PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats interested in Darius Philon, DT Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is what the man does....every...single...year.

Big difference between nice to have, upgrade, future need and walking the streets looking for your dealer.

During the draft, Bill is never looking for his dealer. :p
You would think after 19 seasons....:rolleyes:

Maybe the theory is, everyone knows that it’s a deep DL draft that everyone will overly focus on them, leaving the top players at other positions available (WR)? Or maybe he doesn’t think the DL depth is as good as everyone else? No idea, just spitballing.

Good point. We will see the contracts but DT market is certainly staying relatively low - and BB is all about economics.

It doesn't reflect his thoughts on Draft DL depth imo. Im sure he'll enjoy going around pro days watching/testing the historical DL quality & depth. Drafting one should be almost a given bc the depth will create nice opportunities there as well. Imagine getting Lawrence at #32 and a year ago some had him #1 overall..

Good point. We will see the contracts but DT market is certainly staying relatively low - and BB is all about economics.

It doesn't reflect his thoughts on Draft DL depth imo. Im sure he'll enjoy going around pro days watching/testing the historical DL quality & depth. Drafting one should be almost a given bc the depth will create nice opportunities there as well. Imagine getting Lawrence at #32 and a year ago some had him #1 overall..

I would like to go into the draft with Pennel, Philon, Guy and Butler, and to not need to draft a NT at 32.

Like to see one of the Iowa TE's drop a bit for BB to draft.......Pkg and move up from #32 ...

when you look at what the casuals say about typical BB signings it's mind boggling.
MIKE, WE NEED A DEEP THREAT!

Gawd.....

:)

We often do.

A deep threat hasn't been a huge part of this defense.

Please identify how important having an a deep threat has been to our offense in the past 10 seasons.

MIKE, WE NEED A DEEP THREAT!

Gawd.....

:)

We often do.

A deep threat hasn't been a huge part of this defense.

Please identify how important having an a deep threat has been to our offense in the past 10 seasons.
It was a joke.

Approximate 2018 snap counts:

Lawrence Guy 50%
Malcolm Brown 43%
Adam Butler 40%
Danny Shelton 30%

Jonathan Jones & Duron Harmon played more than snaps than any DT. 4 CBs played more than any DT not named Guy. Unless you’re a 3 down stud, the position has turned into a part time role. As a result, the market is real cheap for early down DTs. The best NT in football was traded for a 5th round pick last year.

Count me in the group that would be fine with two reasonable DT upgrades in FA & focusing draft resources elsewhere.

I would like to go into the draft with Pennel, Philon, Guy and Butler, and to not need to draft a NT at 32.

First of all Lawrence is not just NT despite the size. Second you'd be lucky to get him there.
Im sure there will be no need - bc there never is w BB and he wont panic about WRs either - but i wouldn't be surprised at all if he loads up quality DL in FA and then still trades up for elite DL prospect (not necessarily Lawrence) that is the true pillar of his D (VW or better) for the next 5 years on the cheap.. It is so rarely opportunity like this comes along drafting #32 all the time.. He never believed VW would fall and said they didn't even discuss it. When he started falling they jumped.

Last edited:
Philon
Butler
Guy
Pennel

would already be a great rotation before the draft. Hopefully we can get him.
Yes and yes.

I want to focus more on DE in the draft. Signing Philon could be a nice way to fill the need at DT.

I like this idea of signing under the radar DT’s. Reminds me of back in Bill’s early years when we picked up guys like Hamilton, Pleasant.

I think Allen Bailey or Bennie Logan could be more likely. They actually visited with the Pats yesterday. The Philon interest as of right now has only been "according to a source Pats are one of a handful of teams". Although that could have changed since it was reported and he could have been on a flight to Foxboro last night for a visit today.

That is what the man does....every...single...year.

Big difference between nice to have, upgrade, future need and walking the streets looking for your dealer.

During the draft, Bill is never looking for his dealer. :p
At the WR position, BB went to his dealer 26 times but his dealer kept giving him baggies full of oregano, stems, and seeds. BB got so desperate he bypassed his dealer and went directly to the junkie.
But your version of history is very entertaining

I think Allen Bailey or Bennie Logan could be more likely. They actually visited with the Pats yesterday. The Philon interest as of right now has only been "according to a source Pats are one of a handful of teams". Although that could have changed since it was reported and he could have been on a flight to Foxboro last night for a visit today.

Logan would be a very nice pick up in this situation if he tested well.. a bargain id guess

We must construct additional Philons!

...I'll show myself out.

At the WR position, BB went to his dealer 26 times but his dealer kept giving him baggies full of oregano, stems, and seeds. BB got so desperate he bypassed his dealer and went directly to the junkie.
But your version of history is very entertaining
No question last year he hit the dealer.

But during the draft he does not.

Pennel signed off Jets .... DT....Should be a wide body in middle at 330 lbs......take over Malcolm's old position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back