PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Sign Brandon Browner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
and roland james makes 5. I believe that they were all on at least one team.

QUOTE=jeffbiologist;3786744]Mike Haynes, Ray Clayborn, Tim Fox and Rick Sanford all first round picks![/QUOTE]

and roland james makes 5. I believe that they were all on at least one team.

QUOTE=jeffbiologist;3786744]Mike Haynes, Ray Clayborn, Tim Fox and Rick Sanford all first round picks!
[/QUOTE]

Damn! Good work by you and Jeff.

I just want to say this while I am still calm. Before my head explodes, or I have a stroke.

I just don't understand why so many people who claim to know something about football and claim to have been Patriot fans for many years, can spend time looking for help at SS, like its a key need for the Pats secondary.

Don't you people even watch the games, listen to the reports that describe what happens. If you did, you should have realized that for the last SEVERAL years the Pats have played in a system where THERE IS NO SS. They don't flop their safeties, people. I repeat, THEY DON'T FLOP THEIR SAFETIES. Thus by definition, SS is a position that doesn't EXIST within the Pats defense!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thus my frustration when in almost EVERY thread, regardless of the topic, there will be posts calling for the addition of a SS. Then the posts analyzing SS prospects in the draft and FA. And the posts assuming that Browner has been signed so he can be a SS for the Pats, despite the fact that one of his limitations is his effectiveness covering in space. :eek:

What the Pat need at the 2nd safety spot, is a guy who is fast and athletic enough to cover WR's and TE's down the seams. Has the range to cover deep outside over the top. Has the strength to play in the box (inverted) in 3 deep coverages, against the run. And has the instincts to read patterns and attack when he's in the "robber" position. That's who would be the ideal player to play next to McCourty. We should get too caught up with what the media labels as positions. BTW- the above description, DOES NOT describe Brandon Browners skill set.

Help me out here guys. There Pats have work to do this off season, without us wasting time looking to fill a position that doesn't exist.
It's generally easier to describe the Safety positions historically ken as FS and SS. Most people recognise these terms. You can call it left or you can call it right Safety as it makes no difference to me. I find it easier myself to equate the position historically even though I know the assignments differ from game plan to game plan.

Browner is a physical DB. Whether he plays CB or Safety is inconsequential to me. He can press in both and effectively switch between positions according to assignment. I'd expect him to be up in the box or relatively close to it. McCourty is best left to his own devices to patrol outside of the box given his incredible range. In a nutshell, that's why I still use FS/SS descriptions.

I want to go on record now saying I'm fine with the price we're paying him.

Considering the Rodney Harrison style head hunting he is known for, he might have a few fines to pay before the season is over.

The Denver game alone will probably cost him 50K

Was hoping for more like 4 separate fines of 50k. I kid.

I think Welker just might be ****ting his pants after delivering that Talib hit that imo killed any shot we had at that game. Now we have the personnel to make him pay.

Not sure if I'm way off here, but I feel like this signing was made with an eye towards stopping one guy: Julius Thomas. Browner is the PERFECT player to match up with him. 6'4'', big, strong, physical, nasty. If we can single cover Julius Thomas with Browner, and have Revis on Demaryius Thomas, all of a sudden stopping Denver becomes A LOT easier.

I just want to say this while I am still calm. Before my head explodes, or I have a stroke.

I just don't understand why so many people who claim to know something about football and claim to have been Patriot fans for many years, can spend time looking for help at SS, like its a key need for the Pats secondary.

Don't you people even watch the games, listen to the reports that describe what happens. If you did, you should have realized that for the last SEVERAL years the Pats have played in a system where THERE IS NO SS. They don't flop their safeties, people. I repeat, THEY DON'T FLOP THEIR SAFETIES. Thus by definition, SS is a position that doesn't EXIST within the Pats defense!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thus my frustration when in almost EVERY thread, regardless of the topic, there will be posts calling for the addition of a SS. Then the posts analyzing SS prospects in the draft and FA. And the posts assuming that Browner has been signed so he can be a SS for the Pats, despite the fact that one of his limitations is his effectiveness covering in space. :eek:

What the Pat need at the 2nd safety spot, is a guy who is fast and athletic enough to cover WR's and TE's down the seams. Has the range to cover deep outside over the top. Has the strength to play in the box (inverted) in 3 deep coverages, against the run. And has the instincts to read patterns and attack when he's in the "robber" position. That's who would be the ideal player to play next to McCourty. We should get too caught up with what the media labels as positions. BTW- the above description, DOES NOT describe Brandon Browners skill set.

Help me out here guys. There Pats have work to do this off season, without us wasting time looking to fill a position that doesn't exist.

Not sure why that bothers you. Seems like a waste of anger to me. You would think most fans know that the SS has been going away over the last 4-5 years. However it is pretty hard not to think of Browners skill set and not make SS comparisons. He is big,hits like a truck and has a nasty streak about him. Alas, he differs because he has some range and very decent cover ability. Pretty much a hybrid FS/SS perception. I'm sure more than half of NFL fans think of Chancellor the same way. We will see if Browner even plays safety. He may take over at CB when he returns. Does seem to have a knack of making big time plays all over the field.

I think Welker just might be ****ting his pants after delivering that Talib hit that imo killed any shot we had at that game. Now we have the personnel to make him pay.

This. I really think Belichick is going to unleash violence this year.
Nice guys finish last. We all get this now.

After seeing the entire AFC cheer at all our injuries last year, especially with Gronk, and then see the league defend that bull**** with Welker, it's on.

This is 11 vs. 11

In theory, Revis makes it 10 vs. 10.

Browner, Ryan, Dennard, Devin, Harmon
Mayo/Collins/Hightower/Beuharinis(sp?)/Pick?
Jones/Vellano/Kelly/Armstead?/Jones/Siliga(sp?)/Pick?

If Vince/BB could find some middle ground...

Boston D party...

Give me early interior OL and TE in the draft. An aforementioned pick if the right player is present.

There is no middle ground without Wilfork in game shape, and that is not happening anytime soon (if ever).

If Vince/BB could find some middle ground...

Pats Sign Browner!

Underhill watching film:

@Nick_Underhill: Watching some film … If Brandon Browner gets his hands into someone’s chest at the line, they’re basically dead.

@Nick_Underhill: Yeah, well, he’s a little dirty. RT @ezlazar: more concerned about how many penalties he had in Seattle.

@Nick_Underhill: I don’t mind the way he plays. Maybe be a little smarter, but I like the edge. RT @ezlazar: maybe the way to beat Den is to get a lil dirty?

@Nick_Underhill: I don’t see him as a safety. RT @IKON_INC: Safety, would not suit his major strength

@Nick_Underhill: Seeing Browner in zone kind of ruins the safety idea for me.

I think he did have a lot of penalties. Anyone have #s?

Underhill watching film:

@Nick_Underhill: Watching some film … If Brandon Browner gets his hands into someone’s chest at the line, they’re basically dead.

@Nick_Underhill: Yeah, well, he’s a little dirty. RT @ezlazar: more concerned about how many penalties he had in Seattle.

@Nick_Underhill: I don’t mind the way he plays. Maybe be a little smarter, but I like the edge. RT @ezlazar: maybe the way to beat Den is to get a lil dirty?

@Nick_Underhill: I don’t see him as a safety. RT @IKON_INC: Safety, would not suit his major strength

I think he did have a lot of penalties. Anyone have #s?

I'm not the most efficient person with digging up the nuts and bolts of football stats online, but I did watch a good amount of Seahawk football when he was playing with them.

He is definitely what we would call "a little dirty" when he isn't on our team. I seem to recall a lot of crying for his head on this forum after he leveled Welker two years ago. Ironic most will be wanting to see a repeat now.

I remember him drawing a few 15 yard penalties but those flags seemed worth it if you were a Seahawk fan. He's an intimidator.

Let's just say he has a talent for violence that sometimes gets an official reaching for his pocket.

I don't ever remember him doing it at really stupid times though which is the most important thing in my mind. I'll take a penalty when it doesn't matter if it leads to a receiver wetting himself for the rest of the game.

I think it's highly likely that although he may not be playing safety per se, he will see a lot of snaps doing something a linebacker or safety generally does. Covering TEs. Put him on a TE, or a bigger, slower receiver, then use revis and dennard on the other primaries, and you let that front 7 do whatever the hell it wants to do.

So technically saying he plays that SS role isn't entirely incorrect if you look at it like that, because he would essentially be a hybrid S/CB. And THAT is perfect, because it makes the defense all that more dangerous.

I seem to recall a lot of crying for his head on this forum after he leveled Welker two years ago. Ironic most will be wanting to see a repeat

That play was perfectly executed and completely clean. He does fly off the handle a bit (see, packers- seahawks) but there are some guys that earn some leeway with their play. Brandon Spikes made some bone headed mistakes, but when he was forcing fumbles left and right in 2012, you ignore it a bit.

I'm not the most efficient person with digging up the nuts and bolts of football stats online, but I did watch a good amount of Seahawk football when he was playing with them.

He is definitely what we would call "a little dirty" when he isn't on our team. I seem to recall a lot of crying for his head on this forum after he leveled Welker two years ago. Ironic most will be wanting to see a repeat now.

I remember him drawing a few 15 yard penalties but those flags seemed worth it if you were a Seahawk fan. He's an intimidator.

Let's just say he has a talent for violence that sometimes gets an official reaching for his pocket.

I don't ever remember him doing it at really stupid times though which is the most important thing in my mind. I'll take a penalty when it doesn't matter if it leads to a receiver wetting himself for the rest of the game.

He absolutely is a little dirty, no point in denying it. But frankly, I just don't really care. If that's the price of having a physical presence in the secondary, you pay it.

Pats Sign Browner!

The Patriots have been gathering these defensive jokers for some time now.

They drafted Tavon Wilson to be a SS/LB, brought in Adrian Wilson for the same role, and now have Browner for CB/SS.

Bill loves these versatile player and has been quietly been building a roster of them.

-DMac can switch between FS and CB on the fly
-Collins can rush the passer as a 3-4 OLB and likely can cover TEs like a safety would.
-Rob Ninkovich, currently a DE, made a living with this team originally playing OLB!

He absolutely is a little dirty, no point in denying it. But frankly, I just don't really care. If that's the price of having a physical presence in the secondary, you pay it.

Same here.

I'm at the point no where I'm convinced of the following:
If you play dirty, the other guy is more likely to get injured.
If you play clean, you are.

Last season turned me to evil.

I'm Darth Patriot Fan now. He can start pile driving people on the field for all I care.

Almost any of that could have been and was said about Rodney Harrison..

:rocker: :beatingcoming: :rocker:

Great, great news! Cornerback is going to be good. Think Arrington is being cut though. Not worth the contract to be a 4th corner and lose his slot position.

Dennard and Ryan should be getting Arringtons slot reps. That contract to Arrington last year still makes no sense at all. The best part of Arringtons game was when BB put him in as DE with a hand in the dirt. I think it in prevent defense schemes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes