PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Sign Brandon Browner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were times last season when Belichick used a 4 defensive lineman, 3 linebacker, 3 cornerback, 1 safety front, I would not at all be surprised to see that take place in 2014 more often. In addition, I think Browner will play a ton of coverage LB and man up against the tight ends in the NFL. You look at third down situation Revis locks down the best WR and Browner locks down the top tight end it is special.

I do think he will see reps at safety though. He actually played safety in his first NFL stint before going to Canada.

Browner is perfect to cover big, athletic TEs Thomas in denver being one of them

Revis on D Thomas (still like typing this...a lot), Browner on J Thomas, Dennard/Ryan on Welker

So where does browner rank among the Seattle CBs? Behind Sherman for sure, but was he the second best or was he behind Maxwell and Thurman too? He was starting and then Maxwell took over....

So where does browner rank among the Seattle CBs? Behind Sherman for sure, but was he the second best or was he behind Maxwell and Thurman too? He was starting and then Maxwell took over....

He was a CB2 until the suspension. mayoclinic wanted him at SS. I could see the case for that and I would welcome it. But if the Pats drafted a guy like Bucannon, I would love to see Browner at CB. Give the D shut down ability at CB and physicality at both CB and SS.

Browner had a bit of a off year least year..but had 10 PD in 8 games...had 23 in 2011 in 16 games. Played in 12 games in 2012

Maxwell had 12 with 4 INTs in 16 games but only started 5 i think

Just imagine what Alfonzo Dennard must be thinking. He goes to jail for 35 days, and within the first 2 weeks Aqib Talib is a Bronco and the Pats have signed Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner.

He was a CB2 until the suspension. mayoclinic wanted him at SS. I could see the case for that and I would welcome it. But if the Pats drafted a guy like Bucannon, I would love to see Browner at CB. Give the D shut down ability at CB and physicality at both CB and SS.

Another late round safety prospect is Jonathan Dowling.

Browner and McCourty allow the team to remain in their base front seven a lot more, you take the field –

LCB – Revis
RCB – Dennard
LS – McCourty
RS – Browner

The opponent goes three wide or splits the tight out, either McCourty or Browner being good cornerbacks can rotate up and take the player 1on1 in man coverage and then the other safety plays center field. Add Collins and Mayo both as strong coverage LBs and we can rush five most times.

I think Hightower is going to 8-10 sacks this season, you can quote me on that, I think he will be free to rush from the SAM a lot more with this backfield.

He was their #2 corner, definitely better than Maxwell and Thurmond.

Just imagine what Alfonzo Dennard must be thinking. He goes to jail for 35 days, and within the first 2 weeks Aqib Talib is a Bronco and the Pats have signed Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner.

Dennard is an excellent CB, I think he deserves far more credit than he receives, Talib received so much credit for the turnaround, but Dennard was nearly as impactful.

The Revis and Browner signings are an excellent sign of how seriously the FO is treating the need to get more aggressive, physical and disruptive on defense. For the first time since Rodney and Ty we have a secondary which can play without fear of anyone, that can bully opposing offenses and QBs, which can play more aggressive and complex schemes, and which can allow the front 7 to become much more aggressive. The magnitude of Browner's contract is a sign of how the FO views him as a key piece of the puzzle, and how committed they are to not just doing the same old thing and hoping we get lucky.

I hope so.
I never liked the 2007+ team strategy of out Colting the Colts. Not that it was a bad one with Moss & Brady in their primes but watching the great DCs with great Ds figure out how to hold us down and then to see Brady last possession score only to have a limp **** defense get tooled seemed to be the anti-Patriot Dynasty way.
I remember fondly those low scoring games of the early 2000s where every time it came down to it someone, somehow made a big defensive play. I want to see that again before the dirt nap.

Either Browner goes to safety or there's one hell of a shakeup at corner...

Revis
Dennard
Browner
McCourty
Arrington

v.

Revis
Browner
?
McCourty
??

Great, great news! Cornerback is going to be good. Think Arrington is being cut though. Not worth the contract to be a 4th corner and lose his slot position.

There's a thing called the salary cap. Look it up.

Another late round safety prospect is Jonathan Dowling.

Browner and McCourty allow the team to remain in their base front seven a lot more, you take the field –

LCB – Revis
RCB – Dennard
LS – McCourty
RS – Browner

The opponent goes three wide or splits the tight out, either McCourty or Browner being good cornerbacks can rotate up and take the player 1on1 in man coverage and then the other safety plays center field. Add Collins and Mayo both as strong coverage LBs and we can rush five most times.

I think Hightower is going to 8-10 sacks this season, you can quote me on that, I think he will be free to rush from the SAM a lot more with this backfield.

The problem with browner at safety is that you are eliminating one of his best skills - disrupting at the line of scrimmage. I would like to see him at CB and for the team to draft or sign another safety. Clearly the pats view him as a CB or would not have paid him this much.

There were times last season when Belichick used a 4 defensive lineman, 3 linebacker, 3 cornerback, 1 safety front, I would not at all be surprised to see that take place in 2014 more often. In addition, I think Browner will play a ton of coverage LB and man up against the tight ends in the NFL. You look at third down situation Revis locks down the best WR and Browner locks down the top tight end it is special.

I do think he will see reps at safety though. He actually played safety in his first NFL stint before going to Canada.

BB put his best corner on Graham and they manhandled him all game. Love to see Browner right on the line against the TE's like Fleener, Julias Thomas, etc.

Either Browner goes to safety or there's one hell of a shakeup at corner...

Revis
Dennard
Browner
McCourty
Arrington

v.

Revis
Browner
?
McCourty
??

Again, I would welcome Browner at SS but imagine this...

CB1: Revis
CB2: Browner
Nickel: Dennard
Dime: Arrington/Ryan
FS: McCourty
SS: Pryor (trade up)/Bucannon/Exum/McGill

The SS position then gives you size, physicality, range, and can be covered up until the rookie comes along.

Pats Sign Browner!

Never understood the pile on h8 here for Tebow

Neither do i. What I saw was a kid that tried really hard. On a personal level, I can empathize. I'm working my ass off in my craft but I realize that I'm not going to be in the top bracket.

Joke != hate.

The SS position then gives you size, physicality, range, and can be covered up until the rookie comes along.

They should just put Nate Ebner at strong safety and let him run around and lay people out.

You know I'm fine with drafting the safety, but that would mean losing out on the DL, and that DL is going to need, probably, 3 legit young players in the next couple of years.

Never understood the pile on h8 here for Tebow

I think people hate what they don't understand. Tebow is an enigma.

I was not a huge fan of his especially as a QB but I was actually hoping they signed him to a future/reserve contract and attempted to convert him to TE or FB. I think he has talent as a runner and he is very competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes