PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots sign TE Austin Hooper

You sure like to complain a lot. Perhaps you could ask your friend who is usually a good judge of talent what he thinks of Hooper. Or perhaps go root for a team you don’t have to consistently ***** about.
Complaining about players and coaches on 4-13 teams is as American as apple pie.

Seattle gave Pharaoh Brown a deal worth up to $3.9 million, and Pats gave Hooper a deal worth up to $4.25 million. Not sure but my gut feeling is Seattle got the better value.
I didn’t see this but if true….we should have re-signed Pharoah….what a bumble move

I didn’t see this but if true….we should have re-signed Pharoah….what a bumble move
Need room for a Draftee some nice TE's will be available Cade Stover or Ben Sinnott. :cool:

So I am confused. People are *****ing we brought in a 2 time pro bowl tight end to replace the 3rd string tight end from last years worst in the nfl offense?? I don’t mind giving the pass catchers a little bit of a mulligan based on the god awful qb play last year, but wow some people sure like to *****.
Yeah, I don't get it. Pharaoh had a couple nice games, but he's very much a JAG. This looks to be an upgrade a first glance.

Yeah, I don't get it. Pharaoh had a couple nice games, but he's very much a JAG. This looks to be an upgrade a first glance.

And the difference in money between what they paid Hooper and what Brown got in Seattle is half of what a UDFA makes per year.

And the difference in money between what they paid Hooper and what Brown got in Seattle is half of what a UDFA makes per year.
Yeah, it's nothing. This looks like a good signing.

Hooper is a Good signing wanted him few years back a move the sticks guy solid.
This is the key phrase.
This isn't 2016 Austin Hooper we're getting. This is 4th team in 4 years lining up his post-football career Austin Hooper.

Yeah, I liked what Pharoh Brown did and would have welcomed him back as a 3rd TE, but Hooper is better. And they're the same age too.

Sample size and the fact that most of his catches were non-contested. James Devlin had an almost 70% completion percentage, because his receptions usually came when teams weren't expecting him him out on a route so no one was responsible for him.

I liked Brown, he was on my re-sign list, but there isn't any reason to think he's better than Hooper. The difference isn't huge, but we're talking about a backup TE here. This was never going to be the pivotal offseason move, regardless of who it was.
That’s a lot of hand-waving away a clear record of actual production.

Worth noting that Brown was in CLE for 2022 so AVP worked with both of them.

Brown was marginally more productive as a receiver last year because he had one play vs the Jets where the LB bit hard on play action in cover zero and he broke free for a 58 yard TD. Hooper has a long track record of being productive as a receiver in 2 TE sets. They're the same age and if you go beyond just last season, where Brown was skewed by one fluke play, there really isn't a competition.

It is interesting that they signed Hooper for essentially the same contract that Harrison Bryant and Pharaoh Brown got, and he was the first signed. So clearly, AVP wanted Hooper.

If you believe PFF, if you go off of their top 10 free agent TEs, they gave Hooper the #3 receiving grade just barely below Dalton Schultz (Gerald Everrett was #1; Hunter Henry was #5, with a grade just a bit below Hooper) and his blocking grade was roughly equal to Henry, Fant and Everrett with the only guys way above that group being Schultz (the total package) and Adam Trautman (poor receiver). I could see Henry + Hooper being a good combo.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back