SOURCE:WEEI

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Jets
Sun
Nov 25th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Undisputed
Tom Brady proved Sunday night that he's still the best after outplaying Aaron Rodgers during New England's win over the Packers.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Pats National Branding

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Actual Pats Fan, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Actual Pats Fan

Actual Pats Fan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,479
    https://nesn.com/2018/07/are-patrio...owherds-greatest-american-sports-brands-list/

:rolleyes:

“We didn’t care about the Steelers before Noll and Bradshaw, and we’re not gonna care an iota about them when they retire — nobody cared about the Steelers when Bobby Layne was the quarterback."

“We didn’t care about the Cowboys before Landry and Staubach, and we’re not gonna care an iota about them when they retire — nobody cared about the Cowboys when Eddie LeBaron was the quarterback."

“We didn’t care about the Packers before Lombardi and Starr, and we’re not gonna care an iota about them when they retire — nobody cared about the Packers when Tobin Rote was the quarterback."

“We didn’t care about the Yankees before Ruth and Gehrig, and we’re not gonna care an iota about them when they retire — nobody cared about the Yankees when Ray Caldwell was the ace of their pitching staff."

“We didn’t care about the Lakers before West and Baylor, and we’re not gonna care an iota about them when they retire — nobody cared about the Lakers when they were in Minneapolis."

Of course, for most of you reading this, I do not have to provide my opinion on team branding, but at the risk of being redundant, the single, suicidal move they made, unlike their fellow modern football dynasties, occurred on March 31, 1993.

2. goheels22002

goheels22002 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,351
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  3. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,823
    This list goes to show money isn't the only requirement for wins.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Actual Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +4,479
    Likable teams on that list:

...um, the Pats...if you ignore the owner...
    [​IMG]

5. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25,005
    How many fans do you speculate the team lost because it changed its logo?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. RelocatedPatFan

RelocatedPatFan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +5,532
    I'd say it definitely take more licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll lollipop than fans we lost due to logo change.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Actual Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +4,479
    It's not about lost fans; it's about merchandising profits and promotions.

I did not make up any of the endless complaints, all viewable online, from Patriots and neutral and even opponents' fans.

8. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,130
    Thread needs the new "UC" prefix in title..

9. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +25,005
    Why do you care whether Kraft makes more money on merchandising?

And why do you frame your argument as Kraft letting down the fans? How many fans care about how much his merchandizing profits are?

10. Crazy Patriot Guy

Crazy Patriot Guy 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1,930
    It's the internet. Find me the most universally loved thing that's ever existed in human history, and there will still be endless complaints online.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. MassPats38

MassPats38 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,519
    Maybe you are a little hazy on the history, but for the years prior to the change the Pats were 2-14, 6-10, 1-15 and 5-11. That brand was synonymous with the Patsies, and having attended quite a few games over those years I don't recall people in New England flocking to buy anything with the logo (unlike now, when I see Flying Elvis decals on cars in El Paso,TX). The team was a disaster, and you watched games hoping for a close game rather than a win. A failing brand doesn't sell much.

Nostalgia will only sell so much, and digging back to 1988 for a mediocre season does not inspire many to put money on a logo. Profits and promotions have actual revenue numbers. If you can come up with comparative figures that show Pat Patriot having any effect on the bottom line, I would love to see those numbers.

12. Bruins29

Bruins29 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,892
    He cant. He does this every month and will interject his hatred for the new logo in every thread he can equating it to the Natzis and claiming that the only pats teams that count are old logo ones..

13. borg

borg Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +5,860
    My 2 cents:
    The long ago era of Packers' NFL domination established their brand....a brand that lives strong today. Win or lose, we pay attention to the Packers. The same can be said of Dallas, Pittsburg, SF, and the NY Football Giants. People love to love them ...or hate them....but they are always inside our brain. Branding complete.
    Fast forward to this century....and the nearly two decades of Patriots domination.....two decades of branding.
    For 18 years, NE has been the conversation or part of the conversation....without any interruption. For the youngest football fans, the Patriots are all that they know. I live in Dolphin country and and you'd be surprised how many young Pats fans exist here. My teens bring home their friends and 75% of them claim the Pats are their #1 team despite their parents' Dolphins allegiance. The only non-believers have parents with New York ties and that gene is near impossible to alter. Kids admire winners, want to be associated with winners....and NE is all they know. Branding complete. Lifelong fans have been created and their future spawn will be indoctrinated into the system.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Pats Fanatic

Pats Fanatic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668
    I don't get the hate for either one. Yes they were really bad once. I remember when I first learned about the team, me and my father began watching a game in the early 70's and they were against the Jets. My father said that the Pats were our team they represented the area we live in. The team was awful but remember loving the helmet. They did have some really good teams for a few years but turned awful again. I understood the change and love the flying Elvis. They are both very unique and love wearing both.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steve:Section 102

Steve:Section 102 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +914
    Right? Where's my dead horse meme?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Actual Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +4,479
    Um, for anyone out there with a brain, to save you the trouble of clicking on the link, here is what it says:

The New England Patriots are one of the most — if not the most — dominant United States sports teams of the last two decades. And their incredible run unquestionably has increased the value and notoriety of the franchise’s brand. But are the Pats one of the most American sports brands? Colin Cowherd certainly believes so, although he expects New England’s nationwide relevance to drop off precipitously in the coming years. During the July 4 episode of “The Herd With Colin Cowherd,” the ever-opinionated host compiled a list of the “greatest American sports brands.” Cowherd never specified his criteria, but some of the factors tossed around were TV ratings, aura, popularity, merchandise and, of course, success.

So, what was Cowherd’s reasoning for placing the Patriots at No. 10? “I don’t think they’re gonna be on this list long … let’s be honest, Tom Brady retires — buh-bye,” he said. “We didn’t care about the Patriots before (Bill) Belichick and Brady, and we’re not gonna care an iota about them when they retire — nobody cared about the Patriots when Steve Grogan was the quarterback. … This is overwhelmingly driven by Belichick and Brady. But since they’re all there, and because they’re currently the most well-run organization in the most popular sport, I would put them at No. 10.”

The point of the thread is the notion that the Patriots will be nationally irrelevant in future years. Based upon the history of other modern NFL dynasties, Cowherd's assertion is absurd. The Packers and Cowboys have permanent national brand recognition based upon winning stretches that included exactly two Super Bowl victories, each. The Steelers, four in six seasons. They remained "important", "popular", "relevant", and "nationally recognized and respected" through decades-long stretches of non-winning and even occasional, utter futility.

His supposition is also dependent upon the Patriots not winning anymore. That remains to be seen.

However, taking into account modern-day zero length attention spans, plus the consistent, baseless denigration of the Patriots franchise since the Beatles broke up, his belief may indeed prove substantive in today's zero-memory culture.

But mostly, as always, the article exposes prejudice against the Patriots franchise. In all the major pro team sports, a franchise that wins only one (1) title remains in the spotlight and taken seriously for years afterward, even when there is no substantive basis for it. Cowherd's prediction sounds very much like a wish; a desire to bury the Patriots back into whatever obscurity they (media) put them in in their imaginations for generations.

Regarding Kraft, he deserves kudos for hiring Belichick.

If you think it's perfectly okay to let your team be fed to the sharks, twice, and remain beholden to the guy who did it, twice, because years ago he followed his boss' orders and kept you out of Hartford; and you have the capability to be oblivious to not only accepting, but really condoning, denigration presented as fact, good for you.

Made up nonsense that football played since the "makeover" "doesn't count"...and sheepishly following the media's - and league's, and opponents' - relentless screaming that the Patriots were a "disaster" during a four-year stretch (not eight, or twenty-four) which coincided with the retirements of all-time veterans, and the inevitable, colossal financial collapse in ownership that was decades in the making, while fans of the team the world over and the Boston media market didn't magically disappear...and trying to turn the thread into a made-up treatise about "lost fans"...

In my small suburban neighborhood, and at my job twenty minutes away, I know eight people who are Patriots fans, Republican and Democrat, one a woman, who all wear the old logo and openly dislike the replacement and, like me, bought merchandise during that infamous four-year stretch but never purchased anything with the replacement on it. Unless you want to include "Three Games to Glory", or a game ticket. I didn't share my opinion with them when I met them.

Sure, I agree, as they often do, Democrats look really stupid today, all of a sudden caring about kids and families just because it's being done illegally at the border, when they've been criminalized, destroyed and murdered within the country for generations under both parties' leadership.

That doesn't mean I don't care about the families-the ones today, and the ones for the last forty years-and, the ones in the future.

17. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +25,005
    The dynasties that remained relevant or returned to relevance I’d because they won again.

Packers didn’t win from when Lombardi left until Favre arrived and they were pretty much the lions in the 70s and 80s.

The Steelers have continued to win

Dallas went from Landry to 3 titles with a few years.

SF became irrelevant when they did t win for years until harbaugh came in.

The greatest show on turf was as irrelevant as can be for many years and are just now getting any notice.

18. Actual Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +4,479
    The 25-year stretch between titles for the Steelers looks a lot like...the Patriots of the 90's...

...Twelve non-playoff seasons, plus four one-and-dones, one lost Super Bowl

Twenty-two Cowboys seasons since their last title; Thirteen non-playoff seasons, plus six one-and-dones; three wild-card wins...and they're #1 on today's list!

19. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +25,005
    And the Steelers popularity waned during that run and rise up again when they won more.

Dallas is not as relevant as they used to be. Colin cowherd isn’t an authority.

The cowboys “popularity” at this point is just a curious interest in whether Jerry Jones will run it into the ground.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,007

Fixed it for you.......