PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Penalty myth debunking for AFCCG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K. Dog

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
A friend of mine is claiming that the penalty differential in the AFC championship game - the Jaguars accrued far more penalties - shows the referees were biased. I have heard this fallacy repeated in the media as well.

Has someone gone over the Jaguars penalties to show nearly all of them were entirely clear cut? I’m looking for a self-contained analysis refuting this to show my friend.

The only potentially controversial ones I think were the first PI on the Cooks play and the early whistle on Jack in the Dion Lewis fumble recovery.

In the case of the fumble recovery, Jack was down while touching Lewis, so that shouldn’t be controversial. In the case of the first PI call, a good video should clear it up, and even if it doesn’t, I personally think it’s appropriate for referees to call more strictly against a team who just injured an opponent's star player by an intentional personal foul. Otherwise players will try and injure each others' stars no matter the penalty.

So a list of clear explanations and videos would be helpful.

On another note, I’m concerned by the persistence of this idea that the refs are biased for the Patriots, which we saw several times at the end of the regular season even in the face of clear video evidence. Constant repetition of unsound theories does make them credible to many; and Goodell and the NFL are highly sensitive to public perception. So I would like to see this latest anti-Pats meme clearly, simply, and decisively refuted.

I’d like to see that too. It wont matter though. They’ll turn to the stand by excuse of cheaters

There was at least one NFL official on the grassy knoll, too.

Seriously, if you're going to pretend to be a Pats fan, you need some better skills instead of the usual, "...a friend of mine..."

It’s simple. Look up the official NFL penalty stats for 2017. One team was penalized far more than the other. So, yeah.....take into account how juiced up and overboard the Jags were playing, and it’s no surprise they got penalized more. And, if we are being honest, they could’ve been called for a hell of a lot more than that.

It’s simple. Look up the official NFL penalty stats for 2017. One team was penalized far more than the other. So, yeah.....take into account how juiced up and overboard the Jags were playing, and it’s no surprise they got penalized more. And, if we are being honest, they could’ve been called for a hell of a lot more than that.

They were downright dirty and nasty ... over hyped themselves and it took them out of their game - that's how it goes ... unfocused.
Even the Amendola TD ... the defender tried to bury Danny's head into the turf on the tackle.

It's emotion based assessment and riding the wave of hate for everything Patriots.

To do this, someone would have to go through the entire game, see what penalties could have been called (that weren't) and see if the game was being called fairly for both sides.

Anything other than that would be speculative.

Here ya go....

SB 50 penalties. Denver 6-51, Carolina 12-102. Manning* and the Broncos* have a tainted SB title.

Let's look at the last 2 Steelers* SB wins*

Pit* 3-20, Seattle 7-70
Pit* 7-56, Arizona 11-106

Wow, Pittsburgh* hasn't won a legitimate title since the 70's! Stealers, indeed.

That should take care of Broncos* and Steelers* fans. The same can be done for any team if you want. But really, I stopped whining about cheating when I was 6 years old and my brother went up the slide when playing Chutes and Ladders.

I've got nothing to throw in Jets fans' faces though. They would have to win something meaningful first.

Found this in a Colts forum of all places

2 hours ago, Yehoodi said:

I do agree that the NFL has at times been more of a business and show than a sport, and at times would want certain match ups or results for purposes of ratings and money, as opposed to letting/hoping things do not turn out the other way.

However, in the instant game I think it is a stretch to try to make a point that the game is an example of this . . .

Regarding the PI, one can not simply cut off a WR and ride him out of bounds, that is PI. The only exception is if the ball is thrown out of bounds with both players looking back on the ball the defender rides the guy out of bounds in order to get to the ball. This is simply not the case. Plus this play came right after the hit on Gronk, so maybe the refs are not in the mood for any more hanky panky

As for the gronk hit, the guy hit gronk in head with such force that he knocked him out of the game. He could of lower his shoulder drove it into Gronk's chest/side area, like that Thomas hit last year or like they actually did earlier in the game on Gronk.

As for the other four penalties we had the following:

False Start - the left tackle moved before the snap, not a difficult call.

Illegal Procedure - after what looked like a dicey catch on the side lines, the jags ran to the LOS to try to get a play off really fast (so no challenge) and they were not set - next time do not hurry as much

Other PI - the DB went past Cooks and hooked his neck to pull down Cooks, PI

Delay of Game - Coming out of a time out (90 seconds) and then standing in the huddle, the Jags could not get lined up and hike the ball within the 25 second play clock. there was certainly a second at zero before it was hiked. The refs will give you some lee way, but are less likely coming out of a time out when you are set in the huddle and a full 25 seconds on the play clock.

His conclusion was basically yeah, the Jags got flagged a lot -- and they deserved every single one of them because they actually broke the actual rules.

was watching NFL Network last night and they pretty much broke down every single call. The breakdown showed each and every call was the correct one.

They even lambasted the Jags for the delay of game after a time-out. (as in how the hell does that happen?)

If you want fewer penalties called, coach your players to commit fewer penalties.

It's like the basketball fans who think that the refs were biased because more fouls were called on their team than on the other team. Well... the other team was aggressive and attacking the basket, while your team was jacking up jumpers.

The Patriots were attacking on offense and defense, yet also disciplined on both sides of the ball. Like... well... like you'd EXPECT them to be, like they were all year. The Jags were more conservative on O and had a very aggressive secondary. Like... well... like you'd EXPECT them to be, like they were all year.

Jags fans even complained about the Cooks deflection on 4th and 14. Replays show he made no contact whatsoever and made one of the most amazing pass defense plays I've ever seen. One might think an INT is better, but it isn't, on 4th down.

shame on us for giving this crap credence by talking about it.
If people really think that refs make calls to help or hurt a team, then every result ever us pointless and we might as well watch “wrassling”.
There are people who hate that the patriots win, so every time they win they have to create a controversy.

was watching NFL Network last night and they pretty much broke down every single call

This sounds like exactly what I want. How to get it and show it to others though...

shame on us for giving this crap credence by talking about it.
If people really think that refs make calls to help or hurt a team, then every result ever us pointless and we might as well watch “wrassling”.
There are people who hate that the patriots win, so every time they win they have to create a controversy.

Yes they do. There’s even a guy on this board suggesting the refs were” given some incentive to call penalties” insinuating they were paid or told to do that. It’s madness

Yes they do. There’s even a guy on this board suggesting the refs were” given some incentive to call penalties” insinuating they were paid or told to do that. It’s madness
Yes they do what?

Meatheads who make that claim are meatheads and clearly wrong. Don’t waste your time justifying such an ignorant comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh... I bet it happens. I wouldn't put it past the league at all to coax the officiating to be tighter or looser than usual on one team. See Steelers, 2005. That was a farce of a Super Bowl but a nice retirement present for the Bus courtesy of the league.

However... I highly doubt the league who conducted and fabricated a phony cheating scandal against this team and fought this team tooth and nail in court to ensure Tom Brady can be suspended for no other reason other than "we can"...and whose commissioner publicly labelled Brady a cheater...would do the same for us.

That's why it's comical to hear people think the league loves the Patriots so much that they'd rig a game.

Yes they do what?

Meatheads who make that claim are meatheads and clearly wrong. Don’t waste your time justifying such an ignorant comment.

Hi Andy, I was saying yes they do to the post above mine which ended saying people hate a patriots win so much they create controvercies

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST