PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats should continue to own AFC for few more years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only are Talib & Thomas still under contract with their current teams they will both be looking to break the bank on their next deals. If the Pats were willing to consider that type of cap hit at corner they'd keep Butler. New England is rocking it at safety, there's no cause to pay the kind of green Earl Thomas will be looking for.

Not only are Talib & Thomas still under contract with their current teams they will both be looking to break the bank on their next deals. If the Pats were willing to consider that type of cap hit at corner they'd keep Butler. New England is rocking it at safety, there's no cause to pay the kind of green Earl Thomas will be looking for.

At talib's age I doubt someone will give him a big deal with a lot of years. A two year deal i could see at best.

It's more or less academic since Talib is under contract for '18 & '19

I don’t get the Eli in JAX thing. First off I think the Giants keep him, but also he’s not necessarily an upgrade over Bortles at this point. He hasn’t won a playoff game since 46 (grrr) and as a passer his greatest successes of late are throwing for lots of yards to ODB in losses. He’s a decorated Jay Cutler whose peak is 4-5 years gone.

Watson I don’t know, I don’t think it’s fair to pre-judge based on player type though I cant totally disagree with your assessment. He’s made some throws that have made me go “damn” and he seems like he’s got “it”. Whether the consistency is ever there we have to let play out - as it stands I think he’s at least got the potential to be a Cam type QB who maybe isn’t year-in year-out on the elite level, but can dominate and take a team to the Super Bowl. And not many guys are on that other level, we’re historically spoiled here, most of the league would kill for a single season from its QB like Cam had in 2015 and enjoy the SB ride. Around here we have the privilege of semi-disowning an undefeated team that couldn’t close it out while we admire the 5 rings they did get. Mike Vick never made it that far but he sure stunned the **** out of GB when he went up there and beat Favre in the playoffs, and that’s definitely the kind of mojo that Watson looks to have.

Broncos with Cousins makes too much sense not to happen, and that puts them back in play. Certainly their division may be there for the taking too - Raiders with Gruden we’ll see if last year was just injuries, Chiefs maybe in transition at QB and couldn’t sustain, Chargers...always a bridesmaid.

Jax division looks like it’s getting tougher with the (prob) 2 best QBs missing most or all of this season, and I think they were very very good this year and nearly played well enough to beat NE at home in the AFCCG, but for some reason I just don’t see them repeating that regardless of QB...maybe this was their 2012 Seahawks season and they’ll be back to dominate next year and be in the mix for several years. But I think it’s just as likely they got fat on some bad teams this year, were inconsistent throughout, played a couple of really really excellent playoff games against NE and PIT...and they’ll win 9 games and miss the playoffs next year.

I said it at the beginning of the year and was mocked for it, was told that they were a contender, but the Broncos are a mess. Yes, a legit QB would solve a lot of their problems, but that defense is getting old- it's not what it was a few years ago. Their WRs are a mess. They aren't getting open and they were near the top of the league in dropped passes. They have no RB. And I don't know what their cap situation is, but adding a giant contract like that would most likely force some cuts. They were already talking about Talib being a cap casualty.

It's going to take a lot longer than one off season for that team to fix the mess that Elway created. Not to mention, the same guy that created the mess is now the same guy responsible for fixing it. That rarely works out. Nor does the throwing money at it trick. Ironically, something the Redskins tried for many years. I don't think giving a huge contract to a QB (who will be on the wrong side of 30 when next season starts) makes a lot of sense for a team that was one of the worst in the league last year. If Elway were smart, he would hire a consultant with a good track record to help him draft a QB at #5 and start the rebuilding process.

at least..

AFC is hot garbage. What do we got out there now? Jags maybe coming up? Steelers? It is like the AFC is ill and we still very well.

We may just be getting on a roll now.

Call me a hater, but I think Pittsburgh window is closing and this years team was probably the best we'll see from them for a while.

If the Jags can get themselves a pretty good QB in the offseason they could make a more serious run.

If talib got cut I’d be surprised but would want to see if he had anything left

Did anyone in their right mind two years ago, think that the Jags would come in to Foxborough and take the World Champs to the brink? It's impossible to predict what will happen. This year we lost our best player on defense and our #3 player on offense to injuries. Not to mention Hogan missing a good chunk of the season and not being 100% upon returning and Mitchell getting hurt yet again. What the injury bug is even worse next year?

Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. Let's just enjoy the moment. I don't know enough about Philly to talk about our chances. What I do know is that we have a pretty good football team. And a chance to win our sixth title eight days from now.

Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL.
8 straight first round byes.. 7 straight AFCCGs... 4 Super Bowl Appearances in that span, and Broncos and Ravens are practically no more....

And the AFC is all a hot mess.. it does not matter that the Jags came out of nowhere, what matters is the conference is filled with trash, and the Pats are consistently dominating it now.

I expect the Pats to have a very strong shot to at least make the Super Bowl every year of the final years of Brady/Belichick, even if it s 4 or 5 more years after this year.

Call me a hater, but I think Pittsburgh window is closing and this years team was probably the best we'll see from them for a while.

If the Jags can get themselves a pretty good QB in the offseason they could make a more serious run.

I don't really know what to think of the Jags.On the one hand, they made it to the AFC title game and beat Pittsburgh on the road to do it. On the other hand they had a cupcake schedule and still went 10-6. They should have a tougher schedule next year and the AFC South will be better, including the Titans, who swept them last year. I would not be shocked to see them miss the playoffs next year. I guess it would depend on how much of an upgrade we are talking about. Alex Smith? Not sure if he moves the needle for me. Kirk COusins? Maybe. Both guys are going to be overpriced. Where is the money going to come from? They are going to have to pay Allen Robinson like an elite WR (even though he isn't) if they want to keep him. I guess when you talk about a "pretty good QB" I don't know what that means. What's realistically available to them? I know it sounds crazy, but I think they stick with Bortles again. Final year of his contract. And it probably costs them a playoff berth.

As for Pittsburgh, I don't know. I think they have peaked with the group and the coach that they have. But I see no reason to think that they wont be in the mix again next year. I don't think losing Bell would be the blow that some people think it would. You can't pay a RB what he is demanding. Not in today's game. Even as a dual threat, his impact is overrated.

But I see no reason to think that they wont be in the mix again next year.
The Steelers will be there, because the AFC is almost entirely garbage. Pats roll against Steelers so its not an issue. They suck when it matters.

I don't really know what to think of the Jags.On the one hand, they made it to the AFC title game and beat Pittsburgh on the road to do it. On the other hand they had a cupcake schedule and still went 10-6. They should have a tougher schedule next year and the AFC South will be better, including the Titans, who swept them last year. I would not be shocked to see them miss the playoffs next year. I guess it would depend on how much of an upgrade we are talking about. Alex Smith? Not sure if he moves the needle for me. Kirk COusins? Maybe. Both guys are going to be overpriced. Where is the money going to come from? They are going to have to pay Allen Robinson like an elite WR (even though he isn't) if they want to keep him. I guess when you talk about a "pretty good QB" I don't know what that means. What's realistically available to them? I know it sounds crazy, but I think they stick with Bortles again. Final year of his contract. And it probably costs them a playoff berth.

As for Pittsburgh, I don't know. I think they have peaked with the group and the coach that they have. But I see no reason to think that they wont be in the mix again next year. I don't think losing Bell would be the blow that some people think it would. You can't pay a RB what he is demanding. Not in today's game. Even as a dual threat, his impact is overrated.

The thing is, all of their best players are young and on rookie contracts. They make a run at some veteran QB and they're a much bigger challenge to New England than Pittsburgh or any of the others. It would have to be Kirk Cousins, I think. Alex Smith would be an upgrade but I don't know if he has that "dog" in him for the postseason.

I think Pittsburgh loses Bell and Ben finally starts showing his age.

If talib got cut I’d be surprised but would want to see if he had anything left

I think he has something left in the tank but he likely would be a salary dump. They likely will let sanders go as well. They have been talking about getting Cousins but i don't see how that happens. They have some cap issues.

It's more or less academic since Talib is under contract for '18 & '19
Not really. He has a $12m cap hit next year and due $11m. Thats 3rd highest on the team. DEN saves $11m if they cut him. In 2019 hes due $8m and if cut there isnt a cap hit.

As of right now they are $25m under and if they want to sign Cousins and some additional flexibility they will need to shave another ~$15m.

Not really. He has a $12m cap hit next year and due $11m. Thats 3rd highest on the team. DEN saves $11m if they cut him. In 2019 hes due $8m and if cut there isnt a cap hit.

$20m in cap hits over 2 years for a pro bowl corner in today's market makes him tradeable not expendable.

$20m in cap hits over 2 years for a pro bowl corner in today's market makes him tradeable not expendable.
Not sure how many teams will take on $20m for a CB who turns 32 in 3 weeks.

If we draft four athletic defenders, preferably 2 de’s, 1 lb and 1 cb, and we resign solder or Garcia is a player and not the turd I saw at Troy, then there is no reason, we should not be back in this position next year.

You realize we get Hightower, Edelman, Mitchell, valentine, Rivers, and two Jones’s back next season.

Houston has the talent to take over the AFC, but they seem to have been managed into a corner. They had to let go of Bouye and Duane Brown for cap reasons, and don't pick until round 3. If everyone returns fully healthy, the Texans have the best top of the roster talent in the NFL, but they may be two years away from having the depth needed to get beyond the divisional round.

We talked about this at my home a few days ago,I think we all agreed that if Tom gets this 6th ring next weekend that there is a decent chance that he does hang it up...not because he is tired with Football but because Gisele and his kids and time to spend with them might over take his love for the game,as they should.

Gisele wanted him to retire after the 2016 season and I would think it might come up again.

We of course all hope not but stranger things have happened and nothing lasts forever.

One thing the Patriots have going for them is the way the organization is structured to keep winning.

Some here commented about how the Pats lost their OC and DC after SB win #3 in 2005 and is likely to lose the same two men holding those positions after this season. The Pats may not make the SB, but, the team will remain competitive and I think it would be a while before we see a Pats team become a .500 team. Does anyone see this organization look like a Cleveland or other franchise that has multiple losing seasons in a row? Getting another Brady is a pipe dream, but remaining competitive is in the organization's bloodstream now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes