PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats game in Miami Flexed to 4:25

The simple fact of the matter is the Cowboys are, year in and year out, one of the best draws in the NFL. When they have a crappy year, they're still good for a few prime time games. And when they are having a good year? Plan on seeing them just about every week.
To me it seems more like the playlist selection of corporate classic rock radio stations. They play a very limited number of songs over and over; listeners become familiar with the songs; listeners 'like' the songs because they are familiar with them. Rinse, lather repeat. Those stations could remove any five songs from their playlist, replace them with any five similar songs, and the results would be the same.

The Cowboys are one of the best draws because of the fact they are constantly on prime time tv. Is a Dallas-Washington or Dallas-NYG game going to draw more interest from neutral television markets than say KC-Green Bay, or Pats-Tampa? Doubtful.

The biggest television ratings are for games that have little or no other NFL competition; i.e., there are no other games to choose from. So of course it stands to reason those standalone games will generate big numbers. It is an apples to oranges comparison to equate how one team with 13 instances of being the only game on tv compares to the ratings of a team that is on in prime time only three times.

The Cowboys generate big ratings because they are on tv in a primary time slot so often, not because they are the Cowboys. Case in point: SNF ratings have slowly climbed all season long; they dropped to the lowest rating in four weeks when Dallas played Washington.

I believe fans with no rooting interest for either team (i.e., in a neutral market) will mostly want to see a game between the two best teams. Sure, there is less familiarity with the Rams, Cardinals, Colts or Bills, but won't more NFL fans enjoy watching a game between two of those team than yet another NFC East snooze-fest? Go ahead an put that Dallas-Wash game on in the four NFCE tv markets, and let the rest of the nation watch some decent football instead. Besides, isn't in the NFL's best interest to promote those other teams with a winning record?

Bottom line is that a game being the only one available in that time slot is what generates big ratings, much more than who is playing. The only exception would be the Super Bowl, when the percentage of viewers who don't watch the NFL week in and week out skyrockets. I should just accept the fact that nothing is going to change and that the Cowboys will have the largest share of the prime time tv market each and every year - but that doesn't mean they deserve it.

The Cowboys are one of the best draws because of the fact they are constantly on prime time tv. Is a Dallas-Washington or Dallas-NYG game going to draw more interest from neutral television markets than say KC-Green Bay, or Pats-Tampa? Doubtful.
Well, it is not entirely fair to compare a typical Cowboys game to what were this year's 2 biggest, most in-demand matchups (until Rodgers done went out and got the Covid that is).

Dallas-Washington or Dallas-NYG will draw more viewers than the vast majority of NFL matchups.

I believe fans with no rooting interest for either team (i.e., in a neutral market) will mostly want to see a game between the two best teams. Sure, there is less familiarity with the Rams, Cardinals, Colts or Bills, but won't more NFL fans enjoy watching a game between two of those team than yet another NFC East snooze-fest? Go ahead an put that Dallas-Wash game on in the four NFCE tv markets, and let the rest of the nation watch some decent football instead. Besides, isn't in the NFL's best interest to promote those other teams with a winning record?
The Patriots-Ravens game in 2007 was, IIRC, the most-watched cable broadcast ever.

That record lasted less than a year . . . and was broken by a Week 2 game between Philly and Dallas.

The Patriots-Ravens game in 2007 was, IIRC, the most-watched cable broadcast ever.

That record lasted less than a year . . . and was broken by a Week 2 game between Philly and Dallas.
"Cable Broadcast" is by definition a very limited sample size - just MNF (since 2006), TNF (since 2006) and SNF (1990-2005).

Total viewership goes up every year, so that record being broken is not a huge surprise. What would be a surprise would be if that 2008 game is still the most-watched cable broadcast ever. Where does it rank now? For that matter, where did it rank by the end of the season, or the end of the decade?

So much misinformation about FL winter weather. T storms at 3PM are a summer thing. Bigger factor will be no direct sunlight heating 2nd half. That helps Pats.
Wicked pissed that they also moved the Bucs game to 4 likely killing the slim chance of seeing the Pats here south of Tampa.
I misspoke earlier. It didn't dawn on me that the NFL would move some typical CBS (AFC) games to Fox and typical Fox (NFC) game to CBS. We've been hosed.

Bengals at Browns was moved to Fox, and Panthers at Bucs was moved to CBS.
CBS has made the Bucs game their primary late afternoon game.
The Pats game will likely only be on tv on two stations in south Florida, plus the usual CBS stations in New England.
And Brady/Gronk fans living in New England won't get to see the Bucs, either.

Per 506 Sports, the NFL Maps website:
Carolina @ Tampa Bay - Jim Nantz, Tony Romo
NY Jets @ Buffalo - Kevin Harlan, Trent Green
New England @ Miami - Spero Dedes, Jay Feely

Wicked Pissed!!!
Also...Yesterday tried to find Pats game replay on NFLN. Found lots of other games many repeated but no 50-10 Pats romp.

As of 9:10am the 506 sports site is still showing last weeks maps on it's homepage.

To me it seems more like the playlist selection of corporate classic rock radio stations. They play a very limited number of songs over and over; listeners become familiar with the songs; listeners 'like' the songs because they are familiar with them. Rinse, lather repeat. Those stations could remove any five songs from their playlist, replace them with any five similar songs, and the results would be the same.

