PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats not trading Garoppolo - Schefter

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's really disrespectful to Schefter. I think he's reporting what his sources are telling him but he's in no way in cahoots with the franchise. And I don't agree with what Schefter has reported.
God forbid we are disrespectful to a guy who makes millions to spread rumors for ESPN.

IIRC Favre rode the pine for only one year in ATL then was a starter Year 2 in GB.

I don't understand why people think just because Jimmy carried a clipboard for 3 years he won't be a star.

Do people know who the 1st string QB here is??

He could be, but he could also end up busting, there are too many factors to know for sure. What I'm disagreeing with is the contention that he's a lock to be a franchise QB and that moving on from Brady Asap is the move to make. And while I have made numerous remarks about him being brittle it's only as retort to those who keep chanting Brady's age as though it is any more relevant than Garrapolos injury. Brady could very well play another five years at a high level and Garrapolo could stay healthy most of his career, there's no way to know. What we do know is that the Patriots have the greatest QB in history, he's been getting better the last three seasons and he went 14-1 this season, and that he had led them to 2 Super Bowl Championships in the last three seasons and been the MVP of both. Meanwhile posters I respect are claiming that moving on from him in 2014, and handing the job to Garrapolo would have been the right move.

Seriously?

GTFOOH

I agree with you on Brady being better than Garrapolo for the next three seasons but I disagree on burning the house down and starting over after that. What Belichick has created that other franchises have not been able to create successfully is a program, and they have done at every level of operation, from scouts big and drafting to pro player evaluation and cap management, to the structure and expectations they have for their coaches, trainers, and game day operations. They have a successful and integrated system in place for every aspect of the franchise. And while it's difficult to imagine them being this successful when Brady and Belichick retire I think they will be able to pass the torch and will maintain the systems and structures they have in place that make them so successful as a franchise. They won't be able to duplicate the success they have with the two respective GOATS but Caserio and MacDaniels or Caserio and Patricia will still run a really organized franchise and maintain the program they have developed for years to come, and someday that may ultimately be the greatedt aspect of Belichick legacy.

In other words, the NEP have established a superior corporate culture and have several coaches in their ranks that seemingly embrace that culture. I agree it's likely that the NEP will continue to be a very good franchise post BB and TFB.

I hope that's the case but I'm not sure how assiduously I'll follow after they're gone. Reason being the league's culture of corruption, e.g. ex-Jets dominating the NFL front office plus owners willing to sabotage a superior franchise.

2 years is not 3
If garoppolo turns into matt cassell whoever he is playing for will be very disappointed.
It's not a "predictive method" it's a detriment to success.

As RW pointed out, it wasn't a detriment to success for Staubach. It wasn't a detriment to success for Rodgers. And Romo sat on the bench for 2 full seasons. There is no football reason why someone can be successful after sitting on the bench for two years, but will probably fail if he sits on the bench for most of each season for three or four years. A QB doesn't deteriorate physically or mentally in his mid-twenties.

As RW pointed out, it wasn't a detriment to success for Staubach. It wasn't a detriment to success for Rodgers. And Romo sat on the bench for 2 full seasons. There is no football reason why someone can be successful after sitting on the bench for two years, but will probably fail if he sits on the bench for most of each season for three or four years. A QB doesn't deteriorate physically or mentally in his mid-twenties.
A few sort of like that examples do not disprove that something is a detriment. Other than Rodgers those guys were starters in year 3.
To say sitting in the bench for 3 years isn't a negative to the development of a QB is ridiculous. Equally as ridiculous as saying it can't be overcome which you seem to want to change my argument to for some reason.

As BB himself says the only way to get better at football is to play football.
Sure you can take some if the most exceptional players of all time and find that they overcame that.
You seem to want to conclude that because Jimmy g sat that makes him comparable to some if the greatest players of all time so therefore he will be great.
What about the 100s of QBs who sat, stagnated and didn't improve?
I k is a guy who won the lottery. Does that mean everyone who buys a ticket will or do we take into account the millions who didn't win?

In other words, the NEP have established a superior corporate culture and have several coaches in their ranks that seemingly embrace that culture. I agree it's likely that the NEP will continue to be a very good franchise post BB and TFB.

I hope that's the case but I'm not sure how assiduously I'll follow after they're gone. Reason being the league's culture of corruption, e.g. ex-Jets dominating the NFL front office plus owners willing to sabotage a superior franchise.

I wouldn't compare it to corporate structure I would compare it more to college programs like Alabama, my way or the highway. If you read War Room, which I'm pretty sure you have, it discusses how Belichick scrapped all of their scouting structure and started over with his structure, and I think he has extended that to every aspect of their franchise and created a program. Caserio, imo, is the key to continuity beyond Belichick, but should he leave I think Belichick has others in training to succeed him, and I think that's true of every aspect of the organization.

And with Jimmy's frame and tendency towards injury

He got injured once on a really hard hit and now that's a "tendency toward injury"? Oh come on.

I guess Brady has a "tendency toward injury" after missing 2/3 of an AFCCG and a whole season with leg injuries.

I would like to know who this source is because we typically don't leak stuff especially like this.

My guess is that we are playing shefter or he's using a souce who is a nobody.

ESPN is crap

He got injured once on a really hard hit and now that's a "tendency toward injury"? Oh come on.

I guess Brady has a "tendency toward injury" after missing 2/3 of an AFCCG and a whole season with leg injuries.
Well getting hurt without making it through 2 games is a little different than the durability Brady has exhibited for 17 years isn't it?

That's no different than claiming Brady's age is a factor when he has proven it isn't.

A few sort of like that examples do not disprove that something is a detriment. Other than Rodgers those guys were starters in year 3.
To say sitting in the bench for 3 years isn't a negative to the development of a QB is ridiculous. Equally as ridiculous as saying it can't be overcome which you seem to want to change my argument to for some reason.

A note on Staubach: he indeed became the regular Cowboys starter in year three in the NFL, but this was after serving a 4 year Navy commitment. He was basically sidelined for six years, 1965-1970, then was an NFL starter for 9 years.

I'm not disagreeing that a layoff like that is hard to overcome. Staubach was a rare talent.

I would like to know who this source is because we typically don't leak stuff especially like this.

My guess is that we are playing shefter or he's using a souce who is a nobody.

ESPN is crap

Schefter said it was a league source, not someone in the Patriots organization. What is puzzling is why he would give it such certainty if it didn't come from Belichick himself. Personally that's the only person I would give 100% credibility to, especially since it goes against Belichick's basic operating philosophy of always entertaining every possibility. One of the only times I ever saw Belichick dismiss something completely out of hand was when he laughed at Giardi for asking him if a QB change was a possibility after the KC game in 2014.

A note on Staubach: he indeed became the regular Cowboys starter in year three in the NFL, but this was after serving a 4 year Navy commitment. He was basically sidelined for six years, 1965-1970, then was an NFL starter for 9 years.

I'm not disagreeing that a layoff like that is hard to overcome. Staubach was a rare talent.
Agree

Well getting hurt without making it through 2 games is a little different than the durability Brady has exhibited for 17 years isn't it?

So what are you trying to say? That age doesn't matter and anyone can get hurt at anytime during a football game?

I'm confused at how many of our fans are haters too. Brady throws a pick six ... lets bench him. Blown out by KC in 14" ... he's done for. Don't make it to a Super Bowl... get him out of here. Wins us a Super with the greatest comeback in history... let's trade him so our backup can play because he's going to get hurt or fall of a cliff tomorrow.

He has given us sustained durablity and great play. If he goes a couple years of bad play I can understand some hatred from our fans but really, now!

So what are you trying to say? That age doesn't matter and anyone can get hurt at anytime during a football game?

I'm confused at how many of our fans are haters too. Brady throws a pick six ... lets bench him. Blown out by KC in 14" ... he's done for. Don't make it to a Super Bowl... get him out of here. Wins us a Super with the greatest comeback in history... let's trade him so our backup can play because he's going to get hurt or fall of a cliff tomorrow.

He has given us sustained durablity and great play. If he goes a couple years of bad play I can understand some hatred from our fans but really, now!
Huh?
I was responding to someone saying we should call Brady injury prone because he missed half of the 2001 afccg and 2008 when he blew out his knee.

Right on the money.

He could be, but he could also end up busting, there are too many factors to know for sure. What I'm disagreeing with is the contention that he's a lock to be a franchise QB and that moving on from Brady Asap is the move to make. And while I have made numerous remarks about him being brittle it's only as retort to those who keep chanting Brady's age as though it is any more relevant than Garrapolos injury. Brady could very well play another five years at a high level and Garrapolo could stay healthy most of his career, there's no way to know. What we do know is that the Patriots have the greatest QB in history, he's been getting better the last three seasons and he went 14-1 this season, and that he had led them to 2 Super Bowl Championships in the last three seasons and been the MVP of both. Meanwhile posters I respect are claiming that moving on from him in 2014, and handing the job to Garrapolo would have been the right move.

Seriously?

GTFOOH

I'm not sure what your reply has anything to do with my post. I think you missed my point.

My point is to for those who say Jimmy G will never be anything because he 's has been riding the pine will not be a very good QB or because he sucks as he didn't beat out Brady is trash as no one on the planet now or in the past would beat out Brady in a QB battle as he is still playing at a GoAT -like level.

I'm not sure what your reply has anything to do with my post. I think you missed my point.

My point is to for those who say Jimmy G will never be anything because he 's has been riding the pine will not be a very good QB or because he sucks as he didn't beat out Brady is trash as no one on the planet now or in the past would beat out Brady in a QB battle as he is still playing at a GoAT -like level.

I don't disagree with that at all, as I said what I disagree with is those who are saying he's a lock franchise WB and the Patriots should move on from Brady so they can test out their theory. And right now that mindset is rampant on this board.

I don't disagree with that at all, as I said what I disagree with is those who are saying he's a lock franchise WB and the Patriots should move on from Brady so they can test out their theory. And right now that mindset is rampant on this board.
Yea there does seem to be a bit too much confidence regarding Jimmy G being a franchise QB.

I think he's talented and a decent risk for a team to take compared to the current list of QB FA and draft prospects but by no means is he a can't miss All-Pro future SB MVP.

Huh?
I was responding to someone saying we should call Brady injury prone because he missed half of the 2001 afccg and 2008 when he blew out his knee.

No, I was being sarcastic to someone who says JG has a "tendency toward injury" because he got one injury when he was absolutely pasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick