PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for WR Brandin Cooks (NO BUTLER INVOLVED). Gave up 1st & 3rd rounder for Cooks + 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just on page one with 7 pages to go. Initially I think we paid too much for someone who isn't a true #1 WR and likely a one year rental in a year we need defensive rookies.

That being said I am SOOOOOOOOO relieved Malcolm Butler isn't part of this deal, I almost don't care about the lost picks, though I probably will by the time I get caught up with this thread. ;)
I don't know why anyone buys that this team was going to trade Butler. They can give him his tender than season and then franchise him next, essentially it is a 2 year $18M contract.

If you ask me it was really as simple as them paying slightly more for Gilmore than it would have cost to keep Ryan.

Jet fans: "This is no fair. We always win the SB in March"

All the Jets have to do is pick up RG3 and they will claim victory in the offseason AFC Championship game. That will be 4 offseason suberbowl appearances in 6 years for the Jets. The other offseason dynasty (the Cowgirls) will represent the NFC

Unsure what it means for Amendola and Floyd but I have Patriots' pass catchers ranked like this:
  1. TE1 - Rob Gronkowski
  2. WR1 - Brandin Cooks
  3. WR2 - Julian Edelman
  4. WR3 - Malcolm Mitchell
  5. WR4 - Chris Hogan
  6. TE2 - Dwayne Allen
  7. WR5 - Amendola/Floyd
Formidable.

If the Patriots manage to re-sign Hightower, this is one of the best offseason periods I've ever seen.

Not a criticism of your point but just to show how deep the receiving corps is now, you forgot Dion Lewis and James White.

Last edited:
oh yeah, broncos record setting 2013 offense is gone.

Absolutley he can, takes big hits and catches with his hands and not his numbers. Great player. I do wonder though about paying him, maybe agree to pay him now and therefore it keeps it under double digits I'm thinking, instead of starting at 12-14m in two years.

Thanks - I like what I've seen of Cook on TV. I know he can fly but question...does he have any JE in him? Can he go over the middle, get crushed, hang on to the ball, and come up laughing? Curious about his durability and toughness.

Yeah he's tough. I don't know if he is JE tough though. I can tell you, it's a rare occurrence that he gets crushed because he is so fast. He was mostly our vert threat and Snead our guy over the middle. Brady is going to have a field day with Cooks. Your offense will be nasty.

In regards to the trade, I wish we could have gotten more of course. We gave up picks to get Cooks, and basically got a #2 and #3 pick for him and we gave up that fourth. Cooks is in the short line for a SB ring while we continue to dwell in 7-9 mediocrity. Like I said, I look forward to watching him in pats offense, he's definitely going to get his fill.

Wow, that's all I can say. Never thought BB would give up a 1st !

Unsure what it means for Amendola and Floyd but I have Patriots' pass catchers ranked like this:
  1. TE1 - Rob Gronkowski
  2. WR1 - Brandin Cooks
  3. WR2 - Julian Edelman
  4. WR3 - Malcolm Mitchell
  5. WR4 - Chris Hogan
  6. TE2 - Dwayne Allen
  7. WR5 - Amendola/Floyd
Formidable.

If the Patriots manage to re-sign Hightower, this is one of the best offseason periods I've ever seen.

Not that Jules needs it, but this trade is going to light a fire under him this year. He has worked his tail off to be the go to receiver.

Think the price was a little high, but have to think Jimmy G is on the way out. Offensive is definitely going to be explosive. Would like to find some size on the outside though. Not much left to do on offense. Probably just a RB.

WOW I knew it, SP wasnt going to let him go to Titans when he knew BB wanted him.

Congrats Patriots you got a game changer for the future, The Kid is sooo good.
Good Luck Cooks we will miss you.

oh BTW we call hime the Archer :p

Where is the room for rookies other than an readyc crowded O line?

I'm not saying there are many spots open, I am just saying that it's atypical for BB to move out so many picks. But, I'm very open to it - as I'm on the "BB has earned our trust" train all day long.

Not a criticism of your point but just to deep the receiving corps is now, you forgot Dion Lewis and James White.
Didn't forget more chose not to include RBs in the mix. That said, I do acknowledge your point.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is a trade in the works for Garoppolo. Belichick is not going to go into the draft picking first at #72.

wanna bet? JG is here next season and is the starting QB of the Patriots in 2019. Don't ask me how but that seems like the plan. The real question is what do they do in 2018 because I highly doubt Jimmy is signing any sort of deal and most likely will be franchised for 1 season. This thinking is actually making my head spin.

Not that Jules needs it, but this trade is going to light a fire under him this year. He has worked his tail off to be the go to receiver.

This is good for Jules. Take some of the load off of him. I'm starting to worry about his long term health.

Yeah he's tough. I don't know if he is JE tough though. I can tell you, it's a rare occurrence that he gets crushed because he is so fast. He was mostly our vert threat and Snead our guy over the middle. Brady is going to have a field day with Cooks. Your offense will be nasty.

In regards to the trade, I wish we could have gotten more of course. We gave up picks to get Cooks, and basically got a #2 and #3 pick for him and we gave up that fourth. Cooks is in the short line for a SB ring while we continue to dwell in 7-9 mediocrity. Like I said, I look forward to watching him in pats offense, he's definitely going to get his fill.

Thanks - In your opinion - Do you see him lining up as a wideout opposite Mitchell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back