PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Patriots waive Wilkerson, Hayes, Nordin, Ray

Dang, they’re cleaning house. I wonder if they had postseason physicals this week or something. We know 3 of those 4 were hurt.

Dang, they’re cleaning house. I wonder if they had postseason physicals this week or something. We know 3 of those 4 were hurt.
I don't know why this is the case, but if a Pats UDFA ends up on season-ending IR, they almost always get cut before the next TC.

I don't know why this is the case, but if a Pats UDFA ends up on season-ending IR, they almost always get cut before the next TC.

An UDFA becomes a FA quicker, so if you're working with a player who wasn't drafted in the first place, why not take the extra year with a new one?

I think we have Mitchell and Roberts as 2nd year returning DL players and maybe they beat out Ray. Can not keep everyone.

I think we have Mitchell and Roberts as 2nd year returning DL players and maybe they beat out Ray. Can not keep everyone.

But they had just signed Ray to a futures deal. Why sign him and Hayes to Future's deals if you're just going to cut them 6 weeks later..

I think something happened.. But we'll never actually know what that it was unless one of the 2 speaks out.

But they had just signed Ray to a futures deal. Why sign him and Hayes to Future's deals if you're just going to cut them 6 weeks later..

I think something happened.. But we'll never actually know what that it was unless one of the 2 speaks out.
Agreed. Never really know.

In March, futures contracts starts to count against this year’s cap, so it’s a way to save a bit of cap money before FA.

In March, futures contracts starts to count against this year’s cap, so it’s a way to save a bit of cap money before FA.

Thank you for stating the obvious. However, that doesn't explain why the Patriots had just signed Hayes and Ray to their Future's Contracts only to cut them 6 weeks later.

The reasoning behinds Nordin and Wilkerson was because the Pats save paperwork with them being ERFAs going into the 2023 season. And it's very possible that they didn't pass their exit physicals.

Thank you for stating the obvious. However, that doesn't explain why the Patriots had just signed Hayes and Ray to their Future's Contracts only to cut them 6 weeks later.

The reasoning behinds Nordin and Wilkerson was because the Pats save paperwork with them being ERFAs going into the 2023 season. And it's very possible that they didn't pass their exit physicals.

Maybe they wanted to save $1.5m or so because they have now identified a free agent they want to sign that they hadn’t identified as available before and they now need the extra cap space. It’s the simplest explanation.

Exactly...

lot of these early releases seem to be players who couldn't stay healthy... Guess the Pats don't want these guys rehabbing on their dime... clears some cap space at the same time... Maybe to cover Slaters new contract?

Had high hopes Ray would be able to turn the corner and provide decent rotational depth... Just couldn't stay healthy, the same thing that plagued him at Alabama... Hoping he fully heals, and is brought back to camp to continue to build on the preseason successes he had in 2022...

Exactly...

lot of these early releases seem to be players who couldn't stay healthy... Guess the Pats don't want these guys rehabbing on their dime... clears some cap space at the same time... Maybe to cover Slaters new contract?

Had high hopes Ray would be able to turn the corner and provide decent rotational depth... Just couldn't stay healthy, the same thing that plagued him at Alabama... Hoping he fully heals, and is brought back to camp to continue to build on the preseason successes he had in 2022...

I think that has to be the case with most of these...can't stay healthy. However it is only February. IDK.

Tre Nixon is still here. Wilkerson and Lil Jordan Humphrey are not. Where is the Nixon love? 3rd year. He was better in Y2 training camp. Maybe this is his breakout year.

Tre Nixon is still here. Wilkerson and Lil Jordan Humphrey are not. Where is the Nixon love? 3rd year. He was better in Y2 training camp. Maybe this is his breakout year.
He has great potential because he is still on 90-man squad, along with Webb?

I suspect that Belichick has found role for him, on the Practice Squad at little cost.

I think the Pats will draft/sign Turk the Oklahoma punter and nephew of former long time NFL punters.

I think the Michigan PK made himself some money in that Shriner's game. Draft him in the 5th/6th, sign Turk as a UDFA and Bob's your uncle!
They’re definitely taking the kicker who was the MVP of the East-West game. The question is how high will Bill take him and how pissed off people will be for taking a kicker so high.

I liked Wilkerson more Nixon better have a world beater off season and TC because he ain't getting a spot looking average.

Have to assume they are drafting a kicker around Round 5. I am expecting a punter too - good year for a punter

I think the Pats will draft/sign Turk the Oklahoma punter and nephew of former long time NFL punters.

I think the Michigan PK made himself some money in that Shriner's game. Draft him in the 5th/6th, sign Turk as a UDFA and Bob's your uncle!

Definitely seems like they’ll draft both. Bailey has his weird suspension situation, Folk is a free agent and they have waived Vizcaino and Nordin so they have no punters or kickers.

Sign them as UDFAs, and Stop wasting draft picks on them.

They’re definitely taking the kicker who was the MVP of the East-West game. The question is how high will Bill take him and how pissed off people will be for taking a kicker so high.

I already know I'll be pissed-off if Billy uses ANY draft pick on a Special Olympics teamer.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back