PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Patriots Training Camp 8-2-2023

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
There are some angles overhead you can get with drones that would be unique. Again, aside from that, no idea.
True, but it makes sense to do analysis using similar camera angles to what they'll get from all-22 and other league standard materials.

True, but it makes sense to do analysis using similar camera angles to what they'll get from all-22 and other league standard materials.
I don't disagree. I was answering a "what if" or "is it possible" type of question. Although I'd prefer the team upgrade its camera. Their All-22s aren't quite as clear as some of the others I watched last season.

Gotta give Zappe credit with that percentage with the Two's. I wonder who's the Top playmakers among the two's??
That's not bad at all for Zappe with the B team. Preseason will tell us more.

DD is making the team unless he completely falls off. I wouldn't put Boutte on it Ty is still ahead of him. Right now I'd probably say Nixon is ahead of them both. Ty is not doing himself any favors with a slow start and now missing some action but there's still time and unless he completely blanks all summer and preseason he'll probably still be in front of them.
It’s looking like a dogfight for the last WR slot on the roster. DD, TT, Tre, Boutte at least are all in the mix. Each of them will have days when they get chances and look good, other days other guys will have their chances and look good. Injuries may be a factor in sorting them out. Cutdown days will be tough.

That's not bad at all for Zappe with the B team. Preseason will tell us more.
It's certainly not bad news with Zappe that he's flashing. It would be a nice problem to have if he's as good or better than Mac.

As for Mac, he's also playing with a backup OL. It was so bad that on Monday they actually told the 1st team DL to stop pressuring so they could evaluate the skill position players.

I agree that joint practices and preseason are going to matter even more than they usually do.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Not sure I necessarily am to eager to see him at FB.. I know BB has done this before with guys.. we have enough in the backfield to be able to get 1yd or less..

Tavai has been morphing into a play maker at LB.. I'd rather see him continue to play at LB than a gadget FB..
Might have been the brother...Justus?

It’s looking like a dogfight for the last WR slot on the roster. DD, TT, Tre, Boutte at least are all in the mix. Each of them will have days when they get chances and look good, other days other guys will have their chances and look good. Injuries may be a factor in sorting them out. Cutdown days will be tough.
Who's gonna get their hands dirty on ST? Demario can return kicks, right?

Not sure I necessarily am to eager to see him at FB.. I know BB has done this before with guys.. we have enough in the backfield to be able to get 1yd or less..

Tavai has been morphing into a play maker at LB.. I'd rather see him continue to play at LB than a gadget FB..

I think this might a combination of early camp experimentation and injury necessity. This offense isn't going to feature a FB the way a McDaniels offense did, so they're not (likely) going to carry a true FB on the roster. But there will be times on the goal-line and 3rd/4th and 1 where you're going to want someone in that lead blocking role.

Typically, you'd just throw an extra OL in that spot, but injuries have them kind of thin there right now. You could also put a TE in that role, but in those specific situations you're typically also using three TE's in the formation. So unless you're planning on carrying 4 TE's on gameday, practicing that isn't going to really help much. So they're trying out Tavai to see if it can work.

We've seen them do similar things in the past, either for similar reasons or because their actual FB was injured, like when Elandon Roberts was filling the role.

I think this might a combination of early camp experimentation and injury necessity. This offense isn't going to feature a FB the way a McDaniels offense did, so they're not (likely) going to carry a true FB on the roster. But there will be times on the goal-line and 3rd/4th and 1 where you're going to want someone in that lead blocking role.

Typically, you'd just throw an extra OL in that spot, but injuries have them kind of thin there right now. You could also put a TE in that role, but in those specific situations you're typically also using three TE's in the formation. So unless you're planning on carrying 4 TE's on gameday, practicing that isn't going to really help much. So they're trying out Tavai to see if it can work.

We've seen them do similar things in the past, either for similar reasons or because their actual FB was injured, like when Elandon Roberts was filling the role.
I definitely see your point and it's definitely sensible. There are still plentiful available O lineman put there in FA, or if they need someone to play fullback.. Harris the RB he'd be great there. He's built like a FB and can run and cut like Rham.. O Line is likely going to make us, or break us offensively this season. We have done this in the past only the Great BB still employs the 1950s NFL where players did everything! Now if the experiment does work it's a feather in jhalanis cap for contract negotiations.

I was just making the point IMO, that he is a home grown player that is a starting LB and has played well. I'd as a fan just rather see him play a more full time role there. He's pretty good in coverage, good in space and very instinctive.

Why would they use drones when all they have to do is install towers?

They've used a scissor lift for many years, it's on the southwest end of the field. Right outside the EZ.

Where did Lazar say that? Mac has excellent accuracy, touch, and placement.

I'm guessing that Mac's biggest weakness is that he loses his composure when he has to improvise. He's actually really good with a clean pocket and/or when his receivers are where they are supposed to be on time: 5th best EPA/play last with no pressure and also great with big time throws.

But he was absolutely terrible under pressure last year.

I'm guessing that Mac panics and/or freezes up when the play is blown up and he has to go off platform. IMO it's not athleticism, he's plenty fast and quick, but composure. I fear he might be overemotional and lacks the gunslinger mentality.

Hope I'm wrong. He's going to see nothing but pressure until he proves he can deal with it.

Lazar never said that. He is on the record for the opposite. And you are right about what he thinks is his weakness.

And in college, anticipation was his calling card.

The problem is because of last year, a lot of his strengths have become perceived weaknesses for some reason. On top of anticipation, he has gotten a rep for horrible pocket presence which is not the case.

Who's gonna get their hands dirty on ST? Demario can return kicks, right?
I think DD is going to be starting IMO.. I'd love to see him and or mighty Mouse Marcus Jones handling those responsibilities.

Lazar never said that. He is on the record for the opposite. And you are right about what he thinks is his weakness.

And in college, anticipation was his calling card.

The problem is because of last year, a lot of his strengths have become perceived weaknesses for some reason. On top of anticipation, he has gotten a rep for horrible pocket presence which is not the case.

As I said, based on his behavior, My biggest fear is that Mac lacks essential composure and is thus prone to make bad decisions when the play breaks down. He can work well in structured environment like making RPO reads efficiently, but is maybe too excitable to handle pressure well. As Lazar actually said in the 8/1 podcast, he looks liked he's scared about throwing into tight NFL windows. Confidence is an emotional issue.

Maybe, as you said, he's traumatized by his failure last year and will grow out of it or be coached out of it.

BOB can scheme around it, but if Mac doesn't acquire (or rediscover!) the assassin's confidence that all the great QB's have he will never be great.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back