PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATS TRADE JAMIE COLLINS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total gut punch, WTF move. I am at a total loss for words. There HAS to be more to this right? Granted Collins has never been the most consistent player but when he is on....dude is a one man wreaking ball that destroys offenses. Intial thought was a third?!?!?! A third? For the most athletic LB in the NFL all they got was a third?!?!??! Now processing it, its the browns gave up a third for 8 games and the right to franchise him....which seems about right actually. Personally I get the idea of getting at least something for an assest but this is one trade I would have refused to make. There simply has to be behind the scene stuff we aren't hearing. Loved your play Collins, best of luck in your new home but damn it why couldn't you make it work here long term *goes off to drink heavily*

Step away from the ledge. LOL
Why are we surprised by this?!!
Belichick never lets go of the vine unless he's got a certain grip on the next swing!!
If he hasn't already, Elandon Roberts will make you forget about Jamie Collins and we'll have him for another 3 years, guaranteed!!
This is team building and roster management in the Free Agency era and nobody, absolutely nobody, is better at it than Belichick.
Best of luck Jamie, you just went from a 7-1 team to an 0-8 team.
I would argue this move sends a pretty clear message to both players and agents.
That has value too!

As Johnny Carson would say, More to come:

People that say "they would have gotten a pick in 2018" need to brush up on how compensatory works. Absolutely zero guarantee that would happen.
There's absolutely zero guarantee the sun won't explode in 37 minutes but we can be pretty sure about it

I'm just really surprised they traded him the day after the game when they have the whole week plus the bye to work out a better deal

Trade deadline is tomorrow.

More:

Collins' contract will expire after the season, and he was at one point asking for what one league source described as "Von Miller money." TheDenver Broncos gave Miller a six-year, $114.5 million deal in July that included that $70 million guaranteed.

I dont think collins is the missing piece in this defense. But if this effects the locker room morale for hightower and DMac etc then it can be a mess.
if you are a player on this team and you dont yet realize that no one is more important than the other players in that locker room (outside of Brady of course) - then your career wont be long in New England... This team's motto is the Whole is greater than the sum of its parts - and it will remain that way as long as Belichick runs this team

Disagree. Even in his bad days, he would still be a good player (Only good). Combine that with the lack of great ILBs in the league, plus his erratic playing (He could make one incredible play per game, for example) and we have a top 10 LBs.

I hate how people change opinions to fit the narrative around here. Yesterday, Collins was a god player. Now he is worthless (Not saying you did that, but i'm seeing a whole lote of poster who happen to change their minds now)

This has nothing to do with changing opinion on players. Nobody of the sane peope here says that Collins sucks. In fact he is a pretty good player with insane measurables and elite potential but this is his fourth year. The point being, if he still has not proven that he can consistently show up with dominant performances then there is a good chance that it will not happen and this is a big issue if he wants to be paid on an All Pro level.

What many people here seem to forget is that in parallel to the actual sport being played on the field there is another game going on in parallel in terms of juggling cap space/deciding who to invest in. This was mostly a business move where we got an additional day 2 pick for 8 games of a pretty good player.

I wish we could have kept him for a considerably longer time but with the contract numbers being floated there was no way this was happening.

Last edited:
Even more:

Collins played 48 of 70 defensive snaps against the Buffalo Bills on Sunday, which was unusual because he had typically been an every-down player.

The Patriots (7-1) took him off the field when the Bills used fullbackJerome Felton in run-based packages, perhaps indicating that New England no longer viewed Collins as a three-down linebacker.

He wanted NINETEEN MILLION per year? Yeah, see you later.

I swear to god if Tom puts us in a position to win again come January and the defense lets him down ONCE AGAIN then i'm going to lose it.

You are aware that it was the offense, particularly the offensive line that was by far more to blame, right?

Agreed with the guys you posted. Maybe except for Bowman, but anyway. Miller isn't really an ILB, but sure.

My point is that we would be getting a 4th rounder regardless. Would you rather have AT LEAST a very good back up with Collins and a 4th round in 2018, or a low 3rd round pick or high 4th round in 2017, but with no back-up to our playrs (And Roberts is also a rookie)

You probably did not see my previous posts...Ill repeat.
I would have rather just kept collins or just gotten back a player who can make an impact. My point was that the 3rd round, compensatory or not, is fair

I'd blast you for not joining the other threads, but I understand hat you are probably dazed and confused like the rest of us.

I thought this was a Halloween joke until I saw 400+ replies.

If he wanted Miller money I get trading him but not for what they got.

How's that Chandler Jones for Cyrus Jones trade doing? So the 62nd pick in the draft can't get on the field, and they just traded Collins for 97th pick??

I thought the ridiculous trade of Chandler Jones was because the Pats needed to resign Collins and Hightower. What's the rationale for this one? This is even worse than the Chandler Jones trade, which was awful!!

What would you rather have Chandler Jones and Collins, or Cyrus Jones and the 97th pick in the 2017 draft?

You could have kept both of them, then let them walk the Pats would have ended up with the 97th and 98th picks in the 2018 draft.

First of all, you're making an ass ton of assumptions.
- Your claim that the Chandler Jones trade was awful is just your opinion. Considering that it takes 3 years to evaluate players (unless they are sent packing due to maturity issues ala Easley), Jones is a work in progress. You forget that Mitchell was part of the trade as well.

- You're making an assumption that it's the 97th pick. NFL.com is reporting it to be a CONDITIONAL pick, not a compensatory pick. Huge difference.

- If Collins was, indeed, free-lancing and not doing his job on the field, that is more likely to cost us a SB than to win it for us.

And no, the Patriots wouldn't have, necessarily, ended up with the 97th and 98th picks in 2018. Why? Because they'd have to lose more eligible free agents than they signed and hope that the signings don't offset the losses. (A $9M signing by the Pats would off-set a $9M+ Free Agency loss).

We should have gotten more, that's the end of the story. Regardless of Collins' attitude or uneven play he has been one of the best players on this defense ever since he was drafted. He is easily worth more than a 3rd round comp pick from the Browns. If Bill has no plans to keep him after this season, let him walk, and we would be almost guaranteed a comp pick. There is no defense for this trade, Bill f***ed up.

Quick question (and I saw the tweet posted somewhere else in the thread but can't find it again).

Is it true that if the Borwns don't get a compensatory 3rd rounder that the trade is a 4th round pick? Also, as a Browns fourth rounder would be the highest 4th pick the Pats have (NE and Sea should have better records) this could be the pick the Pats lose for Deflategate?
If that is the case, did the Pats just trade Collins for the ability to keep two fourth round picks in 2017 or are they fairly certain the Browns will have a 3td round compensatory pick awarded.

Not Surprised. Pats don't over pay for anyone. They offer fair market value and if it is turned down its see you later and good luck.

If what Lombardi says is true that BB didn't like JC freelancing play that is in line with the team first mentality and it's my way or the highway.

Very disappointed with the return,but you take what you can get at the moment.

I'm just really surprised they traded him the day after the game when they have the whole bye week to work out a better deal... Belichick must've been really mad when he saw the tapes last night.
Trade deadline is tomorrow at 1 PM so they could not wait through the bye and then trade him. Also if they have another trade to work on contingent on Collins being gone would need to get Collins done today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back