The biggest television ratings are for games that have little or no other NFL competition; i.e., there are no other games to choose from. So of course it stands to reason those standalone games will generate big numbers. It is an apples to oranges comparison to equate how one team with 13 instances of being the only game on tv compares to the ratings of a team that is on in prime time only three times.

The Cowboys generate big ratings because they are on tv in a primary time slot so often, not because they are the Cowboys. Case in point: SNF ratings have slowly climbed all season long; they dropped to the lowest rating in four weeks when Dallas played Washington.

Bottom line is that a game being the only one available in that time slot is what generates big ratings, much more than who is playing. The only exception would be the Super Bowl, when the percentage of viewers who don't watch the NFL week in and week out skyrockets. I should just accept the fact that nothing is going to change and that the Cowboys will have the largest share of the prime time tv market each and every year - but that doesn't mean they deserve it.
Like it or not, the Cowboys created a defining brand unlike any sports team in America with the possible exception of the Yankees, a brand America gobbled up in the 60's and 70's....a brand that has been seared into the consciousness of generations of football fans.

America was beyond fascinated with all things Texas back then. A giant of a state, a 'boom" state with untapped potential because of oil discoveries, a mythical state because of cowboys, cattle, and giant ranches.....and a state with dominant football team full of big stars in including the poster boy/ Captain America QB, coached by a legend, playing in the dominant conference vs the biggest teams.
AFC games were appetizers, NFC games were main courses, Cowboy games were big steak dinners with all the fixins......including dancing girls.
The Cowboys stadium was fascinating (like a spaceship, at least to me)
The Cowgirls were a game changer and the TV cameras couldn't get enough of them.
Hollywood did their most to tap into America's fascination with Texas with big productions like "Dallas" which dominated TV ratings for years.
BIg D delivered the goods in a big way
"North Dallas Forty" wasn't an attempt to capture the essence of the Schaeffer Stadium Patriots.

And now......bigger than life owner, biggest stadium, greatest market value. Big D lives

From a network perspective, the Cowboys were (are) gold. Their haters will tune in hoping to see Big D suffer humiliation. During my "Tony Romo is a fraud" phase I rarely skipped a Cowboys game just to prove to myself I was right.

My memory is a bit fuzzy from that 70's era, but as a kid growing up in NE, I seem to remember as many Cowboy games on local TV as Pats games (probably because of the 'sell out' rules).
Hell, when I lived in Maine in the 80's, the Giants got preference over Pats games in the local TV market.
(And who were Howard Cosell's broadcast partners.....an ex Cowboy QB and an ex Giant RB)

I misspoke earlier. It didn't dawn on me that the NFL would move some typical CBS (AFC) games to Fox and typical Fox (NFC) game to CBS. We've been hosed.

Bengals at Browns was moved to Fox, and Panthers at Bucs was moved to CBS.
CBS has made the Bucs game their primary late afternoon game.
The Pats game will likely only be on tv on two stations in south Florida, plus the usual CBS stations in New England.
And Brady/Gronk fans living in New England won't get to see the Bucs, either.

Per 506 Sports, the NFL Maps website:
Carolina @ Tampa Bay - Jim Nantz, Tony Romo
NY Jets @ Buffalo - Kevin Harlan, Trent Green
New England @ Miami - Spero Dedes, Jay Feely
I am trying to remember if we hate Trent Green. I assume @captain stone does, but do the rest of us?

Last edited:
new 506 maps are up now: 506sports.com - Home

CBS late game, NE-Mia is green:

18-CBS-L.png

WICKED PISSED!!!
Massive Hose Job here in FL as Tamper Bay game gets switched to AFC's CBS thus nuking Pats-Mia which we woulda coulda shoulda gotten.

Crapola. Will have to listen to the game on Sirius.

WICKED PISSED!!!
Massive Hose Job here in FL as Tamper Bay game gets switched to AFC's CBS thus nuking Pats-Mia which we woulda coulda shoulda gotten.
I'll have my tablet with me in Kissimmee. I get YTTV, Boston feed, down there. I just don't know how to stream it to a large screen tv.

I'll have my tablet with me in Kissimmee. I get YTTV, Boston feed, down there. I just don't know how to stream it to a large screen tv.
Interesting. Didn't know that YTTV worked that way away from home. Were I a subscriber, I could stream my Mac, iPhone or iPad using my crap Apple TV 4 to my TV.

Now I wonder if the NFL will lat me "watch" on my iPhone like they sometimes do. I have no idea how they decide this.

Interesting. Didn't know that YTTV worked that way away from home. Were I a subscriber, I could stream my Mac, iPhone or iPad using my crap Apple TV 4 to my TV.

Now I wonder if the NFL will lat me "watch" on my iPhone like they sometimes do. I have no idea how they decide this.
A YTTV account is always connected by a mobile device. When you add a device, ie; Smart TV, it instructs you too log in on a mobile device and submit the code showing on the new device. I used my tablet to watch the night games when I worked. My duties allowed me to this.

YTTV offers a free one month subscription. Give it a try.

Update: in Kissimmee now and just opened my YTTV account. It asked if I relocated or am here temporarily. I indicated temporarily, and a pop up said my account was adjusted to the area. Tried to watch Boston tv news and was denied. Sorry there @PatsWickedPissah

Local barroom for the game It is!

I’ll be watching the game in Miami. Can’t wait for some Patriot payback!

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back