PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign LB Bobby Carpenter

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not exactly true, as Scott has, at one point in time, displayed promise as a pass rusher, which as you know is something we desperately need.

Bobby Carpenter has been one notch above suck the entire time he's been in the league, and hasn't shown much of anything other than the ability to play linebacker at a very low level.

Like I said, it's possible BB can get something out of him... I just wouldn't count on it. The reason Scott excites some people is because he might be a replacement for Anderson if he can stay on the field.

I guess if you really think Scott's 13.5 career sacks are the difference maker for us... then I agree. We'll just have to see how they do.

My point: these two guys are both cheap off the trash heap. BB is throwing darts, low risk with possibilities.

The fact that the Trevor Scott thread is "hurrah, this is the year for us!!" and the Bobby Carpenter thread is "camp trash, jag, whatever" is entirely out of touch.

Last edited:
I guess if you really think Scott's 13.5 career sacks are the difference maker for us... then I agree. We'll just have to see how they do.

My point: these two guys are both cheap off the trash heap. BB is throwing darts, low risk with possibilities.

The fact that the Trevor Scott thread is "hurrah, this is the year for us!!" and the Bobby Carpenter thread is "camp trash, jag, whatever" is entirely out of touch.

Our biggest need right now is some sort of outside pass rush. Scott at least offers that possibility. Carpenter does not. For that reason alone, I'm more curious/anticipatory of Scott, though my brain tells me not to expect much/anything of either.

I would also say Scott has at least showed glimpses of being a solid NFL player. Another trait that would distinguish him from Carpenter.

He had a tremendous camp with Lions last yr and he was in their top 4 LB rotation backing up Durant. He was solid early on and played a lot but as the season wore on he did not play much over the last 2 mos (22 tkls first 9 games and 7 last 7). Despite the highlight pick-six vs Cowboys he struggles in coverage, he's pretty good vs run. Lions played him mostly on run downs and used him in their 4 LB jumbo short yardage package.

He's very inconsistent and the more he plays the worse he plays. If his plays are limited he could be a good back up. He'll certainly have his work cut out for him to make the team.

Last edited:
Our biggest need right now is some sort of outside pass rush. Scott at least offers that possibility. Carpenter does not. For that reason alone, I'm more curious/anticipatory of Scott, though my brain tells me not to expect much/anything of either.

I would also say Scott has at least showed glimpses of being a solid NFL player. Another trait that would distinguish him from Carpenter.

Glimpses. Well, now they can take their spots in camp along with Jermain Cunningham, and see which of them steps forward.

Carpenter: 89 games
Scott: 56 games

Carpenter: 3.5 sacks
Scott: 13.5 sacks

Carpenter: 96 tackles (1.08 tackle/game)
Scott: 61 tackles (1.09 tackle/game)

Carpenter: 1 INT, 0 FF
Scott: 0 INT, 1 FF

Scott has played 4 nfl seasons. In his first 2 seasons, he amassed 12 sacks.

Carpenter blows
Carpenter has always blown
Carpenter will probably always blow

Scott blows
Scott hasn't always blown, at least when it comes to getting to the QB
Scott offers more hope that he might not blow in the future

Last edited:
Nope. He's also been white ;)

I followed him back at OSU when there were the "3 white LB's with long hair."

One was AJ Hawk, one was Bobby Carpenter, and one was.....

(Ninja help me out here)

Anthony Schlegel. Though he was the third wheel of that LB unit.

Bobby Seward :confused2:

I'm more than OK with this signing. Let's see if this kid has anything left at all....or even if our coaching staff can get his motor going a bit.

Bobby flipping Carpenter, wow. Had a little chuckle when I saw this - I was a lurker on here back in early 2006, and he was without a doubt the binky of the draft forum. I thought there was going to be meltdown when we picked Maroney instead (which was the right thing to do IMVHO).

So, anyway - don't see what the fuss is all about. We need bodies at LB - we have our starters in place but after that it's up in the air. Carpenter will cost very little, if he works out it's good, if not we've lost very very little. I still expect us to bring in a LB via the Draft, whether Drafted or a UDFA.

Stop getting worked up folks, it's April, we haven't played a down yet :)

While playing for Dallas, Bobby Carpenter once starred in a music video for a friend.

Bad quality but this was the only active link I could find.

video - YouTube

colossal bust his whole career, couldn't start in Dallas after being a first rounder, ILB, outside LB, played special teams so bad for Miami, against us, that he got a coach fired!

Jets' Special Teams Coach Says Bobby Carpenter Got a Coach Fired

has to be just a camp body or a long shot to turn the clock back to whatever skills it was that made him a 1st round pick in Bill Parcells' or Jerry Jones' eyes.

I am that old that I can remember the mock-drafts and the posts on this forum saying we should pick him in the first round

Zero, repeat zero, risk. He isn't any smaller or slower than he was a few years ago.

Why the heck not? It's Easter, time for resurrection Bobby (though I'm not really sure what that would be).

Lol.. what's the over/under on how long this thread goes?

Many a people are finally happy... one of the most popular "draft binkies" on the forum that I can remember.

Doubt he makes the 53.

The Dream Team.

Top 10 pick Vern Gholston is also out of work.

Only difference between Scott and Carpenter is that Carpenter was a disappointment after being picked at #18 in the 1st round, and Scott was a 6th rounder who made good. That's the only difference. Other than that, they're the same guy. Same size, same productivity, same likelihood to be successful.

If you disagree, find me something really exciting about Trevor Scott that puts Bobby Carpenter to shame.

Scott has only played for 1 NFL team.

Carpenter has been cut from 4 different NFL teams.

BB gets criticized for his draft picks, and here is a former number one by Saint Bill of New Jersey, who can never do any wrong, that has been floating around the NFL..

Only substantiates my belief that the draft is a crapshoot at best, and there are a lot of misses all over the NFL...

Low risk, possible reward on this pick..

Isn't he the Adam Sandler "Waterboy" character?:D

Yup, I remember all the folks here screaming to draft the guy. (I was not among them :D.)

I dodged that bullet.

Im glad that I wanted Laurence "Koolaid Maroney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes