PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade deadline thread

I spoke to Kyed this week about cb help and this is the name that he mentioned. Something to keep an eye on.
Hes not what he was but better than anyone we have not named JC Jackson.

Problem is hes getting talked about a lot which most likely means he'll come at a premium.

I hear Upton has really lowered her standards in recent years. So I am saying you have a shot. :)

It is unlikely that they would trade to the Pats, but I don't think it is as ridiculous to think as it would have been in the past. I think the hatred between the two teams have cooled a bit. And with Crowder being a free agent after the season, the trade wouldn't help the Pats beyond this year and the Jets are out of playoff contention anyway.

Forgot about that trade. Although that was a trade that was in theory more beneficial to the Jets at least in the short term.

But then again, their season is basically done and a late round pick is more beneficial to them than Crowder would be for the rest of the season.

Problem is hes getting talked about a lot which most likely means he'll come at a premium.
lol RW, I was thinking the same thing. When someone is talked about this much, probably not going to happen.

lol RW, I was thinking the same thing. When someone is talked about this much, probably not going to happen.
Here is the thing.....

I don't think the NEP will be buyers in next year's FA market which means any players whos contract expire will be comp-pick eligible.

The only players I see as possibly fetching us picks are High, DMC and JC.

Lots of unknowns but if BB thinks this team has a shot at making it out of the AFC, they need a better than average boundary CB to help deal with Allen, Mahomes, etc.

Here is the thing.....

I don't think the NEP will be buyers in next year's FA market which means any players whos contract expire will be comp-pick eligible.

The only players I see as possibly fetching us picks are High, DMC and JC.

Lots of unknowns but if BB thinks this team has a shot at making it out of the AFC, they need a better than average boundary CB to help deal with Allen, Mahomes, etc.

Hightower and McCourty are not getting big contracts on the free agent market next offseason. In fact, I expect Hightower to retire. Possibly McCourty too. My guess is neither would get much more than the veteran minimum plus incentives. I don't see either factoring into the compensation formula.

Adrian Phillips is far more likely to factor into that formula than either Hightower or McCourty. Although, I think the Pats will try to retain him.

Not that the Pats were ever going to trade for him.

Interesting article by Z. Cox...18 players available ahead of the trade deadline...some interesting names:

Melvin Ingram, DE, Pittsburgh Steelers
No longer the dominant force he was with the Los Angeles Chargers, Ingram still is a solid pass rusher who hasn’t found a consistent role in Pittsburgh. The Patriots could use more players capable of getting after opposing quarterbacks.

DeSean Jackson, WR, Los Angeles Rams
The Rams reportedly could release Jackson if they can’t find a trade partner. It’s hard to envision Jackson being a good fit with the Patriots, who already have Nelson Agholor, and you have to wonder why he wants to leave a team many believe could win the Super Bowl.

Brandin Cooks, WR, Houston Texans
Cooks’s angry tweet last week sparked speculation of a potential Patriots reunion, but the Texans reportedly would prefer to hold onto the speedy wideout.

Kyle Fuller, CB, Denver Broncos
Fuller is only a few seasons removed from being one of the best corners in the NFL, but he’s been awful this season. We dove into why he and the Patriots wouldn’t be a good match in a column last week.

Andy Isabella, WR, Arizona Cardinals
A second-round pick in 2019, Isabella has done virtually nothing since arriving in the NFL. The speedy UMass product could be a worthy flier for the Patriots, who need more speed at slot receiver.

Fletcher Cox, DT, Philadelphia Eagles
Cox is one of the best defensive tackles in football and would be a major addition to any team. But he’s expensive, and the Patriots already have invested a lot into their defensive line.

DeVante Parker, WR, Miami Dolphins
A good player, but it’s hard to imagine the Dolphins trading him within the division.

Kareem Jackson, S, Denver Broncos
New England boats one of the best safety groups in the NFL. It doesn’t need to consider adding a player like Jackson.

Kemoko Turay, DT, Indianapolis Colts
The 2018 second-round pick hasn’t lived up to his draft status and might be in need of a fresh start. But, with rookie Christian Barmore looking like a potential star, the Patriots don’t really have a need for Turay.

L.J. Collier, DE, Seattle Seahawks
A first-round bust, Collier is the kind of freakishly athletic reclamation project that Belichick loves to take on. Still, the Patriots would be better served by simply giving Josh Uche more playing time.

Andre Dillard, OT, Philadelphia Eagles
The Patriots have plenty of quality depth on the offensive line, even without Trent Brown. Plus, would Dillard really be worth rostering over players such as Justin Herron and Yodney Cajuste?

Marlon Mack, RB, Indianapolis Colts
At this point, the Patriots likely will roll with their current backfield for the rest of the season, unless an injury necessitates a move. Mack is a quality back, but his issues with blitz pickups would make him an iffy fit in New England.

Marcus Maye, S, New York Jets
The Jets trading one of their best players to the Patriots? No shot.

Darius Slayton, WR, New York Giants
Slayton is a good, young receiver, but his team-friendly deal likely would force teams to part with a high draft pick to acquire him. A straight-up swap for N’Keal Harry wouldn’t get it done and probably wouldn’t entice the Giants, anyway.

A.J. Bouye, CB, Carolina Panthers
Hey, the Patriots a few weeks ago traded a 30-year-old corner to the Panthers, so maybe Carolina could return the favor. Bouye isn’t nearly as good as he once was, but the Patriots could fit him under the cap and might not have to part with much. The Stephon Gilmore context would make this kind of trade a horrible look for the Patriots, but they might not have another choice.

Clelin Ferrell, DE, Las Vegas Raiders
The fourth overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft is a total bust. The Patriots could afford him, but there are better trades to be made.

Hayden Hurst, TE, Atlanta Falcons
The Patriots already roster two high-priced tight ends and another who was a third-rounder last year. There would be no point in trading for Hurst.

Evan Engram, TE, New York Giants
Insert above logic.

Reactions: sb1
Hightower and McCourty are not getting big contracts on the free agent market next offseason. In fact, I expect Hightower to retire. Possibly McCourty too. My guess is neither would get much more than the veteran minimum plus incentives. I don't see either factoring into the compensation formula.

Adrian Phillips is far more likely to factor into that formula than either Hightower or McCourty. Although, I think the Pats will try to retain him.
I can see High and DMC netting a 5th rounder each to us.

Who are the folks the Pats aren’t likely to retain (afford) at the end of this year? Could we be sellers despite an up-arrow? Any chance we sell JC before we can’t afford him? Likely have to be better than a 3rd, right?

Who are the folks the Pats aren’t likely to retain (afford) at the end of this year? Could we be sellers despite an up-arrow? Any chance we sell JC before we can’t afford him? Likely have to be better than a 3rd, right?

Hightower and McCourty trading either one would open up $7 million in cap space. Trading JC Jackson would clear out @2 million.

I've said for a while, if they could get a 2nd plus for Jackson, I would move him. Nobody is taking on the Hightower or McCourty contracts.

Trading Harry would be an almost net zero effect on the cap.

New England Patriots Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Hightower and McCourty trading either one would open up $7 million in cap space. Trading JC Jackson would clear out @2 million.

I've said for a while, if they could get a 2nd plus for Jackson, I would move him. Nobody is taking on the Hightower or McCourty contracts.

Trading Harry would be an almost net zero effect on the cap.

New England Patriots Salary Cap | Over the Cap
Very bold stuff. I would trade McCourty if they have someone in house that can do his role but JC Jackson? I guess if you won't sign him next year and someone offers that much. Interesting.

Ask me about Jonnu Smith after June 1 2022.

The Pats need an outside CB. If they can get that, they can move Mills to nickel which is his more natural position.
Inside, outside… they just need some more talent and depth. They play mostly zone now anyway and will do so more without Jon Jones. They may already have the answer at outside corner if they can fix their reclamation projects in Shaun Wade or Sean Davis so this conversation may be all for naught.

I’m not convinced Fuller would be a good acquisition. From what I’ve read he is expensive, and has a bad attitude.
Often players have bad attitudes on bad teams, I trust BB to fix a lot of that and good corners want to play for him.

Often players have bad attitudes on bad teams, I trust BB to fix a lot of that and good corners want to play for him.
Revis, Talib, Browner all were model team mates on and off the field here.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back