PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots to sign Former Ravens LB Albert McClellan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Payback for Cyrus..

Lots of roster activity post trade deadline. Grigsby's health status, Grissom's roster status to monitor among others..

The Ravens pick captains for each individual game instead of the season as a whole, but McClellan was a frequent ST captain for them.

Hey, that's racist! I'm Irish and I take offense to that. After I'm done finishing my 6 pack of beer and eating me baked potato I'm gonna sort yar arse right out ya bastard!

Don’t bug me while I’m eating cabbage

Tomorrow is going to be interesting with them needing 2 roster spots to free up.. One for Obi and one for McClellan. Though it could be that Grigsby is hurt worse than feared and heading to IR..

One of those old salts that's seen it all.

Nothing more than a STer

Certainly an ST-based signing for the Pats. But McClellan apparently played okay as a rotational fill-in SAM LB for the Ravens as recently as 2016 (before his 2017 ACL tear). Maybe somewhat analogous to Tracy White (2010-2012).

Albert McClellan (6010/250, age 32, as of June 4th)
... 4.81/40, 1.72/10yd .. 26 reps .. 36.5" vert/119" lj .. 4.21 shuttle/7.24 3cone

Originally a UDFA signed by the Ravens in 2011 out of Marshall.

Primarily high-use ST (85%+ of ST snaps), but decent reserve SAM LB as recently as 2016:
... 16 gms/11 sts .. 603 D-snaps (58%)/186 ST snaps (40%) .. 52 tkls .. 1 sack .. 2 QBH

Missed all of 2017 on IR with a knee injury (tore ACL in Camp).

Released in cutdowns 9/1/18; re-signed 9/17/18 (start of wk-3). Started and played 22 D-snaps in wk-3 (1 tkl), and 139 ST snaps in six games (23/gm).

Released (SFA) 10/30/18 to make room for Ty Montgomery (trade from GBY).

Last edited:
My sense is now that both the Melifonwu and McClellan signings are intended primarily to bolster special teams (while also exploring the developmental potential of Melifonwu).

Seems likely to me that Grissom (ankle) and Hollister (hammy) will be sent to IR to open the roster spots, although Grissom might simply be waived (since he was active for the Packers game).

It's also possible that one of Mason (calf) or Schwenke (foot) are moved to IR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down