Pats fans are number... two?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Study ranks Patriots fan base as second-best in NFL

Cowboys fans are supposedly #1... which is crap... but I'll give them credit... they focus like a laser...

cowboysanfa.0.gif

...on the Jumbotron. o_O

Considering where we have been historically, I have no problem with being #2.. ESPN and most media markets have been pushing the Cowboys as America's Team for quite a while now... what I do have issues is the feeling that Pats fans might be "bandwagon fans", the rise of the Patriots parallels with the rise of the NFL so there might be an interconnection. When a team wins 5 Superbowls in 16 years that has a lot to do with it..

Go back to the 80's and 90's when Pats Gear was scarce, however teams like the Cowboys, Green Bay, NYJ and other teams had readily available items in the "Sears Wish Book" or the JC Penney Catalog.. we have come a long way since then.

Not sure in the Emory Study if they can understand there have always been a lot of rabid Patriots fans.. it is difficult to quantify subjective issues..

First, Patriot fans may be bandwagon fans. But at this point it is tough to tell. The team has been excellent and the fans have been supportive for a long time. And even when things tend to go wrong for the Patriots they come out ahead. I believe that the deflate gate controversy had a significant positive impact on the Patriots’ social media following.

hell, I fully expected to be 3rd.

despite being 20 years into this run, the Pats are still the new kids on the block in terms of massive, rabid fandom.

IMO the ranking should be

1. Dallas
2. Green Bay
3. Pats

Study ranks Patriots fan base as second-best in NFL

Cowboys fans are supposedly #1... which is crap... but I'll give them credit... they focus like a laser...

cowboysanfa.0.gif

...on the Jumbotron. o_O
I dunno. The fans can only see Bryant's back and can't see the ball at all as it comes near his arms. Seems smart to me to watch the screen.

Part of the reason that owners are so focused on the "Fan Experience" at the game. Unless you're seated where you can see "all 22" and know enough about the game to "isolate" players and routes, it can be a lot better to watch the game on TV.

I dunno. The fans can only see Bryant's back and can't see the ball at all as it comes near his arms. Seems smart to me to watch the screen.

Part of the reason that owners are so focused on the "Fan Experience" at the game. Unless you're seated where you can see "all 22" and know enough about the game to "isolate" players and routes, it can be a lot better to watch the game on TV.

I actually prefer to sit way up high for just that reason.

I once watched a game from 105 row 6 (bought friend's season tix at face) and it was horrible. Sure, it was nice when the teams were within the 15 on that end, but I had to spend the vast majority of the game watching it on TV (Jumbotron). Would never do that again.

In all fairness, we have a winning team. It's kind of easy to be as rabid as we are. The Cowboys have been wheeling out trash onto the field for years and their delusional fans still act like the league revolves around them. Let them have it.

Lol, this has to be the best troll-job I've ever seen. Kudos to the NFL. How else could they call an entire fanbase poop?

I actually prefer to sit way up high for just that reason.

I once watched a game from 105 row 6 (bought friend's season tix at face) and it was horrible. Sure, it was nice when the teams were within the 15 on that end, but I had to spend the vast majority of the game watching it on TV (Jumbotron). Would never do that again.
The only reason I'd actually go to an NFL game would be for my kids to have a chance to "see" Brady, Belichick and the whole crew up close. So, I'd want to sit close to the bench (sixth row sounds about right) and sacrifice my view of the game for a chance to observe those guys up close for a few hours.

We'll see once Brady and Belichick leave. I hope I'm wrong, but it won't be pretty...

Lol, this has to be the best troll-job I've ever seen. Kudos to the NFL. How else could they call an entire fanbase poop?

No, they're saying we're assholes, and I'll buy that for a dollar. But Cowboys fans are ****s, so there's that.

Jerrah is a great businessman. **** as a GM but he puts asses in the seats. It takes a great sell-job to keep people coming when your last meaningful win was 20 years ago.

Last year was an abberation after multiple 8-8 seasons and early playoff exits. Last year's surprise will buy several more years of sell-outs and merch sales without having to deliver a Lombardi.

Hope the Cowpuke fans enjoyed 2016 because their secondary just left town and Zeke/Dak are staring at the sophomore slump.

Being a Dallas resident for many years, I would like to point out Cowboy fans are very much bandwagoners.

Patriot fans ranked #1 in "social equity" is interesting. It points to a willingness in fans to engage in, and join, social media communities. This could be a byproduct of over recent years attracting millennials and younger audiences.

On a side note, how does KC have the worst fan base despite Arrowhead being a notoriously hostile and loud stadium?

The ranking is a combo of "Fan Equity," "Social Equity" and "Road Equity."

The Pats come in #3 in "Fan Equity," which is defined by people coming to games and opening their wallets. However, #1 and #2 there are DAL and SF, each of which has built shiny new stadiums, so coming in third behind teams with those advantages ain't bad.

The Pats are #1 in "Social Equity>" I suspect that this Board can take a bit of the credit for that. Plus, players like Brady and Gronk have massive Social Media followings.

The Pats are #5 in "Road Equity." If I look at the teams ahead of the Pats, #1 is Dallas. Here, I'm guessing that there is a confirmation bias in that the Cowboys are often called "Americas Team." #2 is the Eagles, which had me scratching my head, until I reflected that Philly is about halfway between Washington and New York, homes of their Division Rivals, so it's relatively easy for their fans to get to two big Away games. #3 is the Raiders, so here again there might be a confirmation bias going on because of all the talk of "Raiders Nation." #4 is the Giants, who are also relatively close to Philly and Washington. But the big factor here might be the ease of travel from the NY area to anywhere in the country from three different Airports and the relative affluence of their fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes