Patriots Team Culcha

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
So here is something that I realized as a fan, and I am sure we all have: Subconsciously we always knew that the team was anybody passing through, even for a fairly long hitch, say five years... plus Tom Brady.

That likely irked BB, but in typical BB fashion, he made best use of it, making an ally and partner out of Brady, not just another player. Everybody knew the deal, but I'd wager it was an uncomfortable region of departure for BB.

Now that link's broken from Coach down through Tom to the ranks... and the result is, that channel has to be recreated, but since there will not likely arise any such channel in perfect alignment with the coach and management, this one constant aspect of team culture will change.

That's all that can be specifically known. How the change gets filled in... whether through a veteran mafia, through an empowered coaching staff, through more hands-on BB attention, or (most likely) via a combination of the three, that's all unwritten.

That near perfect alignment of owner/coach/"face of the franchise" has been part of what makes the Patriots special these last 20 years... it'll be interesting to see the next culture emerge. We are used to "little" turnovers of culture, each year's machine-like culling of those whose contract interests don't align with team evaluation... that is normal.

But right now, every player is on the bubble -- no "except Tom Brady." It'll be interesting to see how the team culture responds to the new normal .

Well I dont know exactly what to expect but I think we're in for quite a stretch of "woulda, coulda, shoulda".

Well I dont know exactly what to expect but I think we're in for quite a stretch of "woulda, coulda, shoulda".

I guess that's always true. But the team's been good at "us against the world" in the past when "woulda coulda shoulda" stuff starts up (assume you mean places like here + the media, not on the team)

In the early days of the dynasty, I'd argue that guys like Teddy Bruschi established and maintained our team culture far more than Tom did.

I guess that's always true. But the team's been good at "us against the world" in the past when "woulda coulda shoulda" stuff starts up (assume you mean places like here + the media, not on the team)
Right, we could always count on thr local talking heads to second guess every move(not sure if you had any exposure to it in VA) I guess trying to convince us we'd have had 20 Lambardis if they'd only had made this or that move. But now I think we as fans are in danger of making every day threads turn into game day threads out of the frustration of not winning as much as we're used to. The cultcha is ova?

In the early days of the dynasty, I'd argue that guys like Teddy Bruschi established and maintained our team culture far more than Tom did.

Let's say absolutely true in 2001-2, then some form of "somewhat true" in 02-03, then by 03-04, it was Tom's team (but with the veteran mafia no small part of the team's success.)

Teddy was special that way. I think Tom let him have that place and he knew his place then.

Let's say absolutely true in 2001-2, then some form of "somewhat true" in 02-03, then by 03-04, it was Tom's team (but with the veteran mafia no small part of the team's success.)
It became “Toms team” in 2007.

Right, we could always count on thr local talking heads to second guess every move(not sure if you had any exposure to it in VA) I guess trying to convince us we'd have had 20 Lambardis if they'd only had made this or that move. But now I think we as fans are in danger of making every day threads turn into game day threads out of the frustration of not winning as much as we're used to. The cultcha is ova?

I'm pretty exposed to it, but by choice, coming here when I feel like it... you don't hear Patriots talk on the DC Metro much (before the virus that is)... but then, if you turned on BSPN or NFL*N, it has been pretty much all Patriots all the time, so the negative story lines filter through those guys. But no, not the constant drumbeat of your jocks + beat writers.

I dunno about the culcha being ova... I think a fair number are like "oh that's it, I never followed NE before Tom Brady, now I'm looking for another team, maybe the Bucs, maybe someone else..."

We'll see the spoiled fans ditch, that's the silver lining. I know there are good guys/gals out there that never saw real adversity as Pats fans. Not that I want seasons we'd call adversity in the historical sense, like 2-14 years, but if we do, that sort of gives the later arrivals a chance to "prove their fanhood" (often it's a matter of age, they did not choose to be born at the perfect time, it just happened.)

Those of us who remember some down years, or at least long stretches when we weren't a real contendah... well, we will be pulling to keep away from that kind of outcome. Some newbies will ditch at the first sign of trouble... some will be keepahs :D

We'll end up with the fan culcha that we always had. It's not a matter of who the bandwagon-jumpers are... why learn their names? It's a matter of how many.

It became “Toms team” in 2007.

Well that's a pretty definitive statement. Think Lawyer Milloy agrees with that?

They shoulda signed Tom when they had the chance. Woulda competed for more championships. Coulda done it if it weren’t for ego.

They shoulda signed Tom when they had the chance. Woulda competed for more championships. Coulda done it if it weren’t for ego.
Do you really think you can win a championship with a 43 year old QB? Not sure if it was ego or just escaping the pressure of Foxboro for his last year or 2, having fun vs win at all cost.

The culture is more a BB culture than TBs culture, TB just has had same dedication and discipline for the sport so he fit very well in the existing culture.
He just increased it for all new guys as he became a star but worked his ass of like he was a rookie each year(except for the last year or 2, where he enjoyed time off with his kids and wife instead)

So no, it was a great time, but watch Brady struggle in Florida even though he has "elite receiving corps" around him, while the Pats will be doing well in future.

The culture is more a BB culture than TBs culture, TB just has had same dedication and discipline for the sport so he fit very well in the existing culture.
He just increased it for all new guys as he became a star but worked his ass of like he was a rookie each year(except for the last year or 2, where he enjoyed time off with his kids and wife instead)

So no, it was a great time, but watch Brady struggle in Florida even though he has "elite receiving corps" around him, while the Pats will be doing well in future.

Always BB's team, but that was shared ownership. For the better part of 20 years -- unlike @Ring 6, I don't think this began in 07 -- it's been clear that TFB was the exception to the "everybody's interchangeable" ethic. He was not expendable -- well, until age 42 -- and he would always be the conduit from BB to the team. Hence the thread - the whole model is changed, it's one of those moments. (I don't get all the side eye responses and "What?!"s).

I actually think BB is liberated to stop attempting to build around him, etc. He was the model unselfish player, but it's not like you could just blow off the offense or go run-first with TFB under center... maybe last couple years, but I would still guess quite pass-heavy. Going from memory cuz I am being lazy.

Always BB's team, but that was shared ownership. For the better part of 20 years -- unlike @Ring 6, I don't think this began in 07 -- it's been clear that TFB was the exception to the "everybody's interchangeable" ethic. He was not expendable -- well, until age 42 -- and he would always be the conduit from BB to the team. Hence the thread - the whole model is changed, it's one of those moments. (I don't get all the side eye responses and "What?!"s).

I actually think BB is liberated to stop attempting to build around him, etc. He was the model unselfish player, but it's not like you could just blow off the offense or go run-first with TFB under center... maybe last couple years, but I would still guess quite pass-heavy. Going from memory cuz I am being lazy.
Brady was a (very important) cog in the machine until 2007, then became the focus of the machine.

Everybody knew the deal, but I'd wager it was an uncomfortable region of departure for BB.

I doubt that. Any successful leader loves to have highly capable people that they can delegate responsibilities to with confidence - Brady was one of the only players that ever got to that level (I'd imagine someone like Slater is also at that level).

It will likely follow the same pattern we have had with assistant coaches in the past: after a trusted assistant coach leaves, BB nominally takes that role himself while allowing the new coach to functionally ramp up into those responsibilities until they are ready.

IOW, forum business as usual ;)

Offense will likely be more inclusive with new receivers actually getting thrown to. Probably a better run game with teams not familiar with Stidham. A lot more short quick throws to avoid the blitz that is coming non stop. I am concerned about Edelman, Tom usually threw him out of harms way not sure if Stidham can do that.
It will be interesting to see TB with a new team, new coaches, new plays. No more selective receivers no more Edelman and a cloud of dust. I wonder if they will build around TB or try to have TB fit the existing schemes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes