PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp - 8/27

You joke, but there was a time when I could absorb all of this stuff seemingly indefinitely. It's why I've had to write off all fantasy sports aside from Football. Having to manage a team daily eventually just leads to hoping I lose so I can be done with it. I think a fantasy baseball season would kill me at this point.
I had fantasy football, baseball, hockey, and NASCAR at one point. I drew the line after golf and stopped. I am out on all of it now.

Here is my attempt. For my 53rd spot I had to choose between Williams/King/Jennings ......right or wrong I picked Jennings

QB (3) C.Newton, B.Hoyer, M.Jones
RB (6) D.Harris, J.White, R.Stevenson, B.Bolden, J.Johnson, J.Taylor
WR (6) N.Agholor, J.Meyers, K.Wilkerson, M.Slater, G.Olszewski, K.Bourne
TE (3) J.Smith, H.Henry, D.Asiasi
C (2) D.Andrews, T.Karras
G (2) S.Mason, M.Onwenu
T (4) I.Wynn, Y.Cajuste, J.Herron, T.Brown
DE (2) D.Wise, H.Anderson
DT (4) L.Guy, D.Godchaux, C.Davis, C.Barmore
ILB(2) D.Hightower, J.Bentley
OLB(6) M.Judon, J.Uche, C.Winovich, R.Perkins, A.Jennings, K.VanNoy
CB (6) S.Gilmore, J.Jackson, S.Wade, J.Mills, J.Bethel, J.Jones
SS (2) K.Dugger, A.Phillips
FS (2) D.McCourty, C.Davis
ST (3) N.Folk, J.Bailey, J.Cardona

Total players: 53
Created with Pats Picker: Pats Picker 2019

One answer- Cam/COVID

Agree. I don't want anyone from the remainder. If they traded for someone i'll all for it.

Yea it just came down to another G over a swing T. Caj has come on nicely.

I like Langi in coverage. STs as well

meh

Best ST player of the remaining bubble players.
One other feature is the “expanded” 55 man roster where 2 practice squad players can be promoted for game use and not have to clear waivers (for a certain number of games) as long as a team has a certain number of offensive linemen. And the expansion of the practice squad to allow for up to 6 NFL vets.

I think we want to take this into account when building the 53. A candidate for that role is essentially someone who wants to be with the Pats and will easily clear waivers. I think the likely candidates are Ferentz and Langi. Ferentz has been cut a ton of times in the past without issue, and he joined the team last year again in this exact route. Langi had little interest in FA after his performance with the Jets.

I could see the Pats cutting those two guys to hold onto a couple of others (Cajuste and Jennings, for example), and still having Ferentz a potential game day active lineman on the practice squad and Langi in a similar role as needed at LB.

One other feature is the “expanded” 55 man roster where 2 practice squad players can be promoted for game use and not have to clear waivers (for a certain number of games) as long as a team has a certain number of offensive linemen. And the expansion of the practice squad to allow for up to 6 NFL vets.

I think we want to take this into account when building the 53. A candidate for that role is essentially someone who wants to be with the Pats and will easily clear waivers. I think the likely candidates are Ferentz and Langi. Ferentz has been cut a ton of times in the past without issue, and he joined the team last year again in this exact route. Langi had little interest in FA after his performance with the Jets.

I could see the Pats cutting those two guys to hold onto a couple of others (Cajuste and Jennings, for example), and still having Ferentz a potential game day active lineman on the practice squad and Langi in a similar role as needed at LB.
Great points. I hope Hoyer might fall into that category

The downside is that teams are no longer allowed to pay NFL active roster salaries to guys on the practice squad; those salaries are prescribed in the CBA now. That’s one thing the Pats had done in the past as a differentiator.

I think this impacts the Hoyer situation the most. NFL 3rd string QBs still make far more than practice squad guys, so if an opportunity is out there, I suspect he’d grab it. Now personally, I have no use for him after his ”performance“ against KC, but I think it’s far too risky to just go with Cam and Mac, and I’m not sure you can pull in anyone else off the street at this point who can run the Pats’ offense.

Regarding your roster, I'm not able to give up Cajuste, who has a chance to be a good starting OT in this League, to keep Hoyer around. Just can't do that.

Regarding your roster, I'm not able to give up Cajuste, who has a chance to be a good starting OT in this League, to keep Hoyer around. Just can't do that.
Yea hes really come on. If he does well in the last preseason game i might be doing some adjusting as well.

Keeping him over an older Ferentz might make more sense. Just not there yet.

The Hoyer keep is not just COVID Cam insurance. Mac's stable pony as well.

Last edited:
Yea hes really come on. If he does well in the last preseason game i might be doing some adjusting as well.

Keeping him over and older Ferentz might make more sense. Just not there yet.

The Hoyer keep is not just COVID Cam insurance. Mac's stable pony as well.
Although Hoyer could still be a stable pony without being on the roster. If he were released, I’m not sure he goes anywhere anyway.

“I had a few words with him, yeah,” Stevenson said Friday in a video conference. “I hope to have some more with him, just to pick his brain and just see where he sees some fault and some (areas) where I could get better and things like that. So yeah, I talked to him, but I hope to talk to him a little bit more and pick his brain and just see what I need to work on from his point of view.”

“I dreamed about playing in the NFL, and to be in my first training camp — closer to the end of it than the beginning — it’s just a great feeling,” said Stevenson, who ranked fifth in the FBS in forced missed tackle rate in 2020. “I kind of feel accomplished, things like that, but I just know I got a lot more work to do. But it’s a great feeling, knowing I’ve almost made it through my first training camp.”

Perhaps good news for Henry and LaCosse.
Henry is improving tho still noncontact. LaCosse isn’t practicing so unable to earn a spot he might have a hard time doing if healthy.

Just a hunch, but Warring might stick.

I've seen or heard nothing that makes me think he has earned anything since being acquired - but he won't get to the PS if the reports of other teams ready to claim him are true.
This didn't age well... :D

Yeah, the heat was mentioned in a few places yesterday, but surprised that would keep him from participating today though.
I looked up heat exhaustion in regards to the blood clots he had in his lungs last year and it stated
“Heat stroke is a killer because it damages the heart, liver, kidneys, brain, and blood clotting system”
I would think as a precautionary they would keep him out a few days

Warring got cut 3 days after being claimed off waivers. I really liked that guy coming out of college as a TE with huge upside. Too athletic not to be claimed by somebody.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back