PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Release Ryan Allen - Jake Bailey is the new punter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if Bailey were not the more talented punter, Allen would have still had an uphill climb to make the roster given Bailey's greater versatility (he can kick off and is a better FG kicker than Allen and is more of a threat on fake punts than Allen). That said, Allen did a great job for us and will be missed.

Jake Bailey
  • Played at Santa Fe Christian (Calif.) and connected on 12-of-16 field goals – including 54-yarder – as a senior. Also made 26-of-27 extra points.
  • Made three field goals of 50 or more yards and 40 touchbacks on 47 kickoffs as a senior
Interesting, work him as kicker too?

Does Bailey kick with his left foot?

I'm sure I'm not alone in remembering when Bill replaced Zoltan Mesko with Ryan. You'd have thought that he'd traded Brady...;). OK, maybe some slight hyperbole there, but the point remains the same. I'll trust Bill's judgement on this one as opposed to some yahoo poster's...

Maybe because he can Punt, KO, and do we see backup FG kicker in his future??

source.gif

I guess I would have preferred if the Patriots saved money on a cheaper/better kicker (~$4.5M) . Rather than letting go a good punter with $1.5M cap hit.

I guess I would have preferred if the Patriots saved money on a cheaper/better kicker (~$4.5M) . Rather than letting go a good punter with $1.5M cap hit.

You can find a kicker that's cheaper. You're not finding one that's cheaper AND better.

Was Bailey holding for Gost against the Titans...does he have issues there ?

So how many suitors will he have? I'm picking the Dolphins.

Maybe the hang time?

That’s certainly part of it, but his versatility and athleticism made it an easy call for Belichick. I’m surprised they couldn’t trade him.

They traded up in the 5th round for Bailey, they were never going to cut him.

As good as Allen is/was, Bailey has put in some tremendous punts in pre-season so far.

His free kick from the safety had a 5 second+ hang time and went an absolute mile. Even his kickoffs have been put in nice spots.

Jake Bailey
  • Played at Santa Fe Christian (Calif.) and connected on 12-of-16 field goals – including 54-yarder – as a senior. Also made 26-of-27 extra points.
  • Made three field goals of 50 or more yards and 40 touchbacks on 47 kickoffs as a senior
And there you have it. He can pass as an emergency kicker, he can kick the skin off the ball, and they obviously felt comfortable with him as a holder.

I would assume they think the skills are comparable with Bailey having the added bonuses of kickoff ability and the fact he is much cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes