PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats add QB Matt Corral

They saw Cam in the games too.
Yes they did and seems they either thought he was a better option than Stidham or they saw enough of Stid in practice and he wasn’t long for this team anyway. It’s not like they ignored him and kept him on the bench so fans couldn’t get a look at him as a starter.

I disagree. I don't think that Corral is yet ready to depend on as our #2 QB. However, I do think that Belichick believes that he is our #2 in a couple of weeks.

Yes, obviously, Belichick could find that Corral is not worth keeping, and then cut him.

Corral was a top pick in the draft. He was worth a 3rd and 4th pick. We ended up with Zappe (a significant downgrade), Mapu, AND now we have Corral back!!

Maybe Belichick is playing chess again.
Don’t know what you disagree with. Zappe, Corral, they’re both good young talents, you need to learn what they have by getting them in the building and working with them. We’ll see who is practicing better if/when Mac goes down with injury.

I get it, we’ve had Zappe for a while… Corral is the shiny new toy so he’s supposedly “better.” We’ll see.

Don’t know what you disagree with. Zappe, Corral, they’re both good young talents, you need to learn what they have by getting them in the building and working with them. We’ll see who is practicing better if/when Mac goes down with injury.

I get it, we’ve had Zappe for a while… Corral is the shiny new toy so he’s supposedly “better.” We’ll see.
Let's see.

We know what Zappe can do.

He did SO WELL that the patriots allowed any other team to pick him up as their 2nd or 3rd QB. That is a very strong opinion by management. After all, at any time, even now, the team could easily create a roster spot for Zappe. 11 OL's, Speed, Bryant and Wade are ALL more valuable to the team than Zappe.

Corral was an easy draft choice where we picked. Someone gave us a lesser pick plus a 3rd to make a different choice. Now we are back to where we were, seeing if Corral has a future with us. It cost a year of having him on the roster, but Mapu was certainly solid compensation for wating.

If ANY team wants the failed Zappe as their #3. the patriots will shrug their collective shoulders. They have moved on. HOWEVER, with 16 PS spots, Zappe is fine as being worth one of them as injury insurance.

Let's see.

We know what Zappe can do.

He did SO WELL that the patriots allowed any other team to pick him up as their 2nd or 3rd QB. That is a very strong opinion by management. After all, at any time, even now, the team could easily create a roster spot for Zappe. 11 OL's, Speed, Bryant and Wade are ALL more valuable to the team than Zappe.

Corral was an easy draft choice where we picked. Someone gave us a lesser pick plus a 3rd to make a different choice. Now we are back to where we were, seeing if Corral has a future with us. It cost a year of having him on the roster, but Mapu was certainly solid compensation for wating.

If ANY team wants the failed Zappe as their #3. the patriots will shrug their collective shoulders. They have moved on. HOWEVER, with 16 PS spots, Zappe is fine as being worth one of them as injury insurance.
The NFL just changed their practice squad rules because BB was hoarding all the good young QB prospects.

The Pats traded Brissett and Stidham for a pair of socks, they cut Danny Etling and said goodbye. If they “moved on from Zappe” he’d have gotten cut and not brought back.

The practice squad is an extension of the roster, Danny Amendola, Arian Foster, Brandon Marshall, Jason Peters and Kurt Warner were all practice squad players at one point... there’s a process and it’s not always linear.

The NFL just changed their practice squad rules because BB was hoarding all the good young QB prospects.

The Pats traded Brissett and Stidham for a pair of socks, they cut Danny Etling and said goodbye. If they “moved on from Zappe” he’d have gotten cut and not brought back.

The practice squad is an extension of the roster, Danny Amendola, Arian Foster, Brandon Marshall, Jason Peters and Kurt Warner were all practice squad players at one point... there’s a process and it’s not always linear.
As of today, Zappe is worth a PS spot. Mac could get injured, and AS OF NOW, they would prefer to have the option as Zappe as a backup in case of another injury.

OK, I accept that Zappe is preferred over any other as the patriots #4 QB. They would rather not have to deal with another #4 at the moment.

So, OK, the team has NOT moved on.

As of today, Zappe is worth a PS spot. Mac could get injured, and AS OF NOW, they would prefer to have the option as Zappe as a backup in case of another injury.

OK, I accept that Zappe is preferred over any other as the patriots #4 QB. They would rather not have to deal with another #4 at the moment.

So, OK, the team has NOT moved on.
Let's see who is the backup on game day , the NFL just changed the rules to screw the Pats... now they have to scramble to maneuver within the rules.

We saw Stidham play.
In his year with New England, Cam had 8 TDs, 10 interceptions, a completion rate of 65.8, and a quarterback rating of 56.3. Last year with the Raiders, Stidham had 4 TDs, 3 interceptions, a completion rate of 63.9, and a quarterback rating of 89.2. Cam played much more and had four times the number of passing attempts, but Stidham's numbers in Las Vegas again raise the question of why he was not allowed to play in the last two meaningless games of the 2020 season. Stidham did not play in 2021, so the Raiders numbers are a reasonable proxy for his level of ability in his last season with the Pats.

In his year with New England, Cam had 8 TDs, 10 interceptions, a completion rate of 65.8, and a quarterback rating of 56.3. Last year with the Raiders, Stidham had 4 TDs, 3 interceptions, a completion rate of 63.9, and a quarterback rating of 89.2. Cam played much more and had four times the number of passing attempts, but Stidham's numbers in Las Vegas again raise the question of why he was not allowed to play in the last two meaningless games of the 2020 season. Stidham did not play in 2021, so the Raiders numbers are a reasonable proxy for his level of ability in his last season with the Pats.
Last year was two years removed from 2020. Do I think Stidham is irredeemable or can’t improve? No.

But Stidham sucked in 2020, he was slightly but not substantially better in 2022. In 2020 he danced in the pocket like his feet were on fire. He played scared.

Geno Smith finally put it together a decade after he entered the league. QB’s have a long shelf life if they have the tools, but it’s a cerebral position. Stidham now isn’t Stidham in 2020.

Last year was two years removed from 2020. Do I think Stidham is irredeemable or can’t improve? No.

But Stidham sucked in 2020, he was slightly but not substantially better in 2022. In 2020 he danced in the pocket like his feet were on fire. He played scared.

Geno Smith finally put it together a decade after he entered the league. QB’s have a long shelf life if they have the tools, but it’s a cerebral position. Stidham now isn’t Stidham in 2020.
What Stidham looked like in 2020 is completely irrelevant today. After he was traded to raiders, McDaniels worked with him in TC, gave him tons of live action in preseason and he wound up playing several games when Carr was injured. He has come along way. He is extremely accurate, throws a great deep ball, has great pocket presence and is reasonably mobile. As of 2023 he is very good and in my opinion better than over the hill Wilson.

What bothered me about the evaluations of Stidham from this site was that they were based on very little playing time, on his being inserted late into a game that was already over. I remember one game in the championship era when Matt Cassell replaced Brady during a Patriots blowout of Miami. In his second or third call from scrimmage, Cassell threw a pick six to Jason Taylor. Out he goes, in comes Brady. Yet Cassell had a reasonable career as a sometime starter and decent backup quarterback. Stidham was never given the chance to practice with the first team in preparation for a Sunday game and then to play the whole game. Maybe he would have played as poorly as he did in his short stints, but we will never know because Belichick thought it more important to play Cam in a meaningless Jets game.

Yes they did and seems they either thought he was a better option than Stidham or they saw enough of Stid in practice and he wasn’t long for this team anyway. It’s not like they ignored him and kept him on the bench so fans couldn’t get a look at him as a starter.
Or Bill recognized the season as a bridge year and was simply doing Cam a solid. Cam was awful. I’d wager most coaches would have tried to make the switch but Bill was secure and our team wasn’t going to win anything anyhow.

We saw Stidham play.

Barely... We saw the Scamster play a lot though; he was ass post-covid.

Bill should've pulled the plug on him - and the season - after Cant fumbled-away the loss in Barfalo two days before the trade deadline... Bill at that point should've heeded Randolf Duke's advice...

Last edited:
Yes they did and seems they either thought he was a better option than Stidham or they saw enough of Stid in practice and he wasn’t long for this team anyway.
Neither was Scam, so...?

It’s not like they ignored him and kept him on the bench so fans couldn’t get a look at him as a starter.

I wouldn't put Anything past Bill.

Barely... Saw the Scamster play a lot though; he was ass post-covid.

Bill should've pulled the plug on him - and the season - after Cant fumbled-away the loss in Barfalo two days before the trade deadline... Bill at that point should've heeded Randolf Duke's advice...
I will go to my grave believing BB signed Cam to attract free agent WR’s and played him for a mini tank to 15 where we got Mac.

I will go to my grave believing BB signed Cam to attract free agent WR’s and played him for a mini tank to 15 where we got Mac.

If Bill had been a Seller at the deadline - as he should've been - our tank might been deep enough to land Justin Fields without even a trade-up...

If Bill had been a Seller at the deadline - as he should've been - our tank might been deep enough to land Justin Fields without even a trade-up...
I’m going to believe Mac was the best QB in the draft other then Lawrence. It was Fat Matt that messed him up. Let’s see how this season goes.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back