. This team didn’t have a QB last year, had a roster void of significant talent, with the hardest schedule in the league and finished 7-9. You honestly think all of the additions made this year are going to lead to no gain in wins? Not to mention that ****ty QB play we all had fun watching last year will be healthier, and more experienced in the system. Still.....no more wins?

I don’t understand. This team didn’t have a QB last year, had a roster void of significant talent, with the hardest schedule in the league and finished 7-9. You honestly think all of the additions made this year are going to lead to no gain in wins? Not to mention that ****ty QB play we all had fun watching last year will be healthier, and more experienced in the system. Still.....no more wins?
1616209687486.gif

He's a Brady fan not a New England patriots fan. I personally watched every Tampa game last year and rooted for Brady in the playoffs/superbowl, before anyone tries and say I'm a "bill honk"

But I don't get fans who now follow Tampa, and just decide to trash on everything Patriots even when they make good moves and hoping they fail. They are no different than Lebron fans.

Bill would be foolish to give him an extension. He is the perfect example of moving on a year early from an aging player. Draft his replacement.

Bill would be foolish to give him an extension. He is the perfect example of moving on a year early from an aging player. Draft his replacement.
1. His contract included a big signing bonus. He was paid that as part of his contract, in advance. Saying he is only playing this year for $7 mill isn't really accurate, although one can argue it. He has no leverage to hold out this year, his contract doesn't vanish if he takes the year off, it goes until next year. He was injured last year, and will be coming back from that injury. Any long term deal he signed will be based upon the risk of how he will return from the injury and his age. Any trade the Patriots make will also be based upon how the other team views him. If the Patriots think he will come back to old form and play at that level for a few more years, they should take advantage of his down year and offer him an extension to lock him up while his market is down. If the two sides can't agree to that, they should either let him play this season as a prove it year, giving him the option of proving to other teams he is great going into free agency, or hopefully find a trading partner who values him more than the Patriots do, and are willing to take the risk the Patriots aren't.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back