PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats-Eagles stats/gameplan/matchup discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem was not the game plan but execution. Front 7 were sticking on blocks and everybody had problems w tackling. They had 1 missed tackle vs TEN all game, they had multiple on first two drives.

And I don't really see it as they “realized“ how to get Bortles in the 2nd half. I felt that was the plan all along (depending on the game situation of course). First take away Fournette and Bortles' legs and see what he can do w his arm . then go for his arm..

Contain is BBs melody . his patience with strikes is deadly.. (3 points allowed in 4 4th Q playoff comebacks would suggest they do realize all the time..)

I can not remember one time when a D end ran past Bortles. Its so maddening to me when I see players do that.

One hit on QB throwing hand by Long that was intercepted and went for TD,

Don't misunderstand, I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact I agree.

One thing on that interception though. It was a very poor decision on Keenum's part. I'm thinking that pass likely gets picked regardless. He had the running back breaking open in the flat and needing only one guy to beat for the first down. And it's hard to see where the safety is, but it looks like the slot receiver on the left was also open well beyond the first down marker. Keenum literally picked the most risky throw he could make when there were better options.

That said the Eagles D is for real the times I have seen them. I don't think they are as good as the Jaguars defense, but football isn't a zero sum game. We have seen teams explode on great defenses only to be shut down lesser defenses the following week, and vice versa. Then have the reverse happen against the very same team later in the season.

Apologies if someone already posted this, but it's pretty comprehensive:

1. Nick Foles is not a run threat like Mariota and Bortles. We rush and hit him a lot.
2. We make Ajayi and Blount run sideways. So probably more zone D.
3. Gilmore on AJ
4. Chung on Ertz
5. A gap blitz

Eagles feasted on turnovers this year, especially picks, mostly against sub-par QBs who couldn't keep the ball away from defenders making plays on the ball. They had 4 games in which they had zero picks and three or less PDs:

Chiefs: Lost 27-20.
Chargers: Won 26-24 (FF recovery).
Seahawks: Lost 24-10.
Rams: Won 43-35 (2 FF recoveries, 1 for TD).

Those teams not so coincidentally had the best QBs the Eagles faced. Seems like a good QB who can make accurate throws can move the ball and score on these guys. I think the Pats have a good QB, no?

Just don't fumble the ball and things should be good.

Regards,
Chris

usually best way to negate a good pass rush is short passes to the backs. The jaguars were all over Dion Lewis/White like i've never seen. Not sure if the linebackers for the eagles can do what Jax did though.

A run stuffing team with an average secondary... Having 3 versatile RBs seems like a good formula on paper

Remember Hogan?

I have the sense that Cooks, Gronk, and Amendola upped their game during the period that he was injured. And that he's working his way back into their company--and into his earlier self.

I wonder if the team would consider playing Dorsett over Hogan (he doesn’t look right) & make it a track meet in a dome?

Cooks
Dorsett
Amendola
Gronk
Lewis/White

That is a nasty dome offense.

Dorset and Cooks is a lot of speed - 4.25 and 4.33, respectively. :eek:

Eagles feasted on turnovers this year, especially picks, mostly against sub-par QBs who couldn't keep the ball away from defenders making plays on the ball. They had 4 games in which they had zero picks and three or less PDs:

Chiefs: Lost 27-20.
Chargers: Won 26-24 (FF recovery).
Seahawks: Lost 24-10.
Rams: Won 43-35 (2 FF recoveries, 1 for TD).

Those teams not so coincidentally had the best QBs the Eagles faced. Seems like a good QB who can make accurate throws can move the ball and score on these guys. I think the Pats have a good QB, no?

Just don't fumble the ball and things should be good.

Regards,
Chris

I am from Philly and have watched plenty of Eagles games. The Eagles were very good this year on both sides of the ball. Their offense outplayed their opposition in almost every game and their D dominated most teams. Even in the games they lost, like the Seattle and KC games, the O moved the ball at will and if not for some mistakes and turnovers, they would have won the game. This is a very good team with only one major question mark. Nick Foles. If Wentz was still playing, they would be the favorites and deservedly so. They have to make Foles drive the field and make play after play.

This is going to be a lot tougher of a game than people think. At this point, stats mean nothing. Eagles fans are saying the Pats rush defense stinks and the defense is trash - all based upon the stats. We all know those stats are not reflective of the current state of the Pats team. The same holds true of the Eagles. Forgot the stats. They mean nothing now and it will all come down to who brings it on Sunday.

As much as Pats drown out the noise and keep distractions to a minimum there is no denying that we are on a rollarcoaster ride right now.

Our place in history is a talk for another day. It’s time to regroup, refocus over the next week and a half.

Settle back in and stuff these birds

I am from Philly and have watched plenty of Eagles games. The Eagles were very good this year on both sides of the ball. Their offense outplayed their opposition in almost every game and their D dominated most teams. Even in the games they lost, like the Seattle and KC games, the O moved the ball at will and if not for some mistakes and turnovers, they would have won the game. This is a very good team with only one major question mark. Nick Foles. If Wentz was still playing, they would be the favorites and deservedly so. They have to make Foles drive the field and make play after play.

This is going to be a lot tougher of a game than people think. At this point, stats mean nothing. Eagles fans are saying the Pats rush defense stinks and the defense is trash - all based upon the stats. We all know those stats are not reflective of the current state of the Pats team. The same holds true of the Eagles. Forgot the stats. They mean nothing now and it will all come down to who brings it on Sunday.

Even if they had wentz i think we would be a fg favorite. I feel you can throw on their corners. You have to challenge them.

Watching the quick cut version of the NFCC game

Game was 14-7 Eagles, with Vikings in the redzone with 3:20 left in the half when Keenum got stripped.

Eagles then turn around and have that 50 yard TD. 21-7 with 1:11 left.

Eagles get the get the ball back with 30 seconds left and pick up 35 yards, then get another 10 yards and with 4 seconds left kick a FG.

24-7 at HT.

Game completely changed on the strip sack. Vikings weren't a team built to comeback They are a team that has to play from ahead and lean on the defense. Looking at their schedule all their wins are games where they had a lead in the 3rd or early 4th quarter and stayed ahead. Saints playoff game and a game against the Bears are games where they had a lead in the 4th and lost it but ended up winning and the Bears game was a 17-17 tie before they kicked a FG with 10 seconds left to win.

Although some credit to the Vikings D they did hold the Eagles to 14 points in the 2nd half while their offense did jacksh*t. So it could have been worse than it ended up being.

Thankfully, Foles is pretty much a stationary pocket passer. Now Matty P will have the liberty to dial up some exotic pressure packages & we’ll see the benefit of the pass rushers that we do have.

I don’t think Jacksonville took the foot off the gas either. When they were up 20-17 they were slinging the ball...most of those passes fell incomplete but they just didn’t run the ball to kill clock and punt it away. They tried to get first downs and prevent TB12 from getting the ball back. Case in point - the pass that Gilmore knocked away that probably saved the game for us.

They played pretty conservative at the end, running on the first 2 downs then throwing, plus just kneeling at halftime. They were really not that aggressive

How confident are you the pats can win?

Jax exploited our LBs in coverage. Even passes that fell incomplete where there to be had if the throw was better.

I think KC may have done the same thing in the first game of the season.

I would suspect Philly will do the same and exploit that weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back