PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats of the Past

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minute Man199

Rookie
Reaction score
Anyone here remember Marv Cook? When I was a little kid in the late 80's/early 90's growing up in New Jersey, I got to see New England a decent amount, especially against the Jets lol but Marv at TE was one of my favorite players, and I just loved how tough he was on the field. So I was wondering if anyone else here might have been a fan?

He was a very good TE. I think injuries ruined his career, if I remember correctly, due to injuries, Lin Dawson became NE's #1 TE due to Cook getting hurt. I might have my timeline wrong, but I think that's what happened.

I'm not the right demographic to contribute to an "of the Past" thread, but I've been paying attention recently as he has coached Iowa City Regina to five straight state championships. I definitely understand how somebody like that would have been a fan favorite during his playing days.

I loved when he trucked some DB's....but not my favorite. I was a Steve Grogan guy for all his time here.

Well, when I had to pick a name, I thought of the most relentless defensive player and that was Clayborn.

He was a very good TE. I think injuries ruined his career, if I remember correctly, due to injuries, Lin Dawson became NE's #1 TE due to Cook getting hurt. I might have my timeline wrong, but I think that's what happened.

Dawson was just before Cook. Ben Coates replaced Cook.

I loved Marv Cook he was one of the best pieces on one of the worst eras in this teams history.

I still get a kick playing with him in the old tecmo game for SNES.

Not Lin Dawson.

Ben Coates overtook Cook on the depth chart and become Bledsoe's go-to guy.

My timeline was outta whack. Thanks for the correction all.

Marv Cook had great hands but couldn't block for ****. That was a dealbreaker for Tuna.

He was more of an H-Back IMO.

Once Tuna got here he was done.

I liked Johnny Rembert and Sam Hunt. Fine accompniment to more well known linebackers. Rembert made his way from special teams.

For guys who were not 'stars" Ronnie Lippett was my favorite player, before that Sam Hunt and Julius Adams and Ron Burton for all he did in the community

Ben "Winter" Coates, loved that guy, he was a beast and a great weapon. I'm glad to see that a number of you remember good ole' Marv Cook. Pats have always had a knack for quality TE's i.e, Russ Francis.

My 5 pre Belichick era favorites not listed in order:

1: Steve Grogan
2: Sam Bam Cunningham
3: Stanley Morgan
4: Mike Haynes
5: Andre Tippett

My 5 pre Belichick era favorites not listed in order:

1: Steve Grogan
2: Sam Bam Cunningham
3: Stanley Morgan
4: Mike Haynes
5: Andre Tippett

Those are good ones buddy, I loved Andre Tippett, and I think he is one of the most underrated football players of all time.

I'm a Mosi's Mooses guy...

Loved a lot of the guys already mentioned... must also include:

Steve Nelson. Guy did not get enough credit.
Russ Francis. Kind of the "Gronk" of his day. LOL
Tim Fox. Tremendous hitter back there.
Andy Johnson. Kind of the Kevin Faulk of his day... except a better runner when healthy, with better YPC.

I'll go to my era of when I became a fan- the Bledsoe era in the mid 90's.

They were showing a rerun of SB 31 today, a few guys caught my eye that I remembered.

Shawn Jefferson: while Glenn and Coates were more productive targets, Jefferson was one of my favorites. Dude had speed and could flat out fly. Averaged around 22 yards/catch in 1998!

Keith Byars: Was one of Bledsoes safety valves in that game. Although he was not here very long and his best days were in Philly and Miami, I really liked him while he was here. He was a good player for us.

Otis Smith: Otis was great the second time around for us in 2001, but yikes he got torched in the Super Bowl vs. Green Bay. Andre Rison absolutely ran right past him out the gate.

And how could I have forgot about Scooter Mcgruder. Probably my all time favorite name for a player. :D

And how could I have forgot about Scooter Mcgruder. Probably my all time favorite name for a player. :D

Some had good nicknames too...

Steve "Big House" Moore
Harlon "The Hit Stick" Barnett
Vincent "The Undertaker" Brown
John "Hog" Hannah
Steve "Beth" Israel
Ricky "Whiplash" Reynolds

Some had good nicknames too...

Steve "Big House" Moore
Harlon "The Hit Stick" Barnett
Vincent "The Undertaker" Brown
John "Hog" Hannah