PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Penalty myth debunking for AFCCG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh... I bet it happens. I wouldn't put it past the league at all to coax the officiating to be tighter or looser than usual on one team. See Steelers, 2005. That was a farce of a Super Bowl but a nice retirement present for the Bus courtesy of the league.

However... I highly doubt the league who conducted and fabricated a phony cheating scandal against this team and fought this team tooth and nail in court to ensure Tom Brady can be suspended for no other reason other than "we can"...and whose commissioner publicly labelled Brady a cheater...would do the same for us.

That's why it's comical to hear people think the league loves the Patriots so much that they'd rig a game.

In some cases it may be warranted but I don’t like the notion that refs are paid. I don’t buy that at all because it would leak to the media.

Now, the idea that perhaps the league tells refs to watch a team because o perceived dirty play to keep games from devolving into a blood bath. I could see how that might be but still feel it’s dubious at best

I would bet that every play has a possible penalty, so if you want to go thru and say on this play someone held and not point it out for all the other plays is senseless.

I will say though, I thought that the JAGs got off lightly for some of the excessive "exuberance" they were using after the whistle trying to prove they were tough.

So far, in my short perusal of the internet, the only .gif supporting the meme that "the Pats should have been penalized more...." is the "hold" on the last Lewis run, and that .gif is extremely weak proof of a possible infraction.

I re-watched the game last night but didn’t turn it on until the Cooks PI call. That said I wanted to take a close look at it and it was clearly PI. People are trying to make their point based off of one view and will not show you the other side. Well if you look at it from the other side you can clearly see it was a correct call. Blatant PI.

6E5BCEE4-1323-491B-8266-F1F0B07705C9.jpeg

Last edited:
Even the Amendola TD ... the defender tried to bury Danny's head into the turf on the tackle.

Unnecessary Roughness might have been called there. BB apparently thought it should have been. I think it was Romo who mentioned that he saw BB in a "heated discussion with" Steratore about "something" right after the play.

Of course the other issue is whether the refs swallowed their whistles WRT the Pats. My eye test told me that this was a fairly called game where most calls were correct except maybe the missed Allen hold. The refs allowed handfighting and grabbing to both defenses. OP probably needs to review the all-22.

Then, on another pass play to Cooks in the 3rd quarter, there was another PI which wasn’t called. Notice Bouye and Ramsey each have Cooks arms, Bouye is more egregious holding Cooks arm down the whole time.

DD6D5FD4-BDCC-4A5C-BD56-5033B45307FE.jpeg 2E88F3D5-3B8C-4C46-8B9A-BE0564F516C9.jpeg

Last edited:
Again in the 3rd with around 5 minutes left in the quarter, the Pats pin Jax down on their own 9. Stuffed Fournette on his first run for no gain but couldn’t stop him on 2nd down. Fournette ran for 7 getting the Jags out to the 16. They kicked a field goal on this drive to put them up 20-10.

Well on this play there was a blatant hold by the Jags #77. I believe he was holding Flowers who had a clear line to Fournette. No call. Should have been 2nd and long, backed up on their own goal line instead of 3rd and short from the 16.

4A338CB9-82A0-4816-9D7A-4AE7EC61FE65.jpeg

Last edited:

It'd help more if the guy got his facts straight - the Church's personal foul and Bouye's DPI both happened at the end of the first half, not in the second half. That sequence - 5 Jags penalties in their last possession (other than the kneel-downs) and the Pats' last 1st-half possession revealed the Jags for who they were: too small on too big a stage.

Illegal shift
Delay of Game (duh)
Holding (declined on a 6-yard sack)
Unnecessary Roughness
DPI

All legit, all obvious, all indicative of a team beginning to doubt - so badly, that they took a knee with 3-timeouts and a minute to go.

Then, on another pass play to Cooks in the 3rd quarter, there was another PI which wasn’t called. Notice Bouye and Ramsey each have Cooks arms, Bouye is more egregious holding Cooks arm down the whole time.

View attachment 19415 View attachment 19416

Glad they didn't call it. He was blanketed by two defenders and it would have been a very Flaccoesque call - which I'm glad we didn't need and didn't get.

Glad they didn't call it. He was blanketed by two defenders and it would have been a very Flaccoesque call - which I'm glad we didn't need and didn't get.
Really? Flaccoesque?

So basically the refs shouldn't call PI on a deep pass if the receiver is blanketed even if it is a valid PI call because it's Flaccoesque?

My whole point in posting these is not to complain about the refs. I am already tired of hearing the country complain about the refs claiming the game was rigged and pointing to the penalty discrepancy as proof. My point is to show the Jags did indeed get away with calls, in big spots of the game too.

Of course the other issue is whether the refs swallowed their whistles WRT the Pats. My eye test told me that this was a fairly called game where most calls were correct except maybe the missed Allen hold. The refs allowed handfighting and grabbing to both defenses. OP probably needs to review the all-22.

But, they also swallowed their whistles for the Jags mostly. Other than the 2 PIs and roughing on Gronk, the Jags were called for pre-snap penalties, delay of game, false start, illegal motion. That has nothing to do with the refs letting them play.

This would be my main argument to anyone bringing it up.

But, they also swallowed their whistles for the Jags mostly. Other than the 2 PIs and roughing on Gronk, the Jags were called for pre-snap penalties, delay of game, false start, illegal motion. That has nothing to do with the refs letting them play.

This would be my main argument to anyone bringing it up.
Oh, I agree with you, was just pretending for a sec that OP wasn’t trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back