PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATS TRADE JAMIE COLLINS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sums up my reaction at BB right now. 100%.

No words.

yeah, cause the Pats are always signing high priced free agents to off set whatever Collins would have gotten....

FreeTed - AdamJT13 posted his Comp Pick page earlier. Please go and read it. There are offsets based on the number of Free Agents before there are off-sets for salary.. If the Pats signed 4 players at 2M+, and lost 4 players at 8M+, they aren't likely to get a comp pick..

I'm just really surprised they traded him the day after the game when they have the whole bye week to work out a better deal... Belichick must've been really mad when he saw the tapes last night.

Trade deadline is tomorrow 4pm. Didn't have a week to work out a better deal.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Collins trade just yet, but why does trading Collins = Pats not winning the Super Bowl to some of you?

This move is absolutely stupid. I'd rather win a Super Bowl and let him walk for nothing then trade him to the Browns for what's gonna be a low 4th when it's all said and done since it's a compensatory pick.

I'm sorry, this is without a doubt the worst trade Bill has ever made and makes no sense whatsoever.

Mankins was washed up. Jones you got a decent haul for and had time to replace him.

But trading your best LB mid season for a pick when you're defense clearly isn't all there yet, lacking a pass rush, just to save money?

WTF

HT has easily been the best LB this season, not JC.

Ding Ding.

Currant isn't a turd polisher. He also isn't insanely contrarian.

Collins' return is the stunner. Roberts was playing more and more. Who knows what's next, but Borges is a fool.

Unlike some here, there was no way all 3 were getting signed. Cap space be damned. I think this bodes well for Hightower, his locker placement etc.

Keep Malcom and High. Funny part, Howe said that contract negotation were ongoing with Collins, but it can be hard with high profile guys. Two days later, he's gone. It isn't for nothing that's for sure.

OK, I'm feeling better that it says a "Conditional" draft pick rather than a compensational. I can only hope that the condition is that the Pats get the Browns highest third round pick, and ifBrowns sign Collins to a long term deal, it esculates to a second round pick.

Even then, I would say its a bad trade, just not a horrific one.

Did Belichick look around the league and decide that his team was TOO good in comparison their competition? Did he willingly make it harder on his team so he'd be able to showcase his own coaching genius?

Quick question (and I saw the tweet posted somewhere else in the thread but can't find it again).

Is it true that if the Borwns don't get a compensatory 3rd rounder that the trade is a 4th round pick? Also, as a Browns fourth rounder would be the highest 4th pick the Pats have (NE and Sea should have better records) this could be the pick the Pats lose for Deflategate?
If that is the case, did the Pats just trade Collins for the ability to keep two fourth round picks in 2017 or are they fairly certain the Browns will have a 3td round compensatory pick awarded.
OverTheCap.com says Mack will give the Browns a third round pick pick and they've been very good in the past. Technically, there had to be a contingency plan in case Mack is cut before week 10, because then he wouldn't count for the comp pick formula. Mack is not going to be cut, so it's probably pretty safe.

But trading your best LB mid season for a pick when you're defense clearly isn't all there yet, lacking a pass rush, just to save money?
It's not a money saving move.

See, you can give out good arguments.

I disagree with you on the basis that we would VERY LIKELY get the same thing (3rd/4th round comp pick) if we retained him for this year. It would take effect in 2018, so it is a one year advantage, if you want to call it like this. Plus we get the added disadvantage of having NO BACK-UPS to a good player. We have HT, which has been hurt a lot recently but is really good and Roberts, who is a rookie and not at the same level of Collins. Then we have nobody, cause Freeny is IR'ed.

You basing this on the assumption that that compensatory pick is guaranteed which it is not. We have another discussion about this going on in a different thread so I will just point to that.

OK, I'm feeling better that it says a "Conditional" draft pick rather than a compensational. I can only hope that the condition is that the Pats get the Browns highest third round pick, and ifBrowns sign Collins to a long term deal, it esculates to a second round pick.

I would assume "conditional" just means whether the Browns are assigned a third round comp pick or not. Every trade involving comp picks has to be conditional since they're not assigned yet.

This move is absolutely stupid. I'd rather win a Super Bowl and let him walk for nothing then trade him to the Browns for what's gonna be a low 4th when it's all said and done since it's a compensatory pick.

I'm sorry, this is without a doubt the worst trade Bill has ever made and makes no sense whatsoever.

Mankins was washed up. Jones you got a decent haul for and had time to replace him.

WTF

Low 4th?

if you are a player on this team and you dont yet realize that no one is more important than the other players in that locker room (outside of Brady of course) - then your career wont be long in New England... This team's motto is the Whole is greater than the sum of its parts - and it will remain that way as long as Belichick runs this team

Which a large majority of posters on this board don't seem to understand and comprehend.

It's a conditional pick for a third round compensatory pick. Here's the condition: If the Browns get a third round compensatory pick, the Pats get it. If they don't, they get the Browns fourth round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back