Patriots UDFA Class Has Some Intriguing Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots UDFA Class Has Some Intriguing Prospects

Steve Balestrieri

With the 2016 NFL Draft over the Patriots have brought in their UDFA class, and always seem to have at least one player that will make the 53-man roster.

Continue reading...

Lots of undersized DBs in there, looks like the Patriots are trying to address their crappy ST from last year and really lock into a starting group of CBs and depth.

Lots of undersized DBs in there, looks like the Patriots are trying to address their crappy ST from last year and really lock into a starting group of CBs and depth.

Think Jones makes it. He was pretty solid at Auburn, although he's fairly redundant with Cyrus Jones. Honestly, I thought they would both go in the 3rd.

I like the fact that they've brought in a number of CBs; that position always seems to be a spot that the team is searching to fill out the depth in. Don't know if these guys have what it takes, but it's good to have options.

I also like that they've drafted and signed a number of guys who might excel on STs.

I always enjoy watching the UDFAs go through training camp and see who has a chance of sticking on the 53 or PS.

I had both DJ Foster and Jonathan Jones on my draft board. I think Jones has a good shot to make the roster and Foster I would love to carry on the PS. When i saw his film i thought "Lewis 2.0".

I had both DJ Foster and Jonathan Jones on my draft board. I think Jones has a good shot to make the roster and Foster I would love to carry on the PS. When i saw his film i thought "Lewis 2.0".

I actually think that Foster has a better chance than Jones.

I actually think that Foster has a better chance than Jones.

I think he would if not for Lewis already being on the roster and White filled in pretty well last year. They already have 2 proven 3rd down RB with one being arguably the best in the NFL.

I think he would if not for Lewis already being on the roster and White filled in pretty well last year. They already have 2 proven 3rd down RB with one being arguably the best in the NFL.

The primary issue is the health of Lewis. If he is at 100%, then White, Brown and Foster compete for the backup spot. Besides, Lewis could start the season on the PUP list.

Last edited:
and White filled in pretty well last year.

If Foster can prove to the coaching staff he is a solid runner at this level think White could get cut. White filled in nice as a receiver but as a runner he showed no threat. The 3rd down/satellite back in this offense has to be a solid runner.

Faulk, Woodhead, Vereen were and Lewis is.

Also IMO if Bill was happy with White being Lewis' bacup don't think Donald Brown would have been signed.

I'm continually confused as to why the Pats seem to value such small CBs, whereas the Seahawks don't seem to take anyone under 6' ft. I understand the Pats place a high value on the 3 cone drill and lateral quickness, but our CB group could look like smurfs this year more so than ever. Just an observation.

Add another. East Carolina TE Bryce Williams

Could anyone tell me why we didn't pounce on Glenn Gronkowski?

Maybe with Develin its just not a position of need?

Add another. East Carolina TE Bryce Williams

Kind of odd/spooky, but this is the 2nd player on the roster (alongside Chris Harper) who share names with recent high profile shooters.

Anyway, here's a highlight video for anyone who doesn't want to sift through a bunch of videos/stories on a crazed gunman when you try to search his name:

In two places i've seen Jay Jones' 40 time a 4.32 and 4.29 and is sticky in coverage.

Bad tackler and size are the biggest knocks vs him.

Because he's just not that good. He has no true position and certainly doesn't have anywhere near the measurables that Rob has.

Its kinda like the movie Twins with Ahhnold and Danny DeVito.

One brother got the purity and strength of the Greek Gods.

The other got the crap left over.

With that said to be even drafted puts him at .0000001 of the US population.

I'm continually confused as to why the Pats seem to value such small CBs, whereas the Seahawks don't seem to take anyone under 6' ft. I understand the Pats place a high value on the 3 cone drill and lateral quickness, but our CB group could look like smurfs this year more so than ever. Just an observation.
It is frustrating.

With that with the exception of Sherman SEA is not killing it at CB either

It is frustrating.

With that with the exception of Sherman SEA is not killing it at CB either

True, but they also had Byron Maxwell the before he left for Philly (and got burned in a poor system), and they've still got Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas in the backend. So they're still doing pretty ok for themselves, regardless of who their current CB2 is. ;-)

True, but they also had Byron Maxwell the before he left for Philly (and got burned in a poor system), and they've still got Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas in the backend. So they're still doing pretty ok for themselves, regardless of who their current CB2 is. ;-)

I think the bolded part is key, and the reason Maxwell was so bad in Philly and will be bad in Miami. He wasn't a good player because of Seattle's system, he just looked good because of Seattle's system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes