PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats add QB Matt Corral

Definitely a higher ceiling than zappe, but id imagine zappe is the better candidate as qb2 right now. Are we going to just carry 3 qbs whenever zappe is called up or is there a way to send corral to ps?

I imagine if the Pats EVER tried to move Corral to the PS the Panthers would claim hin just for spite.

Some of his throws are in elite league. Mac better watch out, if he learns the playbook and Mac gives him an inch, he can seize the opportunity unlike Zappe. He has the arm to make those tight NFL throws that I am still not sure Mac can make with velocity and less rainbow like throws.

Yes but can he see the field, progress thru the check downs? Stidham has an elite arm too.

He was not on their 2023 PS so far.

Love the name of the dude they kept, Stantley Oliver-Thomas III. No wonder they kept that one alive, just keeps getting better.

What's not to like?

Great guy to bring in and kick the tires on.

Good size at 6'2" 215-220 pounds, whatever he weighs now.

He threw for accuracy in college and played in the SEC, the toughest division in college football.

He can also run the ball and make plays with his feet, led the SEC in rushing by a QB.

Tebow called him the best QB in Ole Miss history... screw you Eli.

Downside, had a season-ending lisfranc injury against the Pats his rookie year in 2022. He didn't play at a complex system in college... it doesn't mean he couldn't.

I imagine if the Pats EVER tried to move Corral to the PS the Panthers would claim hin just for spite.
Why would they cut him off their roster then claim him. If they wanted to do that they would have kept him.

After listening a bit of what Chris Sims had to say, (which IIRC was well before the draft and the combine) you have to wonder why the Panthers would simply give up on him after one season. Something here doesn't compute. On paper he seems like a perfect compliment to Bryce Young. They both come from basically the same offense and language. Both are RPO QB's. Both (according to Sims) are talented, decisive and smart. So what happened.

My fear is that Carolina is worried about Corral's chronic foot issues and cut bait. who knows the story on why he's out there.

Best Case Scenario- In about a month after Corral settles in he replaces Zappe as the #2 and BOB starts to develop the talent that Sims was raving about. Mac starts to excel like some of us expect and cements his place as starter. The Pats have a quality back up who is young and talented enough to keep him on his toes. Over the next 3 seasons, Corral gets a few starts and shows well and after his rookie contract is about to expire, he is traded for a 2nd day pick. OR becomes our #1 if Mac doesn't progress as we hope.

Worst case scenario - I have to listen to the "QB controversy" BS for the next 3 years.
Is his foot injury from last year still bothering him? If so, that puts a damper on the QB2 angle.

For anyone wondering why he's available, it's pretty simple.

He needs some more development and/or perhaps a different system. He got hurt as a rookie and was drafted by Matt Rhule's regime. Frank Reich came in this year, got the #1 overall pick and took his QB prospect at one. They plan on starting Bryce Young, a rookie QB, so they have Andy Dalton there to mentor him. Corral was simply a bad fit in Carolina.

It's odd scenarios like this that get very good QB prospects thrown your way on the waiver wire.

Last edited:
Is his foot injury from last year still bothering him? If so, that puts a damper on the QB2 angle.
I was only speculating on a POSSIBLE reason why the Panthers let him go. My first thought was maybe they thought the foot issues would be chronic since he had issues in college.

But I didn't know that Andy Dalton was brought in to be their #2 and the wise old vet to mentor Bryce Young. Now it just looks like they took a shot at no one grabbing him on the waiver wire since they cut him on Wed., AFTER a lot of teams filled needs. Meanwhile the Pats might have upgraded with a guy BOB knows well

Beat me to the exact same phrase:
Geez - didn't know half that classic monologue was ad-libbed...

...the director only interrupted Ermey in the middle of a take once to ask for the definition of the term “reach-around.”

I think he's a little taller than that - it's the T-Rex arms that need to Go Go Gadget.

Unfortunately it appears that Zappy's & Corral's hands, arm length & wingspan are basically the same:

Edited to correct my original post which was incorrect:

He was only waived yesterday, so Pats did claim him, but because he wasn't claimed from a PS they don't have to keep him on roster for at least three weeks.

Corral is actually pretty highly rated.

Feels like we just robbed the Panthers.

Corral is 6'2 but definitely has more athleticism than Mac Jones. If he is healthy this season then watch out, the minute Mac starts to stink it up the fans will be begging for Matt Corral to get some looks!

Here's a scouting report: Matt Corral, Ole Miss QB | NFL Draft Scouting Report

I'll highlight some of the strengths mentioned.

"the Ole Miss QB has undeniable arm talent. Look to the opening game of the 2021 season and his sideline pass to Dontario Drummond. His ability to zip the ball between two defenders with pinpoint accuracy to the sideline was hugely impressive.

This is one of Corral’s best facets. On short and intermediate throws, he has the ability to laser the ball into tight windows."
"Although he was the No. 4 pro-style quarterback in the 2018 recruiting class, Corral can make plays with his legs. The Ole Miss QB routinely uses athleticism to evade pressure in the pocket. His footwork is solid, enabling him to be agile in the pocket. Furthermore, once out of the pocket, he is elusive in the open field."

In summary Corrall is the complete opposite of Mac Jones, he's got arm talent to zip the ball between defenders, he can make plays with his legs, his athleticism helps him evade pocket pressure, and he is moblie and elusive in the open field.

Too bad Matt didn't have a full camp to compete or anything like that, but let the kid hold a clipboard and run plays on the scout team. He might make for a decent backup or a strong plan B if Mac Jones flops in his 3rd season.

Yes but can he see the field, progress thru the check downs? Stidham has an elite arm too.
I think those are the big differences boiled down simply. Corral has a very nice arm and more athleticism. Mac reads the field better. We’ll see how things unfold. No reason to think Corral can or will supplant Mac but the tools are there to be a backup who can win you games.

I was AFC East team I would grab Zappe. For a few weeks you could maneuver your roster.
Jones get hurt, or plays poorly, Pats will be with a Back-up with Zero Starting NFL experience.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back