PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots sign TE Austin Hooper

So I am confused. People are *****ing we brought in a 2 time pro bowl tight end to replace the 3rd string tight end from last years worst in the nfl offense?? I don’t mind giving the pass catchers a little bit of a mulligan based on the god awful qb play last year, but wow some people sure like to *****.

Yeah, I don’t understand why people are upset about this one. We signed a second string TE with 25 career TDs while losing a guy with 3. While a minor mover overall, it’s certainly an upgrade.

So I am confused. People are *****ing we brought in a 2 time pro bowl tight end to replace the 3rd string tight end from last years worst in the nfl offense?? I don’t mind giving the pass catchers a little bit of a mulligan based on the god awful qb play last year, but wow some people sure like to *****.
I was pretty sure that Hooper has been more productive than Brown, but I didn't realize how much more until SBB posted the stats. It's not remotely close.

I think this move was fine, I see it more as replacing Gesicki than The Pharaoh. I hope they get a good young TE in the draft to replace Brown.

So how much money do we have left? Has to be 70+ no? Are we just sitting on that?

So how much money do we have left? Has to be 70+ no? Are we just sitting on that?
Miguel has around 50 mil still. And we have more than enough future space to still do whatever we want/can/need.

Miguel has around 50 mil still. And we have more than enough future space to still do whatever we want/can/need.
That's less than I thought given the signings so far. Did we frontload the contracts?

You don't want to spend money just to spend it. It's a weak FA class this year so you don't want to overpay for mediocre or worse talent.
Agreed and it is as weak an FA class as I can remember but I was hoping for a really good OL or WR.

Adequate replacement of giesicki (sp?)...

Not a lot of great tight ends out there... Wonder if Noah fant is still available

Yes, he’s a pretty good blocker. Not sure why he’s bounced around.

My guess, league trends towards more speed and explosiveness, and he's a solid player but never the priority when a team has to choose between two options to keep.

That's less than I thought given the signings so far. Did we frontload the contracts?
13 mil for Dugger, 8 or 9 for Jacoby, and a bunch of other moves too things start to add up. Still we have enough space to do whatever is necessary.

If BB had signed Hooper the move would not be good.

Pharaoh Brown had a stretch last season where he did not drop a pass.

If BB had signed Hooper the move would not be good.

Pharaoh Brown had a stretch last season where he did not drop a pass.

Sample size and the fact that most of his catches were non-contested. James Devlin had an almost 70% completion percentage, because his receptions usually came when teams weren't expecting him him out on a route so no one was responsible for him.

I liked Brown, he was on my re-sign list, but there isn't any reason to think he's better than Hooper. The difference isn't huge, but we're talking about a backup TE here. This was never going to be the pivotal offseason move, regardless of who it was.

13 mil for Dugger, 8 or 9 for Jacoby, and a bunch of other moves too things start to add up. Still we have enough space to do whatever is necessary.

Yep, and if they extend Dugger, which seems like a natural move, they will free up another sizable chunk of change.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back