PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign WR Kenny Britt (Edit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bold prediction..."Kenny Britt makes 2 key first downs and a TD on sunday" lol
The world can always use more positivity.

Keep it coming.

Is there a chance that he’d actually be active? I would highly doubt it.

I think there is a very good chance he is active.

Seeing how their current WR4 didn't even play on Monday what downside is there if he is active?

Seeing how their current WR4 didn't even play on Monday what downside is there if he is active?

The downside is that Britt is ill prepared to step in if someone gets hurt, which Dorsett can do.
That was my reasoning, as well. I’m just wondering if it wouldn’t be a wasted roster spot, that’s all. I have more hope for next week, but we will see.

The downside is that Britt is ill prepared to step in if someone gets hurt, which Dorsett can do.

Mack...Dorsett is a one trick pony let's not over state his necessity. I feel if it comes down to it I will still go with DA on the outside in a pinch. Not ideal but what have Dorsett done to this point to show that he can be somewhat effective??:confused:

Last edited:
That was my reasoning, as well. I’m just wondering if it wouldn’t be a wasted roster spot, that’s all. I have more hope for next week, but we will see.

Sundays Game is Big for Playoffs seeding. Could be the Difference between playing Two Games or Three. Our AFC foes Pitts and Jaxs ain't playing juggernauts the rest of the way. Our Offense needs a little more route diversity. Cookie and Dorset are 7, 8 and 9 route players with small catch Radius. Now Britt with his size and catch radius gives us another dimension.

Sundays Game is Big for Playoffs seeding. Could be the Difference between playing Two Games or Three. Our AFC foes Pitts and Jaxs ain't playing juggernauts the rest of the way. Our Offense needs a little more route diversity. Cookie and Dorset are 7, 8 and 9 route players with small catch Radius. Now Britt with his size and catch radius gives us another dimension.
I understand the benefit of having a physical WR, but the odds of coming here mid-week and having a few practices then playing worth a damn on Sunday has to be fairly low. How much do you honestly think he’s going to absorb in 3 practices?

Maybe they give him a couple/few preplanned plays in the RZ, but then you’d have to activate 5 WRs and 5 RBs (Burkhead, Lewis, Develin, White, Bolden). Michael Floyd wasn’t active during his first week, so I think it may be surprising if Britt were. We’ll have to see.

Mack...Dorsett is a one trick pony let's not over do it about his necessity. I feel if it comes down to it I will still go with DA on the outside in a pinch. Not ideal but what have Dorsett done to this point to show that he can be somewhat effective??:confused:
But, who would you have playing the slot, then?

Hogan only played there about 4.5/10 snaps prior to his injury, and they’re obviously protecting him a bit because he only lined up in the early-mid 20s (percent) on Monday.

I’m assuming the only reason you’d have DA playing outside (shudders) would be due to Cooks’ absence, and even he only plays about 20% in the slot, anyway. At least Dorsett could draw some coverage and help to open up some underneath/intermediate routes for others. Neither Britt nor DA would command much respect in that scenario, at least not in my opinion.

As long as one of those plays is a Slant over the Middle especially near the RZ. Can't remember the last time one of our current WR cast connected on that Route with Brady.
The recent signing of Britt and need for a more physical presence that could act as a possession receiver (with much more experience and a drastically higher football IQ and better attitude/work ethic) really makes me wish that we could’ve somehow managed to pry the rights to Boldin away from Buffalo, but that is just my opinion and may not have ever been much of a reality.

But, who would you have playing the slot, then?

Hogan only played there about 4.5/10 snaps prior to his injury, and they’re obviously protecting him a bit because he only lined up in the early-mid 20s (percent) on Monday.

I’m assuming the only reason you’d have DA playing outside (shudders) would be due to Cooks’ absence, and even he only plays about 20% in the slot, anyway. At least Dorsett could draw some coverage and help to open up some underneath/intermediate routes for others. Neither Britt nor DA would command much respect in that scenario, at least not in my opinion.

On Britt supa his career average doesn't scream possession receiver that 15.6 apc shows he can attack most of the field. Britt didn't post his numbers with Elite QB's either. That said he's not a model citizen but neither his Josh Gordon.

Mack...Dorsett is a one trick pony let's not over state his necessity. I feel if it comes down to it I will still go with DA on the outside in a pinch. Not ideal but what have Dorsett done to this point to show that he can be somewhat effective??:confused:

140 yds receiving is more than Lewis has, and more than Allen Develin and Hollister combined; his ypc is 20.0 yds.

Only 41 of his 140 yds is YAC, so he's been successfully targeted fairly deep.

Dorsett's 7 of 11 is a 64% catch rate;
3 of those receptions have gone for 20yds+, including one for 38 and one for 39 (so his other 4 receptions have been in the 10-yard range).

He's also been a pretty decent downfield blocker for his size.

IMHO, not horribly "ineffective" for a 24-year-old #4WR who had no off-season or Camp with the Pats; shows some reasonable potential for next season.

140 yds receiving is more than Lewis has, and more than Allen Develin and Hollister combined; his ypc is 20.0 yds.

Only 41 of his 140 yds is YAC, so he's been successfully targeted fairly deep.

Dorsett's 7 of 11 is a 64% catch rate;
3 of those receptions have gone for 20yds+, including one for 38 and one for 39 (so his other 4 receptions have been in the 10-yard range).

He's also been a pretty decent downfield blocker for his size.

IMHO, not horribly "ineffective" for a 24-year-old #4WR who had no off-season or Camp with the Pats; shows some reasonable potential for next season.

Well Dorsett registered 0 snaps last game plus the Pats made a new acquisition not exactly ringing endorsement for Dorsett.

Well Dorsett registered 0 snaps last game plus the Pats made a new acquisition not exactly ringing endorsement for Dorsett.
I think the question is: was the signing of Britt more about Dorsett or more about the fact that Mitchell isn’t coming back? Or does Hogan’s lingering injury factor into things, as well?

That's one interpretation.

I honestly don't know why they'd leave a healthy guy on the bench who burned the Miami secondary for a 38-yrd reception just two weeks ago, while leaving Hogan on the field for 90% of the snaps when he struggled to run crisp routes, couldn't catch, and grimaced in pain more than once trying (and failing) to make a block.

But then, I'm not a mind reader.

But I do understand that Dorsett has failed to meet your expectations and that you view him as a disappointing mistake on BB's part.

The reason I'm not disappointed in Dorsett is that I really didn't have much in the way of expectations for him, so anything he's contributed this season, under the circumstances, seems like a bonus to me and seems to indicate some potential worth exploring next off-season and Camp.

As far as Britt's acquisition goes, it seems to me that has as much potential to be about temporarily covering for Hogan until he's back closer to 100% as it has potential to be about Dorsett.

We'll see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick