PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats interested in Darius Philon, DT Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to a source, the Patriots are one of a handful of teams to check in with free agent Darius Philon. The 25-year-old is one of the top defensive tackles available on the open market. Last season, Philon started 13 of 16 games and finished with four sacks to go with 33 tackles and a forced fumble.

At 6-foot-1, 300 pounds, Philon can help anchor the interior of a defensive line in the run game, but he's shown to also generate a solid pass rush as well. Philon has 8.5 sacks over the last two seasons.

He's Bielma's boy so seems to be good chance to get him..

Surprise in such a deep DL draft but 2 years of average DT play is probably enough for BB and he'll reload..

He's Bielma's boy so seems to be good chance to get him..

Surprise in such a deep DL draft but 2 years of average DT play is probably enough for BB and he'll reload..
Maybe the theory is, everyone knows that it’s a deep DL draft that everyone will overly focus on them, leaving the top players at other positions available (WR)? Or maybe he doesn’t think the DL depth is as good as everyone else? No idea, just spitballing.

Maybe the theory is, everyone knows that it’s a deep DL draft that everyone will overly focus on them, leaving the top players at other positions available (WR)? Or maybe he doesn’t think the DL depth is as good as everyone else? No idea, just spitballing.

He might be just interested in finding good value and adding good players to the team. Can still add a DT early through the draft.

Or maybe he’s addressing as many needs/holes before the Draft to create as much flexibility as possible.

I was thinking the same.
While others grab D line we finally hit on receivers draft say a Nasir Adderly
Take a QB I'm thinking Drew Lock Jarret Stidham or a late round addition Rypien,Thornton,Easton.
Would love a trade up for say a Brian Burns kind of edge rusher.
One thing I look at a positon that needs nothing is defensive back.
However I'm a huge believer of best player available.

Or maybe he’s addressing as many needs/holes before the Draft to create as much flexibility as possible.
That is what the man does....every...single...year.

Big difference between nice to have, upgrade, future need and walking the streets looking for your dealer.

During the draft, Bill is never looking for his dealer. :p

Adding Philon and Allen Bailey would be sick.

If your already set with solid DLinemen it allows you the opportunity to grab a Jeffrey simmons at the end of round 1.

Adding Philon and Allen Bailey would be sick.
I have a feeling Bailey might be a bit too pricey for them right now.

Best Value Available
If we could spend the amount of money that gets a Philion or Pennel to get a legit #2 receiver, we would.
One thing I look at a positon that needs nothing is defensive back.
I think we still need a Chung successor/backup. He goes out of the game for a few plays every game.

Best Value Available
If we could spend the amount of money that gets a Philion or Pennel to get a legit #2 receiver, we would.

I think we still need a Chung successor/backup. He goes out of the game for a few plays every game.
Agree any chance of bringing in Eric Berry in a reserve role to split snaps with Chung?
He may do it for the shot of a Superbowl?

I have a feeling Bailey might be a bit too pricey for them right now.

If they could offer what they offered Humphries and Tate, they have the flexibility to do it. Bailey could line up at end on early downs as well.

Count me in! If this happens i think the upgrade at dt + return of bwntley would all but offset flowers to bennett, meaning we have the same caliber d as last year and that is before the draft even occurs.

While I agree in principle, I think there’s a level of difference between filling your DT needs by signing Pennel and Philon, and filling your WR needs by signing Ellerton and Harris. The former two have a good shot of being starters this year. The latter two have decent odds of not making it through final cut downs.

In other words, they are currently addressing DT in free agency with higher quality players than they’ve addressed WR so far. Obviously it’s not for lack of trying if the stories on Humphries and others are true. It just is what it is.

If they could offer what they offered Humphries and Tate, they have the flexibility to do it. Bailey could line up at end on early downs as well.
What did the offer Tate? I missed that.

Agree any chance of bringing in Eric Berry in a reserve role to split snaps with Chung?
He may do it for the shot of a Superbowl?
Gawd if that happened Chiefs Planet would freak out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back