PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats get CB Aqib Talib from the Bucs !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't disagree with a word you wrote. I just don't look forward to a repeat of the "Moss is Evil, BB sold his soul!" stuff from 2007.

It's part of the deal though IMO. You can't trade for a player like that and not expect people to (rightfully) point out why it's a risk.

He'll be on a short leash, no question, but he'll have to keep his head down for a long long time before people don't talk about his misdemeanours.

So....

S McCourty
S Wilson/Chung/Gregory
CB Talib
CB Dennard
$.05 Arrington

or

S Chung
S Wilson/Gregory
CB Talib
CB McCourty
$.05 Arrington/Dennard

I like option 1, whatta bout you Deus?

So....

S McCourty
S Wilson/Chung/Gregory
CB Talib
CB Dennard
$.05 Arrington

or

S Chung
S Wilson/Gregory
CB Talib
CB McCourty
$.05 Arrington/Dennard

I'm liking Version 1 - I'd rather have two coverage safeties behind the LB's. Dennard's coming along nicely meanwhile.

On the face of it, this is an extremely positive move.

Last edited:
18 interceptions in 4 seasons as well as 53 passes defensed. He has got some good production to bring to this team.

Exciting. I need to look up his highlights on youtube

Ok, found something:

NFL Trade Deadline Passes as Buccaneers Trade Aqib Talib to New England Patriots - Stripe Hype

UPDATE
Adam Schefter just reported that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers traded cornerback Aqib Talib to New England Patriots. This will help improve one of the league’s worst pass-defenses that the Patriots have had for the past two seasons. In four games this season, Talib has 21 tackles, 7 PDs and 1 INT and ranks as Pro Football Focus’ 19-best CB out of 104 eligible players.
UPDATE
As expected, the NFL trading deadlines has passed with no deals being made. The only trade that has been done this week was the Detroit Lions acquiring Jaguars receiver Mike Thomas for a mid-round draft pick.
Adam Schefter is on NFL live reporting that there could still be paperwork for a deadline deal still being processed, but as 4:03 p.m., no deal has been announced, and there would be no NFL trades allowed until the 2013 league year begins in March.

and

Tampa Bay Buccaneers trade Aqib Talib to New England Patriots - Bucs Nation

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have traded cornerback Aqib Talib to the New England Patriots. Details of the trade have not been announced yet.
Talib first joined the Buccaneers as the 20th overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, having played his college football at Kansas. Over his career, Talib turned into the best cornerback on the Tampa Bay roster, notching 18 interceptions and 53 passes defensed in five years, but violent incidents and suspensions marred his stint with the Bucs.
...... Talib supposedly did everything asked of him over the offseason and had seemingly straightened out his life. Unfortunately, he had to serve a four-game suspension for Adderall use this season. Talib has one game left on that suspension.
.........this seems like a weird time to cut ties with the best cornerback on the roster.

sounds like the pats likely had to give up a #1 for this deal. but IMO would have to be a conditional #1.

At 6-1, 205 and only 26 - at least maybe we finally would have some height at cb. Anybody know did he usually play LCB or RCB or is he flexible? Could this be the indication that McC is now permanently a S?

Hopefully the veterans on this team can keep him in check.

sounds like the pats likely had to give up a #1 for this deal. but IMO would have to be a conditional #1.

I would hope not, even if it was conditional.

At 6-1, 205 and only 26 - at least maybe we finally would have some height at cb. Anybody know did he usually play LCB or RCB or is he flexible? Could this be the indication that McC is now permanently a S?

You're the one on drugs, bro
a 3rd at the very highest

Last edited:
So the starting secondary going forward should look something like this...

CB: Talib, Dennard, Arrington
S: McCourty, Gregory

I like it a lot better than what we've been seeing.

Good player. Horrible person. Hopefully, he doesn't turn into another Haynesworth. Never thrilled when the Pats add turds, but I will be cautiously optimistic. He is a big CB who has skills that can make him elite.

The most telling thing I picked up from this move is that Talib is (strictly) a press corner. Hightower is healthy. Self scouting coming off of the bye, safeties need deep ball relief...looks like they're lining up the pieces to bring it defensively.

What you all have given to TB?

with no new contract?

additional compensation with a 3 year extension?

That's a typo right? right?

Ok, found something:

NFL Trade Deadline Passes as Buccaneers Trade Aqib Talib to New England Patriots - Stripe Hype

and

Tampa Bay Buccaneers trade Aqib Talib to New England Patriots - Bucs Nation

No way it is a 1! He is only in contact for rest of season!

If he stays out of trouble, will hopefully work out well!

I'm getting a woody just thinking of all the possibilities.

besides the aderal, what did he do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand