PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots sign DT Davon Godchaux

It looks like he has some decent pursuit for a DT his size. Might be better suited than just a north south run stopper even tough i hope we still get one fatty

Godchaux is a legitimate nose tackle who automatically upgrades the two-gap scheme. He was a monster at LSU. Hightower in the middle of the young linebacking crew also improves the run defense. I don't know much about the other defenders signed today (LB Judon, DL Anderson and DB Mills), but all seem like solid veterans. They'll return with a good defense.

Godchaux is a legitimate nose tackle who automatically upgrades the two-gap scheme. He was a monster at LSU. Hightower in the middle of the young linebacking crew also improves the run defense. I don't know much about the other defenders signed today (LB Judon, DL Anderson and DB Mills), but all seem like solid veterans. They'll return with a good defense.
... Assuming out O isn't so spectacularly bad that it puts the D in bad field positions on the regular. That's a worry because it kind of happened to the Steelers last year and we saw how that ended. And I honestly think that the corpse of Roethlisberger is probably still better than Newton.

The key to the way the patriots want to play defense is being able to stop the run from nickel. That is not easy to do. If you can do it, you can stay in nickel and be aggressive on the edges to play the pass. If you can’t stop the run, you end up in bad down and distances all day and you have a smallish defense worried about getting steamrolled that opens up the pass.

Hightower is a HUGE piece of that. He is one of the biggest strongest, stoutest LBs in the league and holds up fighting off OL. Having 2 bid stud run defenders which we signed today completes that.
Those 3 players make the other 8s jobs either much much easier or much much harder.

... Assuming out O isn't so spectacularly bad that it puts the D in bad field positions on the regular. That's a worry because it kind of happened to the Steelers last year and we saw how that ended. And I honestly think that the corpse of Roethlisberger is probably still better than Newton.
The offense is going to be fine. Excellent RBs, solid receiving corps after yesterday's three signings (Agholor, Jonnu Smith, and Bourne), and returns of WR Marqise Lee and TE LaCosse.

And then there is the draft. Belichick has five picks in the first four rounds. The signing of Godchaux changed a lot. I was pretty sure BB would go NT with the first round selection since he could get the best interior DL on the board at 15. Now, I suspect the 1st will be an interior OL to replace to fill the gap created by the loss of Thuney.

Everybody is sweating the QB situation. It's important to realize that there are only two guys in the QB room right now - Stidham and Newton with a total APY of $6 million. Belichick will bring in at least two more QBs before camp, and maybe another before week one after cuts are made. Let's not draw any conclusions just yet.

Personally, I don't think the 2021 QB starter is on the team yet.

The offense is going to be fine. Excellent RBs, solid receiving corps after yesterday's three signings (Agholor, Jonnu Smith, and Bourne), and returns of WR Marqise Lee and TE LaCosse.

And then there is the draft. Belichick has five picks in the first four rounds. The signing of Godchaux changed a lot. I was pretty sure BB would go NT with the first round selection since he could get the best interior DL on the board at 15. Now, I suspect the 1st will be an interior OL to replace to fill the gap created by the loss of Thuney.

Everybody is sweating the QB situation. It's important to realize that there are only two guys in the QB room right now - Stidham and Newton with a total APY of $6 million. Belichick will bring in at least two more QBs before camp, and maybe another before week one after cuts are made. Let's not draw any conclusions just yet.

Personally, I don't think the 2021 QB starter is on the team yet.
I'm still eyeing Brissett TBH. newton's deal is very expendable and I'd rather have the younger guy, even if he doesn't quite bring the same assets on the ground.

Any moves that keep Danny Shelton and Malcom Brown off the team are moves made with the heart in the right place.
I completely disagree.

I'd rather have Shelton & Brown than Henry Anderson/Carl Davis/Dee Wise.

Guy is Gone, unfortunately; he & Godchaux (& Anderson, except Anderson sucks) are the Same player.

Butler is likely gone too; so our DL is overall the same as it was before yesterday, for now...

And we still need a Wide-Body.

I completely disagree.

Guy is Gone, unfortunately; he & Godchaux (& Anderson, except Anderson sucks) are the Same player.

Butler is likely gone too; so our DL is overall the same as it was before yesterday, for now...

Nah, that's just you trolling.

I completely disagree.

Godchaux isn't Guy - much more of a pure NT. He is a wide-body and can't be blocked with one guy, rarely moves backwards.

If you're looking for a big, physical NT who'll immediately help against the run you should be happy with Godchaux.

Anderson is a closer comp to Guy, but he's a bit longer with more versatility and interior pass-rush. I'm happy with both signings.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back