PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Patriots Training Camp 8-2-2023

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
On Mac - It is hard to ignore the near equality of reps he and Zappe are getting thus far. Per Lazar - Mac's big negative seems to be the inability to see & deliver the ball downfield in anticipation (which I chalk up to the mental @&$%^* he got last year with Fatty P terrorizing him - and benching him - if he threw a pick)

On Thornton - It's just part of the curse. He is destined to fail. It's not that the Pats screwed up and took him instead of Pickens, it's just the horrible luck that he came to the Pats. If we did pick Pickens, he would have been failing here, and Thornton would be breaking out in Pittsburg. The Steelers are literally the opposite of the Pats with drafted WR's - anyone they pick will be great immediately.

It was only natural that the offense, who was incorporating a new coordinator, revised system, new linemen and weapons would have to catch up to a defense returning the majority of their starters and adding some talented rookies.

Don’t get too high or low based on the first week of camp. Things are just getting started, players are just starting to get into playing shape. By the end of camp and preseason we’ll know better what they have.

I feel like we only really start getting an idea of where guys are during joint practices. Even the first pre-season game feels like a dress rehearsal. But the joint practices get guys fired up, and it's much easier to see the success/failure of Patriots players when they're not going against teammates. Until then, it's all about making progress and getting on the same page. Making definitive evaluations on anybody at this stage is just us being football starved after a long offseason.

On Mac - It is hard to ignore the near equality of reps he and Zappe are getting thus far. Per Lazar - Mac's big negative seems to be the inability to see & deliver the ball downfield in anticipation (which I chalk up to the mental @&$%^* he got last year with Fatty P terrorizing him - and benching him - if he threw a pick)
Where did Lazar say that? Mac has excellent accuracy, touch, and placement.

I'm guessing that Mac's biggest weakness is that he loses his composure when he has to improvise. He's actually really good with a clean pocket and/or when his receivers are where they are supposed to be on time: 5th best EPA/play last with no pressure and also great with big time throws.

But he was absolutely terrible under pressure last year.

I'm guessing that Mac panics and/or freezes up when the play is blown up and he has to go off platform. IMO it's not athleticism, he's plenty fast and quick, but composure. I fear he might be overemotional and lacks the gunslinger mentality.

Hope I'm wrong. He's going to see nothing but pressure until he proves he can deal with it.

Where did Lazar say that?
Patriots Unfiltered of yesterday (1st of august) it starts around the 7 minutes mark if you are interested by listening

Not sure I necessarily am to eager to see him at FB.. I know BB has done this before with guys.. we have enough in the backfield to be able to get 1yd or less..

Tavai has been morphing into a play maker at LB.. I'd rather see him continue to play at LB than a gadget FB..

Patriots Unfiltered of yesterday (1st of august) it starts around the 7 minutes mark if you are interested by listening
I have a feeling Lazar will be singing a different tune after today (if his feed is to be believed).

Really don't get the "boundary corner Marcus Jones" experiment, especially considering how good Jonathan Jones looked on the outside last year.
Experiment now, so they know how best to shuffle the lineup when somebody gets dinged up in the middle of a late season game. And to decide the best mix of players to keep on the roster now to be best prepared then.

Don't know if they'd give up on him this soon. Tyquan has shown ability.. I believe when the regular season starts he'll be part of this roster and have a role in the offseason. He has to much upside.
Doesn’t matter if TT has shown ability, when DD and Boutte are also showing ability and have as much or more upside.

Thanks, just listened to it. Lazar didn't say "Mac's big negative seems to be the inability to see & deliver the ball downfield in anticipation", what he said is that Mac is running scared and is afraid to throw into tight windows downfield.

That unfortunately is consistent with my fear that Mac's problem is a lack of composure. You can't be a great QB if you are fearful of making mistakes.

Hopefully BOB can coach him out of that and/or coach around it. But Mac *will* fail if he plays it safe.

Not with the ones though. Mac has gotten virtually all of those, and those are the reps that count.
Yes because there isn’t an open competition. It’s Mac job to lose but it’s clear in my view that the coaching staff wants to evaluate both QBs using the same baseline and that Mac will not have the job handed to him no matter what.

I still think that any team with a clear cut starter and backup wouldn’t split reps like that. It would be more inline of 75% for the starter and 25% for the back up.

Doesn’t matter if TT has shown ability, when DD and Boutte are also showing ability and have as much or more upside.
DD is making the team unless he completely falls off. I wouldn't put Boutte on it Ty is still ahead of him. Right now I'd probably say Nixon is ahead of them both. Ty is not doing himself any favors with a slow start and now missing some action but there's still time and unless he completely blanks all summer and preseason he'll probably still be in front of them.

Really don't get the "boundary corner Marcus Jones" experiment, especially considering how good Jonathan Jones looked on the outside last year.
I believe BB is just trying out different combos to see where everyone's strengths/weaknesses lie. Bill already knows Jon Jones can play any cb position as he was very good as the #1 outside cb last year.( despite what some very misinformed posters here have foolishly typed)
But Bill might need him at fs. And he's the best slot cb on the team. So needs to know everything Marcus and others are capable of handling just in case

Yes because there isn’t an open competition. It’s Mac job to lose but it’s clear in my view that the coaching staff wants to evaluate both QBs using the same baseline and that Mac will not have the job handed to him no matter what.

I still think that any team with a clear cut starter and backup wouldn’t split reps like that. It would be more inline of 75% for the starter and 25% for the back up.
I think the nature of training camp with 90 players all competing for spots, they need three QBs constantly running plays to see how everyone looks on offense and defense. I think if we saw Zappe playing with the ones, then they'd be evaluating the QBs with the same baseline. As it is, this seems way less competitive at QB than I expected.

I think it's tough to tell in practice because so much of the trenches is jumbled together. If they could look back at some sky views and replays it would probably be easier to break down what went right/wrong on a given play. But from a side angle with only one chance to see it, I imagine it's a guessing game.
They're not permitted to use drones?
And if so, why aren't they?

I think the nature of training camp with 90 players all competing for spots, they need three QBs constantly running plays to see how everyone looks on offense and defense. I think if we saw Zappe playing with the ones, then they'd be evaluating the QBs with the same baseline. As it is, this seems way less competitive at QB than I expected.
Zappe seems to be playing solid with the Twos I don't think there's big drop off between him and Mac. Zappe showed last year that he can play if needed as did Purdy.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back