PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots to have long meeting with Jayden Daniels

It’s the draft, what choice would he have? This doesn’t make a lot of sense. And most top pick candidates are cold regions anyway.
He could refuse to sign and set up a situation where the Patriots drafted and traded him (like Eli Manning), pick someone else, or trade the pick.

He could refuse to sign and set up a situation where the Patriots drafted and traded him (like Eli Manning), pick someone else, or trade the pick.
That almost never happens (hasn't since Eli, which was 20 years ago), and there's nothing indicates Daniels is that type of guy. And a lot of the Eli situation had to do with his infamous former QB father. A lot of connections there.

What if we promise to trade for his former Sun Devil teammate Aiyuk? And if that's not enough we draft Pearsall another former teammate.

That almost never happens (hasn't since Eli, which was 20 years ago), and there's nothing indicates Daniels is that type of guy. And a lot of the Eli situation had to do with his infamous former QB father. A lot of connections there.
It's unlikely, but possible. But if he really doesn't want to play here, I doubt they'll pick him.

I've been listening to a lot of Draft podcasts. There are still a number of experts who have Maye above Daniels.

One of the troubling statistics for Daniels is sack rate which typically doesn't translate well.

Daniels reportedly weighed in at 210lbs.

The whole damn offensive staff and front office is there

As a frame of reference - CJ Stroud last year weighed in at 6'3" and 214 pounds. So he's roughly the same. I think Lamar is around 6'2" and 215.

The writing on the wall QB's are going 1-2 possibly 3 the only curve ball I see is Daniels going #1 overall if he wows Chicago. J Daniels have Year One Impact written all over him. I know many here want Drake Maye but I feel Daniels is the much better prospect.
I’m thinking the way the tackling rules keep changing, a scrambling QB might make it through a season unscathed. I’m definitely on board with Daniel’s … or if they trade out Nix. I like his composure vs his athleticism for a high second round pick.

For those curious - Jayden's hands measured in at 9 and 3/8 inches. Pretty good size. Bit bigger than Mahomes, about the same as Brady's. Much bigger than notoriously small handed Kenny Pickett.

Taking Maye over Daniels is like taking is like taking Thornton over Pickens their abilities is clear like night and day. Daniels is the superior Prospect take that to the bank Patsfans.
Daniels is the more exciting choice, the intriguing option, though with greater risk of losing time to injury given his playing style and physical size. Maye is a big strapping fella who may or may not develop as he needs to. He might be a somewhat meatier version of...Mac Jones...except his arm is better? I'm not gonna squawk either way, nor am I gonna pretend to know which is the wiser choice at this point. I don't know. I sort of favor Maye, but it's a choice I'd be hard pressed to defend, except maybe that's what Phil Perry thinks, and he seems smart. I'm a little concerned that neither of them might be anything really special in so high a pick, which is why I'd listen to offers for that #3, to get more snatches at the brass ring next year and at other positions. It will be interesting, and I think that's probably the most important aspect. We are fans, after all - yammering away (and why not?) - not legit GM's at all, whatever poses we may strike for effect. :)

Daniels is the more exciting choice, the intriguing option, though with greater risk of losing time to injury given his playing style and physical size. Maye is a big strapping fella who may or may not develop as he needs to. He might be a somewhat meatier version of...Mac Jones...except his arm is better? I'm not gonna squawk either way, nor am I gonna pretend to know which is the wiser choice at this point. I don't know. I sort of favor Maye, but it's a choice I'd be hard pressed to defend, except maybe that's what Phil Perry thinks, and he seems smart. I'm a little concerned that neither of them might be anything really special in so high a pick, which is why I'd listen to offers for that #3, to get more snatches at the brass ring next year and at other positions. It will be interesting, and I think that's probably the most important aspect. We are fans, after all - yammering away (and why not?) - not legit GM's at all, whatever poses we may strike for effect. :)
I'm in the same boat. All these self-proclaimed draft experts do not have a crystal ball.

As fans all we can do is hope the player takes to coaching, is smart, talented, is a tireless worker, carries himself with class and dignity, acts like his dog died after a loss and will do anything at any cost to win a football game.

I don't. not sold on any of them at this point.
That’s how I feel. But I also feel like I’m missing something.

Patriots: "We are interested in you playing for us."

Daniels: "I don't like cold weather."

Patriots: "We'll pay you millions."

Daniels: "So will other teams where it doesn't snow."

Patriots: "If you haven't noticed, we have a new coach who values diversity, inclusion and will care about you as a person."

Daniels: "If you haven't noticed, I'm thin, get cold easily and haven't lived or played football in weather under 50 degrees."

Patriots: "We have hot clam chowder. We have a heated field house. You can practice there whenever you like."

Daniels' agent: "Excuse me, but this interview has exceeded its time limit. Thank you and goodbye. I mean, get lost."
Clam Chowder scared D hop away

Patriots: "We are interested in you playing for us."

Daniels: "I don't like cold weather."

Patriots: "We'll pay you millions."

Daniels: "So will other teams where it doesn't snow."

Patriots: "If you haven't noticed, we have a new coach who values diversity, inclusion and will care about you as a person."

Daniels: "If you haven't noticed, I'm thin, get cold easily and haven't lived or played football in weather under 50 degrees."

Patriots: "We have hot clam chowder. We have a heated field house. You can practice there whenever you like."

Daniels' agent: "Excuse me, but this interview has exceeded its time limit. Thank you and goodbye. I mean, get lost."
So he's there at 3, tells the Pats not to pick him and goes to the Chargers at 5...he left $4.3 million on the table.

No one trades up after that and the GIants go at 6. Nope, too cold.
No worries, the Vikings at 11 have a dome!

He just left $17million for his rookie deal on the table.

Well played!

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back