PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pees and Thomas - 2 Views Of The Passrush

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember a lot of talk of Belichick bringing in Thomas due to his versatility and intelligence, along with his ability to be a leader on the field.

Some things I came across:

Patriots Sign Adalius Thomas - Washington Post
"Personally and professionally, we are very impressed with Adalius Thomas," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "His playmaking, toughness, intelligence, versatility and character were all factors in our decision to pursue him."

Pats Defense Gets Boost - ESPN
Speculation by Len Pasquarelli on why he was brought in. He's pretty reliable; predicted the Burgess trade happening this summer.
Not since 1995, when Willie McGinest was in just his second season, have the New England Patriots had a defender post double-digit sacks. That long drought is likely to end in 2007.
The Patriots have reached an agreement in principle with former Baltimore Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas, among the premier players in the unrestricted free agent pool, and the seven-year veteran appears to be a perfect fit for coach Bill Belichick's trademark 3-4 defensive scheme.
With its once-feared linebacker corps in obvious decline, and forced to cut and paste on the unit over the past couple seasons, the New England defense sorely needed the kind of upgrade Thomas should bring. He is the kind of hybrid, edge-type player around whom Belichick has traditionally constructed his defensive schemes, a wonderfully versatile athlete who can morph into multiple roles.
In fact, during his seven years in Baltimore, Thomas played nearly every defensive position, including cornerback, at various times. At 270 pounds, Thomas is physical enough to take on the action at the point of attack, yet swift enough to pursue plays from the backside. His unique blend of physical skills made him the Pats' top target in free agency.

Thomas will be perfect fit with Patriots - MSNBC
The Patriots have done it again. Adalius Thomas is the perfect defender for a Bill Belichick defense. First, he is very smart and savvy and acts almost as another coach on the field. Second, Thomas is the ultimate versatile player, and Belichick loves guys he can use at multiple positions for multiple assignments. The Patriots were struggling with aging linebackers, and they got one in his prime.

I remember a lot of talk of Belichick bringing in Thomas due to his versatility and intelligence, along with his ability to be a leader on the field.

Some things I came across:

Patriots Sign Adalius Thomas - Washington Post

Pats Defense Gets Boost - ESPN
Speculation by Len Pasquarelli on why he was brought in. He's pretty reliable; predicted the Burgess trade happening this summer.

Thomas will be perfect fit with Patriots - MSNBC

Reading those really depressed me.

If by "courage" you mean "vodka", then I'm well ahead of ya.

Vodka? Oh no. Is this going to lead to another in Russian on business story?

Vodka? Oh no. Is this going to lead to another in Russian on business story?

Wow, what a memory! I have to be careful what I write here.

Wow, what a memory! I have to be careful what I write here.

HA. No, keep them coming. Who else but you can regale us with stories of intoxicated Russian businessman and talking to Big Vince on a plane on your way back to China. But why you keep your tales of Rhode Island a secret is a mystery.

Someone should start a thread comparing spinach to egg plant.

well he COULD tell ya'..but then he'd have ta kill ya'...RI state law

what other state in the union has a motto like..

COME ON VACATION...LEAVE ON PROBATION

Last edited:
well he COULD tell ya'..but then he'd have ta kill ya'...RI state law

what other state in the union has a motto like..

COME ON VACATION...LEAVE ON PROBATION

Or leave due to health reasons.

#1 i don't think BB system fits AD style of play

#2 there was way to many times this year that BB had him covering a TE on 3rd and long when he should have been rushing the QB did BB pay 7 million for a 270lbs. safety ?

#3 most of the time AD was rushing from the right side. and with out seymour to eat up the double team. AD was one on one with a 350lbs LT and he's not going to beat a LT with seymour there most of the time he would only be faceing a TE or a RB

AD will be 33 next year and he will never put up any number in the pats system they should cut him. and let him sign with the jets. ravens. or cowboys where he could have one last big year

HA. No, keep them coming. Who else but you can regale us with stories of intoxicated Russian businessman and talking to Big Vince on a plane on your way back to China. But why you keep your tales of Rhode Island a secret is a mystery.

Things were alot more boring back in RI. Though I might have mentioned that I saw Adalius at dinner the night he was sent home from practice. AND I had drank (drunk/drinked/dronked) alot of vodka that night. Other than that no really cool run ins with Patriots or Russian wannabe mafiosos.

Things were alot more boring back in RI. Though I might have mentioned that I saw Adalius at dinner the night he was sent home from practice. AND I had drank (drunk/drinked/dronked) alot of vodka that night. Other than that no really cool run ins with Patriots or Russian wannabe mafiosos.

If my memory is correct, you said AT wasnt the nicest of people

If my memory is correct, you said AT wasnt the nicest of people

Of course your memory is correct!

Yeah, he wasn't friendly at all. He didn't hit me or anything, but he could have been alot nicer during the 5 seconds of his life that I stole while he was walking out of the restaurant. He could learn alot from Vince and Koppen in that respect. And many other respects, I think.

I heard that AD wanted to play tight end on offense like Vrabel and so he was mad..... dumbest thread I've read today. I've lost valuable brain cells reading this crap. ;)

Thomas was brought in as a $5M+ a year premier passrusher. He was injured. He was asked to play inside and he did so, and did fine, given that he was playing out of position.

This pass year, the great idea was to use Thomas to set the edge, not to use Woods much, and to rely on Burgess and Banta-Cain for our passrush.

Thomas thought that he should be the #1 passrusher as he was being paid to do. He did well when called upon to pass the pressure, as another poster has documented.

What you are saying makes no sense.
"Setting the edge" is the job of whoever has contain on that side of the ball. So both OLBs have to 'set the edge' if a run comes their way.
Setting the edge simply says you must not get turned inside on an outside run.
It has nothing to do with pass rushing. Thomas was our primary pass rusher,but he did a terrible job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents