PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Signing DT Armon Watts

my soul aches for a big man like Wilfork to pair with Barmore...
Yes ...Armon listed at 307 ... would have liked greater girth.

It doesn't matter what role he plays. The D-Line needs rotational pieces and he's one.
The goal is to bring the best 90 players to camp, not find warm bodies.
Why people seem to think this team can be fixed in one offseason is beyond my understanding.
Because they have the most cap space in the NFL, the third overall pick, all their concurrent picks at the top of the next round... and oh yeah, if they bring their own free agents back they only have to fix the offense... one side of the ball.

It's not a massive rebuild, they just have some crucial positions to fill in QB and LT.

I love what Wolf has done so far, brought back our best players for great value on contracts... but I'm not going to sugarcoat a player evaluation on Patsfans.com so you can feel better. Micro-aggressions aren't my problem.
At minimum, the Pats are a 3 year project.
Could be longer if you sign bad players.

Okay, by 3 years are you saying 3 years to become a Super Bowl contender? Or to be able to make the playoffs?

I don’t agree with the second. Recent history has told us that the notion that it takes 3-4 years to rebuild into a playoff team is bs.
We should be a contender for the playoffs in 2024 as long as we have a NFL starting QB.

We should be a contender for the playoffs in 2024 as long as we have a NFL starting QB.
They certainly can't afford to get this one wrong, albeit history has also shown that sometimes there's only one guy out of several who emerges in a given draft class, so it's definitely a crapshoot. Would be nice to see them not be on the wrong side of that this time.

I think DaQuan Jones that Buffalo just resigned would have been the better choice.

This is the kind of guy that championship teams are built around. A core of these high value, good but not great players, to which a handful of great players can be added.
Optimism and positivity don't play well when you're also preaching patience. It's hard to regulate your emotions if you're immature or have some place to go like the packy or a wake.

BUT HE'S NOT A STAR BRAND NAME WIDE OUT I CAN PUT ON MY FANTASY TEAM!
Sad The Lord Of The Rings GIF

PFF run grades are nonsense when you consider his role playing mostly on passing downs, even the highlight above show him pass rushing not stuffing the run. Here's an article from an actual Pittsburgh source:

"As a base defensive lineman, Watts became the Steelers’ go-to pass rusher off the bench, while guys like Isaiah Loudermilk and Montravius Adams filtered in, helping in run defense. His production with the Steelers mirrored the productivity from his best seasons, where he consistently played at a quality level off the bench. He was the team’s designated sub-package pass rusher depth, something they had lacked in previous years."

The guy was 6'5" 300 pounds leaving college, he only benched it 20 times... he's not a nose tackle. He's a situational pass rusher from the interior. He had five sacks in 2021, if he makes the team, hopefully he can fill that type of role.

The Patriots gave up the 4th fewest rushing yards in the NFL last year and ranked #1 in fewest YPA... they're already a very good run stuffing team. PFF player grades are toilet paper.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back