PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots vs. Falcons - Who Has The Edge and Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CISGS

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Offense

Quarterback

The Falcons may have the MVP of this year, but they lack experience in this type of situation. Matt Ryan has made one Super Bowl, Tom Brady has made 7. Brady knows how to win the Super Bowl (4) and knows what losing the SB does to you mentally. He has a significant edge over Matt Ryan entering the game.

Advantage - Patriots

Running Backs

LeGarrette Blount led the NFL in Rushing Touchdowns despite not making the Pro Bowl. Pairing the power of Blount, the speed of Dion Lewis and the blocking pickups from James White makes for a very formiddable attack from multiple areas. The Falcons are no slouch at the RB position either, with Tevin Coleman provding receiving and power, and Devontae Freeman bringing more speed and change-of-pace.

Advantage - Push

Receiving Threats

This one is very simple. Atlanta has Julio Jones (the best WR in the league), Mohamed Sanu and Taylor Gabriel. This trio of receivers will give the Patriots' all they can handle and will be a massive focus for the Defense. Chris Hogan took the top off of the Steelers' in the AFC Championship and Edelman is always consistent and shows up in big games. Malcolm Mitchell had a big drop and looked a little rusty coming off of injury (not to mention he is a rookie) and Amendola has been banged up all year. All of this compounded with a broken bone in Martellus' foot and no Gronk, the edge clearly goes to Atlanta.

Advantage - CLEARLY Falcons

Offensive Line

Dante Scarneccia.

Advantage - Patriots

Defense

Defensive Line

Neither team possesses a killer defensive line. The Falcons have a very old Dwight Freeny and limited talent. They did however put significant pressure on Aaron Rodgers this last week. The Patriots' don't have an All-Pro defensive line either, putting limited pressure on Big Ben with zero sacks.

Advantage - Push

Linebackers

Vic Beasley is having an incredible season, totalling 15.5 sacks, Deion Jones has been solid and De'Vondre Campbell has been up and down like most rookies. Dont'a Hightower has had a solid season with 65 tackles and FF, Elandon Roberts has been a surprise and the sum of Van Noy and McClellin has been okay.

Advantage - Slightly Falcons

Corners/Safeties

Malcolm Butler has emerged as an elite cornerback in the NFL. He is elite. Period. Logan Ryan has played solid this season as well (despite the hate he receives). New England is #1 in the NFL in Points Allowed and Atlanta is #27. Atlanta is capable of creating turnovers and that should be watched going into the game, but NE clearly has an advantage.

Advantage - Clearly Patriots

Overall

Both teams are explosive offensively. I think Atlanta is more explosive, but their lack of a defense will be the determinant of the game. I have a hard time seeing Atlanta stopping Brady, and believe New England can stop a very talented, albeit inexperienced team that is one-sided.

Patriots - 41
Falcons - 27

Last edited:
Ooooh, I don't think we have the advantage at RB. They have a two headed monster of backs who can both run and both catch. I know Blount has had a great year, but he still cannot do much in the first halves of games. His strengths are getting two yards at the goal line and running over tired defenses in the 2nd half. Lewis couldn't get anything going yesterday, although he was great in the Texans game. White didn't do much in either game, except for his TD against the Texans (admittedly a big play). I would make that category a push, or slight advantage Atlanta.

I think our biggest strengths going into this game are that we can match the Falcon's O with our O, and our D and coaching are going to be better than theirs. I hope it's enough to get us One More.

Advantage at running back and offensive line? No

I think the OL is a push overall.

If you take Blount, White and Lewis together I'd say that RBs are not that far apart. Might be another push.

I think the OL is a push overall.

If you take Blount, White and Lewis together I'd say that RBs are not that far apart. Might be another push.

I think there running backs are more dynamic. They are both very good running and catching. Our guys are good, I just think theirs are a little better. Both OLines pass protect pretty well. But they have a better running game than we do and that starts with their Oline. Their line was bad for 3 straight years, now it's good again and their offense exploded, that's the difference with Atlanta this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes