PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats vs. Jets 2011 Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jets back up OL looked awful Moore and Mangold didn't play and Turner got hurt.

I agree with most of what you wrote, but this. Mankins and Volmer are better Hunter and Slausen obviously. Moore is underated and definitely better than Connelly. DBrick is a little overated but I'd take him over 34 year old Light and a rookie. Mangold is better than Koppen. If you included the Jets pathetic depth I'd call it a push.

This would have been my only contention... I would split the OLine up because i truely believe the Jets OLine rund blocking scheme is superior to the patriots. But i think the pats pass blocking seems to be better than the jets so i'd really have to call this a draw... as far as depth goes however... i think the pats have more depth at tackle and our interior depth really depends on how cannon progresses.

This would have been my only contention... I would split the OLine up because i truely believe the Jets OLine rund blocking scheme is superior to the patriots. But i think the pats pass blocking seems to be better than the jets so i'd really have to call this a draw... as far as depth goes however... i think the pats have more depth at tackle and our interior depth really depends on how cannon progresses.
Jets 2010 - 4.4 YPC 14 Rushing TD's/28 sacks 367 attemps
Pats 2010 - 4.3 YPC 19 Rushing TD's/25 sacks 518 attepts

This years jets is still lead by Mark Sancheeze with an offensive coordinator that has no clue, who happen to have downgraded in the player department this year compared to last year. Why are we talking about them, they are just another team this year. Can't we discuss someone a little tougher then this years jets? Someone like maybe the Bengals!

Please..Please..everyone read this thread on JI..it is by far the funniest thing i have ever read..my god

Take 5 min please

The patriots "golden" offseason... yaaaa I'm shaking in my boots - Jets Insider.com Forums

Are NJ Jets fans this stupid?
I haven't checked out their thread yet - just jumped over here during a commercial - but I find it amusing that Jet fans were declaring themselves champions a few days into free agency based on a couple of signings ... and their believing they would land Asomugha ... but ever since then any free agency acquisitions are meaningless?

Okay, keep moving those goal posts ...

QB – Pats – I don't really have to explain this one, but Sanchez' best moments have come against the Pats. That needs to stop, Sanchez is an average QB at best, one thing he has going for him is he is ****y and doesn't know any better.

Of course I agree with the edge going to Tom Brady. The question is 'how much of an edge is it?'
Tom Brady a 93 out of 100
Mark Sanchez a 70 out of 100

RB – Draw – I would rather have BJGE and Woodhead over an aging LT and an underachieving Greene who can't seem to hold onto the ball, but it's a close call. Ridley and Vereen could very well push the pats over the edge here, we'll just have to wait and see.

No argument here. Although I think Shonn Greene is more talented than any runner on the Pats and has better tackle breaking ability, but he has to show it for a full season. And yes he has to hold on to the ball too. Call it a wash.

WR & TE's – Pats – Holmes is clearly the best WR from either side, but the jets seem less formidable with Mason and Plax vs. Cotch and Braylon. Mason is still a crafty vet, but I don't expect much other then a nice redzone target from Plax. Keller is a good TE, but for whatever reason his production faded after a fast start. We'll have to wait to see how fast Ocho picks up the offense. Branch is a solid, dependable WR. Welker is still the best slot WR in the league, and we are all hoping to see Price shine this year. What really puts the Pats over the edge here is Gronk and Hernadez, they are a nightmare matchup for any team.

Would reluctantly agree with this as well. Not because the Patriots are all world at receiver/TE but because there is so much uncertainty surrounding the Jets receiving core. However I don't think the gap is wide at all, simply because there is uncertainty with Ochocinco. Agree that Holmes is the best of both groups. Frankly, what gives the Patriots receivers the edge is Tom Brady & Bill Belichick.

Oline – Pats – The Jets have looked awful. I expect them to make a pickup or trade to improve their Oline, but it won't be enough to surpass what the Pats have done. Vollmer, Light, Solder, Mankins, & Koppen provide a solid group going foward, and were all routing for Cannon to be able to do some great things. Mangold is a stud at Center, Dbrick is a decent LT IMO, not a top 5 guy like most Jets fans think he is. Other then that, they might get Sanchez killed. (Not that it would be a huge loss)

Heeeeere we go. Judging everything about the Jets O-line by one (1) preseason game (albeit an embarrassing performance). Two of our starters were out: Mangold & Moore. But allow me to keep it simple for all of us: The Jets had a better offensive line than the Patriots last year and we both replaced a starting tackle. So how does that make the Patriots O-line better? Unless Nate Solder is Jake Long (which me might be but we need to see it first) it defies logic. Deeper? Yes. Better? No. 'The Jets have looked awful' is based on one PRESEASON game minus 2 starters. Sheesh.

Front 7 – Pats – I'm not going to get into a 4-3 vs 3-4 is he a lb or a de? So the front 7 for the Pats looks to be as good this year as it's been in sometime. The 3 most talented guys on either side are Mayo, Wilfork and Haynesworth. Carter and or Anderson should give the pats some pressure from the edge. Meanwhile the Jets line is going to depend on a few rookies. Ellis could be deported possibly, assuming he's not, he's still a rookie and doesn't concern me at all for this year. Wilkerson I'm not sold on either, but we'll see, but as the theme with this thread, I'm not counting on any rookies to produce much. Harris is a good LB even though his production along with Bart Scott's has been down. Scott's skills IMO have slipped quite a bit over the last few years, but he still adds a lot with his leadership and knowledge of the system.

We dont know what we'll see from Haynesworth this season. He was the most talented player on the Redskins defensive line and look what happened. Pats get the edge because Wilfork & Mayo at their respective positions are better than what the Jets have at their respective positions. However, Bart Scott & Calvin Pace are better than whoever else the Patriots have at linebacker you'd like to mention. There is uncertainty on both sides as to what we'll see on the front 7, but Wilfork & Mayo give you the moderate edge. We'll have to revisit this later.

DB – Jets - With Revis and Cromartie returning, you have to give the Jets the edge here. Whether you think Revis gets help from Safeties or not, he's one of the best. Cromartie is solid, but I don't think he will match up as well against Branch or Ocho on the outside as he did against Moss. I think Wilson, while somewhat dissapointing, could be a good cover guy in the slot. McCourty is as good as any rookie DB I've seen in a long time. Sometimes we all assume 2nd year players will only progress, hopefully thats the case with McCourty, but it may be hard to top that season. If Bodden is healthy, I think the Pats will be just fine in the secondary. I like the Pats Safeties better then the Jets, even though, Merrieweather is a bonehead. Chung played well last year and hopefully can build on that this year.

Jets with the big edge not only because of talent but because of scheme. I do like McCourty though, but I want to see him succeed for another season. Also agree with Pats safties over Jets safties. Jets miss Kerry Rhodes more than they thought they would.

Coaching – Pats – BB is the best coach I've ever seen, but Rex Ryan is a top 5 coach IMO. Going against most teams the Pats have a huge advantage when it comes to coaching, I think Rex neutralizes that somewhat with what he's been able to do.

Can't argue with this at all.

ST – Pats – I'll take the Ghost and Zoltan over whoever the Jets deciede is their punter and Folk. Jets take a big loss losing Brad Smith, I'm not sure Cromartie at his age is a viable option long term to return kicks, maybe Kerley is the guy? The Pats are probably going to be without Tate, but Vareen was very good in College, not sure they would want to risk McCourty out there. Hopefully Edelman makes the team (I think he will) and is our Punt Returner. Coverage teams all depends on who is going to make the 53 man roster. Both teams are well coached, but based on the Kickers, I'll take the Pats.

Pats with the edge simply because Gostkowski > Folk & we have a battle for starting punter.

IMO the pats are clearly the suprerior team heading into 2011. I think that was also the case last year, but the results would perhaps tell a different story. I know on any given Sunday any team can win, but this usually happens when a team sneaks up on you. There is no way the Jets can sneak up on the Pats, so if the Pats continue to lose, that tells me one thing...

Rex Ryan is outcoaching BB. I know overall you can't compare Fat Rex to BB until he wins multilple rings, but when it comes to head to head matchups, it seems like Rex has gotten the best of this match-up. I think Rex is responisble for making that Defense as good as it is. He instills pride and an expectation for every defensive player to live up too, he also doesn't an excellent job with his schemes.

Bottom Line is... I wanna see the Pats take Pride in their Defence again and not stand around and rely on Brady to pull it out time after time.

And if the Pats don't lay the smackdown on the Jets 2x this year in the regular season and hopefully once in the post-season, I'm gonna be pissed. I wouldn't mind hearing Jets fans talk all their smack if their team was actually better then the Pats. To me, they are a joke compared to the Pats, but the bigger Joke unfortunatley is that the Pats can't seem to beat them, when they should.

Now I respond to everything below the *'s.

Lets be serious. NO insulting other teams players/coaches. No just saying 'he sucks'.

The only reason the Pats would be CLEARLY better than the team who ousted them from the playoffs is Tom Brady over Sanchez. There are not many certain arguments to be made on team vs. team talks. There are too many unknowns about both teams.

These unknowns include the following but are not limited to:

1. Patriot fans don't even know what scheme they're running on D? A 4-3? a 3-4? A Hybrid? You just trust Belichick will get it done.

2. Jets have to integrate 2 new wide receivers, who many might consider a downgrade, and need people to show & prove on the D-line. Pats have to integrate 1 new wide receiver (without losing anyone) and had to upgrade on the D-line as well.

3. Both teams have new starting tackles on offense. Wayne Hunter & Nate Solder. Wayne Hunter has played and performed well while filling in for an injured Damien Woody last season. Nate Solder has two preseason starts. We must wait and see.

4. Will Mark Sanchez improve, will he regress, will he even out based on last year? This and only this is what give the Pats the CLEAR edge. You KNOW what Tom is going to give you. We have an IDEA of what Sanchez will give us.

Let's also keep this in mind. There are 14 other games to play this season besides our two meetings. I know this is a Pats vs. Jets thread. To me that means not only a head to head matchup (to be discussed another day) but how will both of our teams fare the rest of the season as well.

While I agree that by breaking down each position, the Pats look like the better team, I've never understood the point of it over the years. Unless Tom Brady is going to be rushing Mark Sanchez and Revis is going to be covering McCourty, does it matter that the Pats have the better QB or the Jets have the better secondary?

The better exercise would be to matchup the OL vs. front 7, WRs vs. Secondary, etc. Again, QB vs. QB, RB vs. RB and so on is not how a football game is won or lost.

QB – Pats – I don't really have to explain this one, but Sanchez' best moments have come against the Pats. That needs to stop, Sanchez is an average QB at best, one thing he has going for him is he is ****y and doesn't know any better.

RB – Draw – I would rather have BJGE and Woodhead over an aging LT and an underachieving Greene who can't seem to hold onto the ball, but it's a close call. Ridley and Vereen could very well push the pats over the edge here, we'll just have to wait and see.

WR & TE's – Pats – Holmes is clearly the best WR from either side, but the jets seem less formidable with Mason and Plax vs. Cotch and Braylon. Mason is still a crafty vet, but I don't expect much other then a nice redzone target from Plax. Keller is a good TE, but for whatever reason his production faded after a fast start. We'll have to wait to see how fast Ocho picks up the offense. Branch is a solid, dependable WR. Welker is still the best slot WR in the league, and we are all hoping to see Price shine this year. What really puts the Pats over the edge here is Gronk and Hernadez, they are a nightmare matchup for any team.

Oline – Pats – The Jets have looked awful. I expect them to make a pickup or trade to improve their Oline, but it won't be enough to surpass what the Pats have done. Vollmer, Light, Solder, Mankins, & Koppen provide a solid group going foward, and were all routing for Cannon to be able to do some great things. Mangold is a stud at Center, Dbrick is a decent LT IMO, not a top 5 guy like most Jets fans think he is. Other then that, they might get Sanchez killed. (Not that it would be a huge loss)

Front 7 – Pats – I'm not going to get into a 4-3 vs 3-4 is he a lb or a de? So the front 7 for the Pats looks to be as good this year as it's been in sometime. The 3 most talented guys on either side are Mayo, Wilfork and Haynesworth. Carter and or Anderson should give the pats some pressure from the edge. Meanwhile the Jets line is going to depend on a few rookies. Ellis could be deported possibly, assuming he's not, he's still a rookie and doesn't concern me at all for this year. Wilkerson I'm not sold on either, but we'll see, but as the theme with this thread, I'm not counting on any rookies to produce much. Harris is a good LB even though his production along with Bart Scott's has been down. Scott's skills IMO have slipped quite a bit over the last few years, but he still adds a lot with his leadership and knowledge of the system.

DB – Jets - With Revis and Cromartie returning, you have to give the Jets the edge here. Whether you think Revis gets help from Safeties or not, he's one of the best. Cromartie is solid, but I don't think he will match up as well against Branch or Ocho on the outside as he did against Moss. I think Wilson, while somewhat dissapointing, could be a good cover guy in the slot. McCourty is as good as any rookie DB I've seen in a long time. Sometimes we all assume 2nd year players will only progress, hopefully thats the case with McCourty, but it may be hard to top that season. If Bodden is healthy, I think the Pats will be just fine in the secondary. I like the Pats Safeties better then the Jets, even though, Merrieweather is a bonehead. Chung played well last year and hopefully can build on that this year.

Coaching – Pats – BB is the best coach I've ever seen, but Rex Ryan is a top 5 coach IMO. Going against most teams the Pats have a huge advantage when it comes to coaching, I think Rex neutralizes that somewhat with what he's been able to do.

ST – Pats – I'll take the Ghost and Zoltan over whoever the Jets deciede is their punter and Folk. Jets take a big loss losing Brad Smith, I'm not sure Cromartie at his age is a viable option long term to return kicks, maybe Kerley is the guy? The Pats are probably going to be without Tate, but Vareen was very good in College, not sure they would want to risk McCourty out there. Hopefully Edelman makes the team (I think he will) and is our Punt Returner. Coverage teams all depends on who is going to make the 53 man roster. Both teams are well coached, but based on the Kickers, I'll take the Pats.

IMO the pats are clearly the suprerior team heading into 2011. I think that was also the case last year, but the results would perhaps tell a different story. I know on any given Sunday any team can win, but this usually happens when a team sneaks up on you. There is no way the Jets can sneak up on the Pats, so if the Pats continue to lose, that tells me one thing...

Rex Ryan is outcoaching BB. I know overall you can't compare Fat Rex to BB until he wins multilple rings, but when it comes to head to head matchups, it seems like Rex has gotten the best of this match-up. I think Rex is responisble for making that Defense as good as it is. He instills pride and an expectation for every defensive player to live up too, he also doesn't an excellent job with his schemes.

Bottom Line is... I wanna see the Pats take Pride in their Defence again and not stand around and rely on Brady to pull it out time after time.

And if the Pats don't lay the smackdown on the Jets 2x this year in the regular season and hopefully once in the post-season, I'm gonna be pissed. I wouldn't mind hearing Jets fans talk all their smack if their team was actually better then the Pats. To me, they are a joke compared to the Pats, but the bigger Joke unfortunatley is that the Pats can't seem to beat them, when they should.

Also couple things you forget. Jets didn't start Mangold or Moore so that accounts for us looking awful

We're going into the season with 4 RB's not the two you mention. LT is strictly 3rd down. Mcknight, Powell, and Greene will share the rest of it

And if you watched any of our pre season game the Jets front 7 did great, it was the 3rd string DB's that failed them in the end of that game

Nice try and very appealing to the homers.

Are ******ed? Your agreeing with it cause your a homer you ****
You may want to consider something I learned way back when I was about four years old.

When you're in your own sandbox you can pretty much get away with anything.

When you're in your neighbor's sandbox you make friends with them and play nice, because if you don't you end up having to leave and you don't get invited back.

Last edited:
Yes, yes. We've all heard it before. The Jets have no chance, the Pats are clearly the better team. The are better than the Jets in every aspect of the game.

Pats are a great team. Jets are also a great team. When these two battle you don't know what's going to happen. Did I think the Jets would get creamed in Foxboro in December? No way. Did Pats fans think the Jets would walk into Foxboro the following month and knock their socks off? So how the hell do you know what's going to happen this year?

So how the hell do you know what's going to happen this year?

this is easy...with the Pats, I expect we'll see a level of success that they've made their hallmark the past ten years under BB

with the Jets...well..one thing we all know...42 years going on 43........the..... Jets S-U-C-K...suck suck suck

Last edited:
It's funny how after having a widely considered top offensive line for the last 3 years all of a sudden the Jets line is mediocre based off of a preseason game with backups.

no..it's not funny...tragic maybe...inducing vomit perhaps...pinch your nose disgusting smelly toe cheese stink maybe...but funny???

fail-14138.jpg

Also couple things you forget. Jets didn't start Mangold or Moore so that accounts for us looking awful

We're going into the season with 4 RB's not the two you mention. LT is strictly 3rd down. Mcknight, Powell, and Greene will share the rest of it

And if you watched any of our pre season game the Jets front 7 did great, it was the 3rd string DB's that failed them in the end of that game

Nice try and very appealing to the homers.
Giving the Pats the edge on the Oline wasn't about a preseason game, it was about player personell.

I didn't mention Mckinght becasue he's not a factor, rushing up on the Bills D at then end of the year (or anytime) isn't anything to write home about. Powell again is a rookie, so he's irrelevant until proven otherwise.

As far as the front 7 goes, again... it's not based on one preseason game.

And as far as appealing to the Homers? That wasn't my objective. There is no doubt that watching a every game a team plays, that you may believe in them more so then others, but I called it how I seen it. I give the Jets (Mostly Ryan) a lot of credit for beating the Pats over the last few years. I think Holmes, Mangold and Revis are GREAT Players. I think Rex is a top 5 Coach in the NFL. But I also think The Pats should and will lay a smackdown on them this year.

What does it all mean? Nothing for now, we'll have to wait and see before I can tell you. "I told ya so!"

Until then as your JETS friends would say...

GFY!

While I agree that by breaking down each position, the Pats look like the better team, I've never understood the point of it over the years. Unless Tom Brady is going to be rushing Mark Sanchez and Revis is going to be covering McCourty, does it matter that the Pats have the better QB or the Jets have the better secondary?

The better exercise would be to matchup the OL vs. front 7, WRs vs. Secondary, etc. Again, QB vs. QB, RB vs. RB and so on is not how a football game is won or lost.

This is exactly right....

With pats offense vs jets d...the pats have usually gotten the better of the jets here but last meeting Rex did a great job w the semi zone, semi man at same time d... This seemed to baffle Brady...and worked. Only guys that scare The jets are probably the te's in a head up matchup.

Jets o vs pats d.... Obviously sanchez still has issues with bb's schemes but I do remember the jets gashing the pats on the ground often when needed...hence take a chance on Albert.

Pats have always been so good cuz they never make mistakes...and usually out coach the other teams but when the jets don't make errors themselves and Rex draws up new d schemes they can play w and beat the pats.

This is exactly right....

With pats offense vs jets d...the pats have usually gotten the better of the jets here but last meeting Rex did a great job w the semi zone, semi man at same time d... This seemed to baffle Brady...and worked. Only guys that scare The jets are probably the te's in a head up matchup.

Jets o vs pats d.... Obviously sanchez still has issues with bb's schemes but I do remember the jets gashing the pats on the ground often when needed...hence take a chance on Albert.

Pats have always been so good cuz they never make mistakes...and usually out coach the other teams but when the jets don't make errors themselves and Rex draws up new d schemes they can play w and beat the pats.

In the playoffs he was...
16-25 194 64% 3 TD's 0 Picks (Jets win 28-21)

Regular Season...
21-30 220 70% 3 TD's 0 Picks (Jets win 28-14)
17-33 164 52% 0 TD's 3 Picks (Pats win45-3)

45-3 game his whole team sucked, it was just one of those nights they had no chance from the begining, but other then that, he torched the Pats last year

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe