PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Penalties being considered for the Pats - UPDATED 1/1/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly.

This to me shows how weak the NY office is. They should of told the other owners to pipe down their faux outrage on this one. This is just petty by the owners.

Right, but if there was a someone over Pepsi and Coke, they wouldn't be pitting one company over the other for financial gain.

Exactly.

This to me shows how weak the NY office is.

We've known that for a while. Weak in common sense as well.

They should of told the other owners to pipe down their faux outrage on this one. This is just petty by the owners.

The NFL is riddled with hyper-competitive people who have it in their DNA to look for the smallest of advantages. Gaining advantages means increasing job security. This pursuit of advantages clouds common sense and good judgement. Even BB fell victim to it. Everything is a battle. Everything is a fight. Everything is a war. If you let up one iota that could mean unemployment and losing.

Right, but they are in the same industry and use the same ingredients, so they wouldn't want to lose margin with how they produce their products. So, it's like competing, but you also don't want to come off unprofessional or lie either.
Being unprofessional and lying the NFL has in spades.

Does this get mentioned during TNF? Has it run its course in the National Media Circus? Any mention on the Today Show this morning?

We've known that for a while. Weak in common sense as well.

The NFL is riddled with hyper-competitive people who have it in their DNA to look for the smallest of advantages. Gaining advantages means increasing job security. This pursuit of advantages clouds common sense and good judgement. Even BB fell victim to it. Everything is a battle. Everything is a fight. Everything is a war. If you let up one iota that could mean unemployment and losing.

I agree in general but not in this case. I don't think trying to taint the league's biggest franchise with petty nonsense is good business in the long run. In the short term they are enjoying the news cycle unless you are Robert Kraft.

Does this get mentioned during TNF? Has it run its course in the National Media Circus? Any mention on the Today Show this morning?
Go to page 1 of Profootball talk. Thursday morning after the Sunday event, 3 days after the news broke. Currently zero front page stories on this - front page stories are on other Goodell comments from the same press conference.

Compare that to Thursday during deflategate and Thursday during 2007.

So far the media as a whole is handling it better, with certain individual exceptions. Is it Patriot scandal fatigue? Is it because the NFL is actively trying to calm things down for once? Is it because media members and league and team executives think this is more stupidity than a real scandal? Not sure.

I agree in general but not in this case. I don't think trying to taint the league's biggest franchise with petty nonsense is good business in the long run. In the short term they are enjoying the news cycle unless you are Robert Kraft.
1. The Cinci Bungles who taped our production team are not thinking long term. They are thinking about the here and now and the next game.

2. There is zero evidence to support cheating scandals have had an adverse impact on NFL revenues. Quite frankly, I think at some level the NFL wants the buzz.

I will be interested to see the nation wide take if it comes out that all that happen was a wide angle shot of the field, which is no different than the all 22s.

Coke and Pepsi aren't in business together. NFL teams are.

Well, then why would you want to harm the brand overall though? Again, their ratings are dropping every year here.

The ratings BEFORE Goodell came into the league were actually better than they are now. Also, the league was expecting to MAKE MORE MONEY over this CBA than they have, as crazy as that sounds.

The level of greed is astonishing and I think that's where the average fan doesn't quite understand why these things happen. It's one rich guy super jealous of other really, really, rich guys.

So, the gazillions they all make, simply isn't enough. The tv money is the big difference maker since it's spread out evenly across the 32 teams.

1. The Cinci Bungles who taped our production team are not thinking long term. They are thinking about the here and now and the next game.

2. There is zero evidence to support cheating scandals have had an adverse impact on NFL revenues. Quite frankly, I think at some level the NFL wants the buzz.

I've heard that and I am not sure I agree. I think "cheating" negatively affected MLB which is why the NFL shot right past them in the early/mid 2000s.

What I find fascinating is how non of this language ever followed the landscape of sports until roids in baseball was pretty obvious in the 1990s.

I've heard that and I am not sure I agree. I think "cheating" negatively affected MLB which is why the NFL shot right past them in the early/mid 2000s.

What I find fascinating is how non of this language ever followed the landscape of sports until roids in baseball was pretty obvious in the 1990s.
I think there’s a bit of a difference. The public has a general aversion to PEDs. I think everyone likes the idea of the best athletes succeeding, but hates the idea of thinking that performance isn’t natural. The NFL suffered during its earlier steroid scandal too.

On the other hand, “gamesmanship” has been sort of viewed as a virtue in some circles - being smart enough to come up with ideas and avoid being caught. I can see how that would attract more fans. Look at how the public viewed MLB’s antics in this context prior to this millennium. Everyone loved Gaylord Perry being the bad guy, alternating between greasing and not greasing just to mess with people. The Jay Howell pine tar incident in the 1988 playoffs was amusing to everyone and no one moralized over his relatively light (by today’s standards) punishment. The Albert Belle corked bat story from 1995 is almost legendary. People eat this stuff up.

I will be interested to see the nation wide take if it comes out that all that happen was a wide angle shot of the field, which is no different than the all 22s.
Breer on Beetle and Zo said the cameraman set up the camera on a tripod and walked away.

Breer on Beetle and Zo said the cameraman set up the camera on a tripod and walked away.
If Breer is right (who knows) and if Cincy’s film of the camera shows this (who knows), this is huge in supporting the Patriots contention. Compare the active, deliberate shots in Spygate versus the passive shots here. What type of shot would football people want if they instructed this to happen? Clearly the former. Might be part of why the rumors are being reported that the NFL is currently inclined to believe the Patriots.

How zoomed in was it?

Shouldn’t matter. As long as it didn’t go from sideline to scoreboard and back and forth like the Spygate tape then the Patriots should in the clear from any cheating accusation.

It’s very unlikely that a cameraman that supposedly had no connection to the football ops would operate the camera that way unless they were instructed to do so from the football ops so I’m glad it looks like the way it does now. The alternative is indefensible.

Well, then why would you want to harm the brand overall though? Again, their ratings are dropping every year here.

The ratings BEFORE Goodell came into the league were actually better than they are now. Also, the league was expecting to MAKE MORE MONEY over this CBA than they have, as crazy as that sounds.

The level of greed is astonishing and I think that's where the average fan doesn't quite understand why these things happen. It's one rich guy super jealous of other really, really, rich guys.

So, the gazillions they all make, simply isn't enough. The tv money is the big difference maker since it's spread out evenly across the 32 teams.
Ratings are up this year. So is revenue YoY. Streaming had cut into standard viewership.

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA all handle cheating and scandals differently.

:rolleyes:edited to remove link to external trolls

Last edited:

“If you’re a Patriots fan, you’ll likely buy their explanation. If you’re not, you won’t. And because of the lack of proof (at the moment) either way, that’s probably not changing. ”

Probably true. Except I wouldn’t say “if you’re not”... it’s more like “if you were always suspicious of them”

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes