PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Favorites to Win Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlowGettingUp

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
From Mike Reiss:

Despite Tom Brady's pending four-game suspension, the New England Patriotsare once again the favorites to win Super Bowl LI, according to updated odds released by the Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook.

With the 2016 NFL draft officially in the books, the Westgate SuperBook has released updated Super Bowl odds, as well as lines on games of the year, divisional odds and season win totals.

The Patriots are favored at 6-1, while the Seattle Seahawks, Pittsburgh Steelersand Green Bay Packers are tied at 8-1. The Carolina Panthers, at 9-1, are the only other team with odds of better than 14-1.​

The earlier odds (before the draft) were a bit longer, so apparently the draft improved the bookies' view:

Odds posted for 2017 Super Bowl — Steelers, Pats, Seahawks co-favorites

Some other odds here:

Sports Betting News and Vegas Odds

Nice to see, but we go through this every single year and it generally hasn't produced the results we'd like.

How many times since say, 2005, have the NEP been favored to win the SB? I'm guessing about 75 percent of the time.

Still--it's much better than the opposite. At least they aren't 250 to 1 odds, like some teams. At the end of the day though, it doesn't mean a damn thing.

I'm officially concerned

f2X4DQ.gif

Nice to see, but we go through this every single year and it generally hasn't produced the results we'd like.

How many times since say, 2005, have the NEP been favored to win the SB? I'm guessing about 75 percent of the time.

Still--it's much better than the opposite. At least they aren't 250 to 1 odds, like some teams. At the end of the day though, it doesn't mean a damn thing.

To be clear, what you are saying is that it doesn't matter whether you have the best team, or close with a great schedule. All that matter is whether you WILL win. if that's true, we should all copy some poster and simply predict a 19-0 season and stop the speculation.
==========
The reality is that it does INDEED matter that we have the best team. Since fans tend to overvalue their team's chances, it does INDEED give us more hope if folks actually put their own money down on the patriots.

Well the Pats should be the favorite for this year. Look at the team's starters and key backups

Brady Garo
Gronk Bennett
Edelman Hogan Mitchell Amendola (if not cut for cap room)
Lewis White Blount(or Brown)
IOL - We will see but should be pretty good
OT - Solder Vollmer (3rd OT is the biggest issue on the team right now IMO).

Nink Sheard Long
Brown Knighton Branch Valentine(probably)
Collins Hightower McCellin
Butler Ryan Jones Coleman
McCourty Chung Harmon

Those are the guys who will be seeing 95% of the meaningful snaps. Very few weak spots.

RB and 3rd OT could be better but besides that I am confident everything else will be pretty good or very good.

Well the Pats should be the favorite for this year. Look at the team's starters and key backups

Brady Garo
Gronk Bennett
Edelman Hogan Mitchell Amendola (if not cut for cap room)
Lewis White Blount(or Brown)
IOL - We will see but should be pretty good
OT - Solder Vollmer (3rd OT is the biggest issue on the team right now IMO).

Nink Sheard Long
Brown Knighton Branch Valentine(probably)
Collins Hightower McCellin
Butler Ryan Jones Coleman
McCourty Chung Harmon

Those are the guys who will be seeing 95% of the meaningful snaps. Very few weak spots.

RB and 3rd OT could be better but besides that I am confident everything else will be pretty good or very good.

I agree with the two apparent weaknesses.

It isn't Brown or Blount. Brown is a 3rd down back, who is likely to get reps instead of White.
The open question is the name of the punishing backup to Blount. I don't see that player on the team. However, Belichick has often picked this kind of backup off the waiver wires in July or August.

At OT, I suggest that Scar strongly disagrees or we would have drafted another OT. I expect that he is fine with Cannon, Waddle and Thuney (emergency OT)

Been favorites since the day the Broncos won the SB

in any case looks like AFC title goes through Pittsburgh
just looked at their schedule and we most probably need to win there at least once
(to get home field or win title game @P)

nope

The patriots moved out of the favorite spot after the last court decision.

I don't think so. The only teams that traditionally stop the Pats are Denver, Baltimore and NYG.

None of those teams should be a threat likely and no one top teams seem to be in the same mold.

It isn't Brown or Blount. Brown is a 3rd down back, who is likely to get reps instead of White.
The open question is the name of the punishing backup to Blount. I don't see that player on the team. However, Belichick has often picked this kind of backup off the waiver wires in July or August.

I've never understood why they've never sprung for a dual-threat RB that doesn't loudly telegraph either run or pass on every down by their very presence. Someone that can both run between the tackles and catch the ball out of the backfield.

We might have the best zone blocking interior line we have ever had given the very athletic (albeit lighter) interior OL they can now deploy if they want. Need to take advantage of that somehow.

Bet the farm on the Browns. The 15,678,961,383,459th chimpanzee is putting the finishing touches on the Gettysburg Address.

image.jpeg

I got them at 9-1.

Good times.

Also I wonder what the Browns would need to do to get Leicester odds?

I got them at 9-1.

Good times.

Also I wonder what the Browns would need to do to get Leicester odds?

Take Wentz at #2 instead of trading down for a litany of busts. I can't believe they passed on a franchise QB, the position that moves the needle in the NFL. If Wentz turns into the guy for the Eagles, Philly wins that trade all day. This is why the Browns are the Browns. RG3 isn't going to change their fortunes.

The Browns are 200:1, far and away the longest odds.

Leicester City was 5,000:1

Wow.

I gotta tell ya, I am a casual English Premier League fan, and I have had a blast following the mythical Jamie Vardy's season.

Even if you don't appreciate soccer, it was just really fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes