PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats QB Room in for 2024

Cam, in his PRIME?

Cam would be better than anyone we have NOW.
Mac in a foot race against Zappe. Zappe has no athleticism. He is going to get sacked or check down.

I picked up and I’m starting the Chargers D in Fantasy this week.

Carson Beck (Georgia) is growing on me, let's see how he does in the playoffs. Has the size and arm strength. Get Harrison JR or his TE Bowers in the first round, grab Bek in the Second.
Beck behind a veteran (Tannehill?) for a while would work for me. Try to get Alt early and Beck may require a trade up into the latter first round, depending on his bowl performance. I think if Georgia doesn't win it all he'll go back for a Senior year. Without Tackle help, an early QB or WR will have diminished returns.

This is where I am at. Brissett would be my choice of a veteran signal caller. He will be much cheaper than Cousins/Mayfield/etc... and probably has some familiarity with O'Brien's system which has some remains from McDaniel's when Brissett was a rookie here.

And yes...a rookie QB too. I'd love Maye for his measurables and arm strength, but I could go with Bo Nix and Marv Harrison Jr....if we think Bo Nix will last until pick #35?

And we have to send Mac and Zappe packing. Those two guys need a fresh start elsewhere. I'd sign another veteran...maybe Grier again.
Nix shouldn't last until 35. A quarterback needy team will draft him in the first, and get the additional year of commitment.

Cleveland with Watson doubt it.
But they gave away Dobbs. They could have Mac this weekend....I think Mac is better than Flacco at this point, no?

I suggest that Brady would have used the talent well enough to put us in the playoffs every year, and a compeitor to go deep with a bit of health a luck.
From 2007 to 2018, Brady had some combination of a deep-threat WR, slot WR, TE, and/or third-down RB who was top 3 in the league every single year. Jones maybe had a top 3 TE in 2021, and then Patricia ****ed that up.

From 2007 to 2018, Brady had some combination of a deep-threat WR, slot WR, TE, and/or third-down RB who was top 3 in the league every single year. Jones maybe had a top 3 TE in 2021, and then Patricia ****ed that up.
My point is that the talent we have would have had comparable or close stats if Brady we our QB.

Dumbing down an offense isn't a good thing. It makes the offense more predictable and easier to defend. That is why you want a QB who can run a complex offense.

And dumbing down the offense is exactly what they did last year for Zappe and what O'Brien did for him last week. The Zappe refuse to see or admit it. It has nothing to do with defending Mac. It has to do with Zappe being a very limited QB.
You've attended practices, been on the sideline on game day... this is what Bill O'Brien told you directly?

They didn't dumb down anything. The plays they ran against the Giants were surely dumb though. Screen after screen after screen was a bad idea. Using Thornton who has limited mobility on screens and underneath routes is the height of stupidity. Despite all that they engineered the only scoring drive in the second half, they also got the ball down in field goal range with a chance to stay alive.

Perhaps with a week of actual practice reps and preparation they'll throw downfield some... but the offense will be the same offense.

We'll see... I'm not the one making stupid predictions.

How did Patricia screw it up?

Did he tell Jones to take sacks and throw INTs?

The deal was that the Pats were going give Jones the ball in 2022 and let him have control like the big QBs. Allow Jones to throw deep torching defenses and running his short safe passing game that he excels at. If it was all the OCs fault in 2022, where are the magical play calls from BOB making Jones a winner?

Dumbing down an offense isn't a good thing. It makes the offense more predictable and easier to defend. That is why you want a QB who can run a complex offense.

And dumbing down the offense is exactly what they did last year for Zappe and what O'Brien did for him last week. The Zappe refuse to see or admit it. It has nothing to do with defending Mac. It has to do with Zappe being a very limited QB.
Im glad that Corky Mac is not limited.

We need the draft picks.

He is QB3 because he is worse than the other two. That is why the Pats moved Grier to the PS.
But what do we have to lose at this point?, We might as well give him and/or Cunningham some live snaps just to see if there’s something to build on.

But what do we have to lose at this point?, We might as well give him and/or Cunningham some live snaps just to see if there’s something to build on.

Coaches know from practice if there is anything to build on. That is why it is rare to add a player that another team cut who becomes great. Maybe Malik because he is do raw and a rookie, but everyone knows who Grier is.

Were they that talented, or did Brady make them that much better?

more likely the latter. And that’s the problem. Brady made everyone around him better. Corky makes everyone around him worse.

Draft:
Bo Nix
-or-
Michael Penix

Decision to make.

Zappe will prove an adequate backup.

Continue to develop Malik Happy Days.

Draft:
Bo Nix
-or-
Michael Penix

Decision to make.

Zappe will prove an adequate backup.

Continue to develop Malik Happy Days.
I'm OK with drafting one of your two.

HOWEVER, we also need another draftee who might compete for the starting position (eventually) or be a backup in Year 2.

We also need to trade for a QB to start in 2024. Unless you are Lawrence or Stroud, it is a good idea for a QB to take some time to learn the NFL game.
==========================
BOTTOM LINE - PLAN TO GET A LOWER DRAFT PICK NEXT YEAR
1. Start a 2nd tier QB
2. Have a backup that who no team considers even a #3.
========
We need a 2024 veteran starter, a 1st or 2nd tier QB, and a developmental draftee backup.

Huh?

Hunter Henry has been on this team the entire time, Mac got worse. Nobody did it to him.

He largely looked good as a rookie because he was a complete unknown… nobody had tape on him.

By season’s end he was the same exact player we’ve seen since, only now his confidence is shot because he realizes pro football isn’t Alabama. Mac stinks, it’s nobody’s fault but Mac’s.

You've attended practices, been on the sideline on game day... this is what Bill O'Brien told you directly?

They didn't dumb down anything. The plays they ran against the Giants were surely dumb though. Screen after screen after screen was a bad idea. Using Thornton who has limited mobility on screens and underneath routes is the height of stupidity. Despite all that they engineered the only scoring drive in the second half, they also got the ball down in field goal range with a chance to stay alive.

Perhaps with a week of actual practice reps and preparation they'll throw downfield some... but the offense will be the same offense.

We'll see... I'm not the one making stupid predictions.

If all they are running is mostly screen passes, that is dumbing down the offense. They are not asking him to have to read a defense and understand where receivers are running based on coverage. They aren't asking him to read defenses. They are asking him to quickly dump off the ball in the flat. They gave him the most basic package of plays possible. Even his INT was the designed play and he audibled into it and then threw into triple coverage.

If all they are running is mostly screen passes, that is dumbing down the offense. They are not asking him to have to read a defense and understand where receivers are running based on coverage. They aren't asking him to read defenses. They are asking him to quickly dump off the ball in the flat. They gave him the most basic package of plays possible. Even his INT was the designed play and he audibled into it and then threw into triple coverage.
He read the defense, made audibles and made plays. David Andrews literally said this yesterday when someone asked him about Zappe in his presser.

The idiot media morons said the coaches “dumbed it down for Zappe” last season to explain his success in relation to Mac and you people ate it up.

If dumbing it down was a solution to anything, every team with bad QB play would be doing it. Laughable…

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back